ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons after Purdue Game

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Some thoughts after week 1:
Pros:
1. Our young RBs, Singleton and Allen, definitely showed more potential than we had last year in the RB room. Despite his scoring the game winning TD, K Lee, simply doesn't appear to have the burst of the Freshmen. Yes, run-blocking still needs to improve, but the future is bright with these two.
2. Chop Robinson - Most of the pressure he applied was on the final drive, yet he showed an impressive first step. While he likely won't reach AK levels of dominance, he could provide a solid pass rush.
3. Mitchell Tinsley - Another win for the transfer portal! Kid was very solid and looks to be great for YAC.
4. Barney Amor - It was easy to take Jordan Stout's punting for granted last season. He was so consistently awesome. Amor was very impressive, after his first punt which was shaky. Long punts and good at getting the ball inside the 10. Impressive.
5. Defensive Secondary - Yes there is still some hands-on stuff that needs to get cleaned up. However, there is a ton of impressive talent back there in Porter, Jr., Brown, Hardy, K King, Wheatley, and on and on.
6. Even in one series, his talent was undeniable. The pass he made that Warren dropped was a thing of beauty.
7. GUTS - The team has some guts. On the road, not playing great, they gutted out the W. Says a lot about character.
Cons:
1. Clifford's inconsistency - Airmailing that INT on a just brutally horrible pass, still gets happy feet before he's really being pressured, injury prone. The kid is a warrior, but it's understandable to wonder if his ceiling is around a B+, which is not enough if the team wants to do big things.
2. Caedan Wallace - Won't rag on him too much, but he's just too easily beaten by speed rushers. Whether it's Effner or something else, changes need to be made.
3. LBs - A definite weakness. Even the fantastic Jacobs was not as impactful in his new position as he was the end of last year. Elsdon's lack of speed is huge. Hoping Kobe King and Abdul Carter can affect a positive change here.
4. On the bright side in the OL, I thought Fashanu, Scruggs and Wormley were very solid. Hoping Tengwall can improve a bit further. Maybe he goes to RT?
5. Dropped passes. Awful. No excuse for the volume of drops. Hopefully, that improves.

In the end, this doesn't appear to be a 10 win team, but I could see 9, and all the impressive, young talent will be fun to watch this year.

Last edited:
I think Elsdon's problem was not anticipating where the play was going not his lack of speed. Most linebackers are slower than the players they're chasing, the good ones get in the ballhandlers path before they arrive.

What happened with Tarburton? Is he hurt?

Reactions: hlstone
I think Elsdon's problem was not anticipating where the play was going not his lack of speed. Most linebackers are slower than the players they're chasing, the good ones get in the ballhandlers path before they arrive.

What happened with Tarburton? Is he hurt?
It's possible it was both a lack of anticipating where the play was going combined with a lack of speed. A brutal combination. Not sure about Tarburton. He's not much of a pass rusher, regardless.

It's possible it was both a lack of anticipating where the play was going combined with a lack of speed. A brutal combination. Not sure about Tarburton. He's not much of a pass rusher, regardless.
Did he play? I don't remember seeing him out there.

Pros:
1. Our young RBs, Singleton and Allen, definitely showed more potential than we had last year in the RB room. Despite his scoring the game winning TD, K Lee, simply doesn't appear to have the burst of the Freshman. Yes, run-blocking still needs to improve, but the future is bright with these two.
2. Chop Robinson - Most of the pressure he applied was on the final drive, yet he showed an impressive first step. While he likely won't reach AK levels of dominance, he could provide a solid pass rush.
3. Mitchell Tinsley - Another win for the transfer portal! Kid was very solid and looks to be great for YAC.
4. Barney Amor - It was easy to take Jordan Stout's punting for granted last season. He was so consistently awesome. Amor was very impressive, after his first punt which was shaky. Long punts and good at getting the ball inside the 10. Impressive.
5. Defensive Secondary - Yes there is still some hands-on stuff that needs to get cleaned up. However, there is a ton of impressive talent back there in Porter, Jr., Brown, Hardy, K King, Wheatley, and on and on.
6. Even in one series, his talent was undeniable. The pass he made that Warren dropped was a thing of beauty.
7. GUTS - The team has some guts. On the road, not playing great, they gutted out the W. Says a lot about character.
Cons:
1. Clifford's inconsistency - Airmailing that INT on a just brutally horrible pass, still gets happy feet before he's really being pressured, injury prone. The kid is a warrior, but it's understandable to wonder if his ceiling is around a B+, which is not enough if the team wants to do big things.
2. Caedan Wallace - Won't rag on him too much, but he's just too easily beaten by speed rushers. Whether it's Effner or something else, changes need to be made.
3. LBs - A definite weakness. Even the fantastic Jacobs was not as impactful in his new position as he was the end of last year. Elsdon's lack of speed is huge. Hoping Kobe King and Abdul Carter can affect a positive change here.
4. On the bright side in the OL, I thought Fashanu, Scruggs and Wormley were very solid. Hoping Tengwall can improve a bit further. Maybe he goes to RT?
5. Dropped passes. Awful. No excuse for the volume of drops. Hopefully, that improves.

In the end, this doesn't appear to be a 10 win team, but I could see 9, and all the impressive, young talent will be fun to watch this year.
Wallace is horrible. No such thing as ragging too much because psu was lucky that didn't cost them the game. Only reason the game winner drive happens is because they finally benched him.

If Clifford/Allar can get the ball to Washington/Tinsley, then I expect both Washington and Tinsley to be All Americans this season. They are both very good receivers and they should make our passing offense dangerous, but how effective will Clifford/Allar be this season is the big question.

Pros:
1. Our young RBs, Singleton and Allen, definitely showed more potential than we had last year in the RB room. Despite his scoring the game winning TD, K Lee, simply doesn't appear to have the burst of the Freshman. Yes, run-blocking still needs to improve, but the future is bright with these two.
Cons:

Auburn will be big for this young team. They took a young team to Purdue against a solid experienced team and found a way to win on the road. If they can go into SEC country and win, the young guys grow up even more. If they are undefeated going into Michigan, the road atmosphere should not be an issue and the talent level will be similar.
They do need to figure out the best OLine combination and improve linebacker play.

Reactions: therod
The frustrating thing is that Wallace was very highly ranked and I don’t remember him being considered a project. Yet he looks like he’s Sterling Jenkins 2.0. We haven’t had a good right tackle in what feels like 20 years.

I thought Lee looked like he was carrying the ball more securely, he scares me with fumbles. The front 7 look smallish, can't really judge them until they go against a good running team.

I would like to see our defense tackle people by wrapping up instead of going for a big hit and letting the ball carrier bounce off of them. That’s not too much to ask for, is it?

Pros:
Cons:

#1 Pro is a "W" imho.

Reactions: McCloudersportLion
The frustrating thing is that Wallace was very highly ranked and I don’t remember him being considered a project. Yet he looks like he’s Sterling Jenkins 2.0. We haven’t had a good right tackle in what feels like 20 years.
The even more frustrating thing is in 8+ yrs under JF, he is so reluctant to make a statement to a player who isn't very good by benching him. Maybe there will be a new JF approach as in his postgame presser, he directly mentioned that CW has to improve...I was beyond stunned. It should be next man up mentality for a major program with our tradition, history, etc. We all love JF and his family atmosphere and wanting to be friends with his players and have camaraderie, etc. But, in no way shape or form, based on week 1, should CWallace start vs Ohio. He was benched in that 4th quarter, and on the money drive of the game, mid-level recruit, and undersized OT, Bryce Effner, got the call. If JF follows his normal suit, he'll make zero changes vs Ohio....if we have a new JF, Caedan will be the backup and play in a rotational basis. But, he shouldn't start until Effner or whomever is the next RT begins to stink. That's how programs with championship aspirations are run. CW got beat like a drum the entire game vs Purdue. Imagine what Auburn and MIchigan would do to him and Cliff...arguably the two best fronts we'll face this season.

Auburn will be big for this young team. They took a young team to Purdue against a solid experienced team and found a way to win on the road. If they can go into SEC country and win, the young guys grow up even more. If they are undefeated going into Michigan, the road atmosphere should not be an issue and the talent level will be similar.
They do need to figure out the best OLine combination and improve linebacker play.
If PSU beats Auburn they have a chance at a 10 win season.

I think the staff has to help the OL by varying the play calling. Constant running between the tackles is too predictable.

ADVERTISEMENT