ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons after the Northwestern Game

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
There is no doubt this was an ugly game in many ways. That said, there were still some positive signs amidst the mediocre performance. Also, we got out of it with another win, relatively healthy and we can go into the bye week to prepare for a massive game against scUM.
Pros:
1. PJ Mustipher - He was an absolute BEAST inside in an incredible run-stopping performance. If there were any doubts remaining about his health, and there shouldn't have been at this point, they were officially erased by his dominance in this game.
2. B Amor - A case could be made that this young man is the MVP on the season thus far. I know that's not terribly exciting, but he's simply been outstanding, both in average distance per punt and also with his uncanny ability to consistently drop punts inside the 10 yard line, with the control of a pro golfer with a 9 Iron. This kid will be a factor in some close games on the horizon.
3. H Beamon - The series where he blocked 2 passes in a row is a glimpse into how disruptive he can be. Especially, in passing downs.
4. The Defense - They allowed just 31 rushing yards and just 4 conversions on 16 3rd Downs. The numerous PSU turnovers frequently gave NW a short field and the D responded, time after time.
5. CJF learned from a prior mistake. Despite what some posters on here proclaim about his steadfast adherence to analytics, he opted to punt on 4th and 1, near midfield very early in the game. In the Auburn game he went for it, failed, and spotted Auburn 3 points that could have easily been avoided. In this game, he punted, and Amor responded by pinning NW deep. A smart move, dictated by the game situation. Well done, Coach!
6. Jacobs and Carter - It does seem that they were on the field simultaneously more often. It's a positive step. It's just got to continue to happen more frequently. Again, these 2 are the best LBs on the team by far and it's a long gap to the next LB. They need to be on the field simultaneously 85-90% of the time.
Cons:
1. Turnovers - Obviously, this was bad. A couple of them were really nice plays by NW in that they put their helmet right on the football, forcing a fumble, but many were just bad mistakes. Of course, this can't happen going forward, but given our turnover margin performance in the first 4 games before yesterday, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and labeling this a one-off.
2. S Clifford - Really tough day. I realize the weather was bad but it does speak to his inconsistency. If we get the Clifford vs Auburn then we beat Michigan. If we get yesterday's Clifford, we lose vs scUM. It's that simple. The overthrows of wide open guys were particularly infuriating.
3. Our 3rd Down efficiency - Or, inefficiency more accurately. Just 4 of 15. Unacceptable.
4. Penalites - 7 Penalties is too many. Need to clean it up.

Overall, it's a W, now let's go to the Quiet House and put it on scUM!

WE ARE!!!

Last edited:
There is no doubt this was an ugly game in many ways. That said, there were still some positive signs amidst the mediocre performance. Also, we got out of it with another win, relatively healthy and we can go into the bye week to prepare for a massive game against scUM.
Pros:
1. PJ Mustipher - He was an absolute BEAST inside in an incredible run-stopping performance. If there were any doubts remaining about his health, and there shouldn't have been at this point, they were officially erased by his dominance in this game.
2. B Amor - A case could be made that this young man is the MVP on the season thus far. I know that's not terribly exciting, but he's simply been outstanding, both in average distance per punt and also with his uncanny ability to consistently drop punts inside the 10 yard line, with the control of a pro golfer with a 9 Iron. This kid will be a factor in some close games on the horizon.
3. H Beamon - The series where he blocked 2 passes in a row is a glimpse into how disruptive he can be. Especially, in passing downs.
4. The Defense - They allowed just 31 rushing yards and just 4 conversions on 16 3rd Downs. The numerous PSU turnovers frequently gave NW a short field and the D responded, time after time.
5. CJF learned from a prior mistake. Despite what some posters on here proclaim about his steadfast adherence to analytics, he opted to punt on 4th and 1, near midfield very early in the game. In the Auburn game he went for it, failed, and spotted Auburn 3 points that could have easily been avoided. In this game, he punted, and Amor responded by pinning NW deep. A smart move, dictated by the game situation. Well done, Coach!
6. Jacobs and Carter - It does seem that they were on the field simultaneously more often. It's a positive step. It's just got to continue to happen more frequently. Again, these 2 are the best LBs on the team by far and it's a long gap to the next LB. They need to be on the field simultaneously 85-90% of the time.
Cons:
1. Turnovers - Obviously, this was bad. A couple of them were really nice plays by NW in that they put their helmet right on the football, forcing a fumble, but many were just bad mistakes. Of course, this can't happen going forward, but given our turnover margin performance in the first 4 games before yesterday, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and labeling this a one-off.
2. S Clifford - Really tough day. I realize the weather was bad but it does speak to his inconsistency. If we get the Clifford vs Auburn then we beat Michigan. If we get yesterday's Clifford, we lose vs scUM. It's that simple. The overthrows of wide open guys were particularly infuriating.
3. Our 3rd Down efficiency - Or, inefficiency more accurately. Just 4 of 15. Unacceptable.

WE ARE!!!
Good post. We have a shot, and Clifford is the key. Michigan is good, but not elite. Balance on offense is the key.
Hopefully our blitzing aggressive style on Defense won’t give up too many big plays.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Pros:
Cons:

WE ARE!!!

Your number 1 should be the defense.

In any prior year our defense would have given up a TD or two early putting us in the hole.

LdN

Reactions: NedFromYork
I would say Strange was a big pro. He continues to be dominant weapon when we need him. Blocking is alot better as well.

I would say Run D was a pro but pass D was suspect. There were many plays where NW receiver was open but QB just missed them by a hair. Numbers might look ok but does not tell story. We were lucky over good yesterday.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I hated to see the turnovers just like everyone else. I’ll chalk it up to the law of averages catching up a bit. PLus, better against MW than with one of the next three opponents

I would say Strange was a big pro. He continues to be dominant weapon when we need him. Blocking is alot better as well.

I would say Run D was a pro but pass D was suspect. There were many plays where NW receiver was open but QB just missed them by a hair. Numbers might look ok but does not tell story. We were lucky over good yesterday.
Penn State wasn’t good, but they weren’t lucky. NW had a whopping 8 yards after the 5 turnovers. NW’s only TD was on a coverage breakdown. As Al Davis always said—just win baby.

Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT