ADVERTISEMENT

PSU drops 3 spots to justify TCU ranked above Ohio St

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
It's whatever the committee wants. No reason to drop PSU 3 spots other than to take away a top 10 win from Ohio St and give TCUs loss better optics with it coming to #9.

Anyone believe that 3 loss K St who lost to Tulane is better than 2 loss PSU? Don't think so. But they didn't want Ohio St at 3 to play Michigan. So they found a way.

It's whatever the committee wants. No reason to drop PSU 3 spots other than to take away a top 10 win from Ohio St and give TCUs loss better optics with it coming to #9.

Anyone believe that 3 loss K St who lost to Tulane is better than 2 loss PSU? Don't think so. But they didn't want Ohio St at 3 to play Michigan. So they found a way.
Given our schedule, you really shouldn't try to dump on K State. They have better wins than than we do. Who is say we would beat Tulane? They are a better team than Purdue is and they are easily our best win. Every team ahead of us has a better resume as do several teams behind. Chill.

To me this tells you the committee is a complete farce. They didn't want Ohio State Michigan II so they had to lie about TCU being #3 above #4 Ohio St.

But in order for that lie to not seem too fishy, they had to lie again and drop 2 loss PSU 3 spots below 3 loss K St (with one loss to non-power 5 team).

It's a complete farce. Dishonest and corrupt. That is the world we now live in. Water isn't wet.

Can't state TCU should be in then complain about this. We have zero quality wins

To me this tells you the committee is a complete farce. They didn't want Ohio State Michigan II so they had to lie about TCU being #3 above #4 Ohio St.

But in order for that lie to not seem too fishy, they had to lie again and drop 2 loss PSU 3 spots below 3 loss K St (with one loss to non-power 5 team).

It's a complete farce. Dishonest and corrupt. That is the world we now live in. Water isn't wet.
Different from when Texas was handed the title over us how? Or Nebraska for that matter

All the moaning about rankings...good lord...who cares at this point. We have one last chance to get a signature win for the season and finish in the Top 10...a loss and we are probably low to mid teens. It's as simple as that. A win I think is crucial for momentum and preseason ranking for next yr....not to mention confidence in JF from a recruiting standpoint...JF could sure use a bowl win over a Power 5 opponent. All this complaining on Twitter and on the message boards about our ranking…. like it's ridiculous when you compare our resume to the others in the top 10… we were afforded a chance at the granddaddy of them all... well let's capitalize.

It’s hard to be upset about the rankings. After all, we are going to get to play in the Rose Bowl against a really good Utah team. If we beat Utah, then you know that sets us up for next year and going forward so let’s go.

Reactions: BBHorn86
All the moaning about rankings...good lord...who cares at this point. We have one last chance to get a signature win for the season and finish in the Top 10...a loss and we are probably low to mid teens. It's as simple as that. A win I think is crucial for momentum and preseason ranking for next yr....not to mention confidence in JF from a recruiting standpoint...JF could sure use a bowl win over a Power 5 opponent. All this complaining on Twitter and on the message boards about our ranking…. like it's ridiculous when you compare our resume to the others in the top 10… we were afforded a chance at the granddaddy of them all... well let's capitalize.
If you believe that Utah is good, but if we do win then they are just another 4 loss team.

Reactions: hlstone
7-5 record, right Wally?? lol
If we played a typical Big Ten schedule, possible. But, we played a bunch of losers. Hard to tell. We played the easiest schedule we have played in the Big Ten era. Let's see how we do against Utah who played a more difficult schedule and actually has quality wins. If you want to gloat, gloat after the Rose Bowl. Until then, pound sand.

Reactions: scrivener
And Utah is a very good football team., we will have our hands full no doubt !

Reactions: scrivener
If you believe that Utah is good, but if we do win then they are just another 4 loss team.
When did I infer anything like that? They are a very good football team -- winners of the Pac 12, experienced, physical, extremely well coached. A win over them would be the best win of the season and a real statement for PSU going into next season.

Reactions: CbusLion10
When did I infer anything like that? They are a very good football team -- winners of the Pac 12, experienced, physical, extremely well coached. A win over them would be the best win of the season and a real statement for PSU going into next season.
We win by 20 or lose by 40 it has no impact on next season.
Michigan lost by 23 to Georgia last year yet went 13-0 so far this year
TCU wasn't even in a bowl game and are in the playoffs
This is just about extra practices

Reactions: mydome88
While somewhat true, you're pushing it now.
Winning the Rose bowl means something. The experience means something. Playing in that stadium means something. Clifford tweeted it's a dream come true an hour ago. It's still not more important than Joey Porter's future professional career but it's good for the players, coaches and program. So it does in fact mean something...but it's not for a championship so it's basically an exhibition.
If it were the Gator Bowl I'd fully agree.
I played a game in a major professional stadium in high school and it was unforgettable.

While somewhat true, you're pushing it now.
Winning the Rose bowl means something. The experience means something. Playing in that stadium means something. Clifford tweeted it's a dream come true an hour ago. It's still not more important than Joey Porter's future professional career but it's good for the players, coaches and program. So it does in fact mean something...but it's not for a championship so it's basically an exhibition.
If it were the Gator Bowl I'd fully agree.
I played a game in a major professional stadium in high school and it was unforgettable.
It's likely Clifford's last chance to play football of course he's going to cherish it
I played hockey games at the Civic Arena in high school and it was awesome but it was a playoff game. It still would have been "fun" if it wasn't but it wouldn't have been as special IMO.
A lot of kids probably love bowl games--they get a nice trip, free stuff, etc but in the grand scheme it doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean they can't enjoy it. Guys still agree to go to the Pro Bowl and play in All Stars game but they don't take it seriously. I see this as the same thing. It's just an experience. They should enjoy it.
But the key takeaway is it means nothing for next year.
Do you think Clifford would rather be getting ready to go to Columbus or Fort Worth this weekend to play for a chance to move on and extend his career?

It's likely Clifford's last chance to play football of course he's going to cherish it
I played hockey games at the Civic Arena in high school and it was awesome but it was a playoff game. It still would have been "fun" if it wasn't but it wouldn't have been as special IMO.
A lot of kids probably love bowl games--they get a nice trip, free stuff, etc but in the grand scheme it doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean they can't enjoy it. Guys still agree to go to the Pro Bowl and play in All Stars game but they don't take it seriously. I see this as the same thing. It's just an experience. They should enjoy it.
But the key takeaway is it means nothing for next year.
Do you think Clifford would rather be getting ready to go to Columbus or Fort Worth this weekend to play for a chance to move on and extend his career?
But it does mean something for next year because a new guy gets to play in Jahan Dotson's spot or Porter's spot. Now a new player gets big eyeball game experience and a new backup emerges behind him.
It also becomes part of historical DNA. Joe Paterno's excellent bowl record was a major part of his legacy. He was, by all accounts, a really great bowl game coach.
It matters, just not in a championship way, which yes, is always the ultimate goal.

What the phuck is new about this... The CFP has been corrupt consistently since year 1.

Last edited:
But it does mean something for next year because a new guy gets to play in Jahan Dotson's spot or Porter's spot. Now a new player gets big eyeball game experience and a new backup emerges behind him.
It also becomes part of historical DNA. Joe Paterno's excellent bowl record was a major part of his legacy. He was, by all accounts, a really great bowl game coach.
It matters, just not in a championship way, which yes, is always the ultimate goal.
Because when Paterno coached there wasn't a playoff. Now they're scrimmages as Saban made very clear yesterday. Times change

I doubt that was the reason.

Kansas State beat TCU so they were going to move up.

Utah beat USC so they were going to move up.

Clemson beat NC handily so you can argue they should move up so let's say we should be ahead of them. Fo you really think OSU's strength of schedule is much worse with PSU ranked 11 instead of 10.

Three teams that now have a better win than us move ahead of us. Why doesn't that make sense?

Three teams that now have a better win than us move ahead of us. Why doesn't that make sense?
So a better win erases the losses? And how many of those teams would have gotten that better win if they were in the Big 10 East? None because they wouldn’t have sniffed the CCG with three losses. So squeak out a spot in the CCG by winning a weak division, win that CCG against the other winner in a weaker conference, and vault up the polls due to that one win. Yeah, makes sense except for the fact that teams in tougher divisions don’t get into their CCG.

This is well known, I mentioned it in an earlier thread, and there was 2014 when TCU was 3rd the week before the final games, but then dropped to 5th mysteriously, dropping out of the playoffs, despite winning their last game 55-3. They decide what matchups they want and then set the rankings accordingly.

Two points:

1) The expanded playoffs will fix this - we'll be arguing over which team with two or three losses gets excluded instead.

2) People forget, or are too young to remember, the old system where you couldn't even match teams up. Bowls were set by conference affiliation. UGA would play an opponent they would hand-pick in the Sugar bowl and then be crowned national champion, and that would be it.

Reactions: Online Persona
Because their losses are much worse. We would have run the table in the ACC and Big12 while maybe being 1 loss PAC12 champ at worst. K St lost to a non-power 5 team for heavens sake, Utah lost to 6-6 Florida, and both have more losses than PSU despite PSU playing 2 of the playoff teams.

Last edited:
This is well known, I mentioned it in an earlier thread, and there was 2014 when TCU was 3rd the week before the final games, but then dropped to 5th mysteriously, dropping out of the playoffs, despite winning their last game 55-3. They decide what matchups they want and then set the rankings accordingly.

Two points:

1) The expanded playoffs will fix this - we'll be arguing over which team with two or three losses gets excluded instead.

2) People forget, or are too young to remember, the old system where you couldn't even match teams up. Bowls were set by conference affiliation. UGA would play an opponent they would hand-pick in the Sugar bowl and then be crowned national champion, and that would be it.
I agree with you except a 12 team playoff fixing things. They will still go into a backroom and make things look the way they want using criteria that changes year to year and even week to week.

What will happen is teams that should get byes won't. Teams that should host playoff games won't (we would be one of those this year). And the cabal will rearrange things to suit themselves and whomever else is influencing them. None of it will be fair. More teams will get screwed to produce their desired outcome.

The ONLY way that it is fixed is with 4 power conferences each sending their champion to the playoff. It cannot be done with 5 power 5 conferences playing a different number of conference games, allowing different levels of scheduling for non-conference games, notre Dame wanting to do their own thing when it suits them but thinking they should get a shot, etc. Everyone plays by the same rules and no back room decisions requiring rerankings to justify what they sold us.

Because their losses are much worse. We would have run the table in the ACC and Big12 while maybe being 1 loss PAC12 champ at worst. K St lost to a non-power 5 team for heavens sake, Utah lost to 6-6 Florida, and both have more losses than PSU despite PSU playing 2 of the playoff teams.
That is pure speculation. We don't know how good we are. All three teams have worse losses but better wins and that non-power 5 team is worse than our losses but better than our best win.

We would have run the table in the ACC and Big12 while maybe being 1 loss PAC12 champ at worst.
This isn't true at all. Maybe the ACC but the Big XII and Pac XII were much tougher than the Big Ten after the top 3. We only had two games on the schedule we could have lost this year and we lost both.

Winning always helps

The most troubling part to me is that Penn state went from a solid 8th, to being pushed down to 11th and on the brink of not making the playoffs in a couple years when they expand to 12 teams. I think with the 12 team playoff, almost have to think of doing away with conf champ games. You’ll have 10 teams that can play themselves into or out of the playoffs while other teams sit idle. It made sense with a 4 team playoff. But with 12 teams, it’s just way too many moving parts.

I saw multiple projections last night that had TCU staying at #3. They didn’t have anything to do with PSU. No one was thinking about PSU. TCU finished the regular season undefeated and played in a CCG. OSU didn’t. OSU has a better loss but TCU had a close loss in OT (thanks to some really boneheaded coaching decisions). I think it was reasonable to leave them be.

Call me crazy but maybe KSU got moved up because they added a CCG and a conference championship to their resume.

The most troubling part to me is that Penn state went from a solid 8th, to being pushed down to 11th and on the brink of not making the playoffs in a couple years when they expand to 12 teams. I think with the 12 team playoff, almost have to think of doing away with conf champ games. You’ll have 10 teams that can play themselves into or out of the playoffs while other teams sit idle. It made sense with a 4 team playoff. But with 12 teams, it’s just way too many moving parts.
That is a good point. If you're sitting at #10, is it worth a chance at a conference championship and moving up a couple spots, to risk missing out on playoffs altogether? Seems like a question they wouldn't want teams to have to make

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT