ADVERTISEMENT

PSU drops 3 spots to justify TCU ranked above Ohio St

As someone stated above the thing that really was brought to light was PSU being dropped to #11. If the expanded playoff was in, you make it, but hardly. Where this gets me, is depending how things play out and where divisions fall across College football, if the 12 team playoff was in, Purdue somehow beats Michigan, they are Conference champ, and an automatic bye to the next round. You would have had a 9-4 team advance. PSU in this scenario and if everything else plays out is probably bumped out at 10-2. I know that there is no way to close every loop hole but the thought that a team with 4 or 5 losses could make it to a bye in the playoffs is crazy to me. I wish they would have put a limit on the number of losses a team could have before they qualified for a bye if they won a conference championship. I get the automatic bids but , gees this is going to get some team that deserves to go booted out by a team that got lucky on one day.
You need to ditch the divisions within the conferences to eliminate the 8-4 teams winning a championship. That won’t happen once divisions go bye bye. The top 2 teams in the division will play, period.

if the 12 team playoff was in, Purdue somehow beats Michigan, they are Conference champ, and an automatic bye to the next round. You would of had a 9-4 team advance
9-4 Big Ten Champion Purdue would NOT have been one of the four highest ranked conference champions and therefore would NOT have had a first round bye.

I get that. Doesn’t mean I can’t point out the inconsistent logic, which is really the committee’s trademark at this point.

The number of spots they’re playing around with starting in 2 seasons will just give them more opportunities to weigh specific criteria differently depending on the brand, not less.
I fully expect the "logic" to greatly be altered by 2024

I’m not sure everyone understands the new playoff structure. It’s not going to be top 12 get in; it’s six highest ranked conference champions (Tulane would have been the 6th this year) and the six highest ranked non-champions. #12 Washington wouldn’t have made it this year. Yes - a Purdue win would have knocked us out too.

I’m not sure everyone understands the new playoff structure. It’s not going to be top 12 get in; it’s six highest ranked conference champions (Tulane would have been the 6th this year) and the six highest ranked non-champions. #12 Washington wouldn’t have made it this year. Yes - a Purdue win would have knocked us out too.
Yes we all get Tulane was in and we'd be 12--there's countless posts in this thread that say we'd be 12
This is also why 24 teams is needed. Conference champs are still being left out.

You need to ditch the divisions within the conferences to eliminate the 8-4 teams winning a championship. That won’t happen once divisions go bye bye. The top 2 teams in the division will play, period.
So the last two years would have been osu vs Michigan part 1 and part 2? Then, in a 12 team playoff, we could have had part 3? Which could happen with TCU/Kansas State and Utah/USC?

This all also assumes that all Power 5 conferences are created equal. Just get rid of CCGs. Each conference can name a champ through season play and tie-breakers. Even with a 12 team playoff, the winner is playing 3 or 4 extra games. Plus a CCG. A team that loses their CCG, and then wins it all would play a 17 game season.

Agreed. This structure seems really dumb. Clemson at 3 and Utah at 4 is just stupid. But they’d be the 3rd and 4th highest ranked conf champs.

FjKJvUhWIAAAdTh

Agreed. This structure seems really dumb. Clemson at 3 and Utah at 4 is just stupid. But they’d be the 3rd and 4th highest ranked conf champs.

FjKJvUhWIAAAdTh
Yep - it rewards the conference champions.

As for undeserved teams getting in… at 12 teams, everyone that deserves a shot at a national championship will get one. And several that don’t deserve it too.

Yep - it rewards the conference champions.

As for undeserved teams getting in… at 12 teams, everyone that deserves a shot at a national championship will get one. And several that don’t deserve it too.
That's not true--if LSU would have beat Georgia or Purdue would have beat Michigan then Penn State would have been out and we deserved a shot. Just like Troy and UTSA deserve a shot. 12 isn't enough but it's a nice start.

Let’s be honest who have they beaten this year? No one they playEd 4 teams with a winning record and went 2 and 2 and I don’t think they can beat Utah either

FjKJvUhWIAAAdTh
How horrible is this bracket?

You have PSU - Ohio St rematch setting up a potential rematch of the winner with Michigan.

You likely have Georgia - Tennessee in a rematch.

And you have an outside shot at a rematch of the rematch of TCU- K St

How horrible is this bracket?

You have PSU - Ohio St rematch setting up a potential rematch of the winner with Michigan.

You likely have Georgia - Tennessee in a rematch.

And you have an outside shot at a rematch of the rematch of TCU- K St
Again, they weren't seeding teams--the rankings would be different

You’re playing Utah in the Rose Bowl. Where do you think you should be? At the Sugar Bowl playing Alabama instead of KSU? Or in some other bowl playing KSU so you can settle it on the field?

KSU is 10-3 with a conference championship and a win over a top 5 team. PSU is 10-2, no championship, with a win over, who? Purdue? Auburn? Maryland? They lost twice against top 5 teams. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to rank KSU over PSU.
The only reason K State is 10-3 with a win over a top 5 team is because they got to play another game, something that wouldn’t have happened if they were in the Big East because unlike the Big 12, you aren’t playing in the CCG with a 9-3 record in the Big East. So the rankings are rewarding mediocrity….that’s what everyone wants.

They should. It's better than one in the finals IMO
Agree. This is what I don’t understand. Lots of people keep saying no rematch in the first round. But the possibility of Michigan playing Ohio State for the final. Terrible. Let them duke it out in the semis. I don’t want to hear about The (The Game) Game.

ADVERTISEMENT