ADVERTISEMENT

Football PSU extends HC James Franklin through 2031 season

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Last edited:
I guess the bot is really stupid they just signed up 8-4 and 7-5 seasons pathetic

I don’t mind the annual compensation or contract length but the University’s buyout should be a shitton less than the full contract value - unless I read it wrong - and Franklin’s buyout should be higher.

His buyout is laughably small, such that it doesn’t really restrict him from leaving, IMO.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I don’t mind the annual compensation or contract length but the University’s buyout should be a shitton less than the full contract value - unless I read it wrong - and Franklin’s buyout should be higher.

His buyout is laughably small, such that it doesn’t really restrict him from leaving, IMO.

Agree with this. I have no problem locking him up long terms, but the buyout should be way higher for him (or another school hiring him) to break the deal and lower for PSU (at least after the first few years). Basically what PSU is giving him in job security should be returned in te form of making it difficult for him to leave without the school being well compensated.

Good. I like CJF. He has no excuses about the commitment to him and program from the University. Time to get er done, start with beating MSU, win bowl, sign the next class, fill needs from portal, and go.

Reactions: willmead
Then as it was, then again it will be
And though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Blind stars of fortune, each have several rays
On the wings of maybe, down in birds of prey
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to grow
But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go

So what did he get for the assistant coaches? What facility upgrades were promised? Wasn’t that what it was all about?
I imagine we'll get some more info from him directly at the after practice presser. I think he wanted to speak about it today but since the comp committee hadn't met yet, he had to wait.

There were a few questions regarding exacts of the extension for Franklin and while no numbers were given out beyond his base contract, the Nittany Lions’ head coach alluded to the commitments made by the university with the new deal. Quote courtesy of Penn State’s press release.

“Penn State's future is bright, and I'm honored to continue to serve as your head football coach, nine weeks ago, the administration approached me about making a long-term investment in our football program. This prompted numerous conversations outlining the resources needed to be competitive at a level that matches the expectations and history of Penn State. What's most evident from those conversations is the importance of our student-athletes' success both on and off the field. With the support of President Barron, Sandy Barbour, and the Board of Trustees we've been able to create a roadmap of the resources needed to address academic support, community outreach, Name, Image and Likeness (NIL), facility improvements, student-athlete housing, technology upgrades, recruiting, training table and more. This renewed commitment to our student-athletes, community and fans reinforces all the reasons I've been proud to serve as your head football coach for the last eight years and why my commitment to Penn State remains steadfast. Throughout this process I've kept our leadership council, recruits and staff updated on those conversations and I'm excited we've reached an agreement we can finally share with you."

Reactions: The Spin Meister
James Franklin's new deal is 10 years at $8.5M per year.

-- $7M salary
-- $500K retention bonus
-- $1M life insurance loan

The school buyout is his full remaining salary + loan.

His buyout if he leaves this year is $12M, $8M next year, $6M in '23.

This is his Jimbo contract.

Agreed. I like Franklin and wanted him to stay and I believe he's capable of great things. But given how often he's leveraged market interest I was hoping for better on the buyout front to help shut down these negotiations for a while. With this buyout we could see this situation again in 2-3 years and PSU is pretty much stuck with him for quite some time given the high $8M x term remaining termination clause. Congrats to James and his agent I guess, it's a great deal for them. I suspect since the salary didn't go up too much they pressured the university on the length and buyout portions.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Well I think it restricts him from leaving for 2 years. I have been supportive of Franklin but that should be long enough for him to get the program going in the right direction IMO. By the way and FWIW, I checked the Sagarin rankings and he had PSU at #11 while playing the 15th most difficult schedule.

Those years don’t count?
My point is there were a lot of average and even bad seasons under one of the most storied coaches in college football and one of most stable programs in terms of assistants. Compare that to Franklin’s first eight - and keep in mind the sanctions - and I don’t see what people are so up in arms about. Hence the selective memory about the Paterno years.

Here’s one of the best quotes I’ve seen about the contract extension:

SOUTHEAST RECRUITING ANALYST RYAN WRIGHT: "Three 11-win seasons in eight years, three games in 2021 lost by four points or less... Franklin is close. A top-five 2022 recruiting class coming in helps speak for the future. With all the coaching vacancies happening at the top of the college football ranks, this is not the year to try to find the next Joe Paterno."

Reactions: PSUSignore
This extension, more than the last one is beyond idiotic. The only way an extension is justified is if it had zero buy out should Penn State fire him. He has proven that he isn't good enough to get us over the hump. Nothing more, nothing less.

My point is there were a lot of average and even bad seasons under one of the most storied coaches in college football and one of most stable programs in terms of assistants. Compare that to Franklin’s first eight - and keep in mind the sanctions - and I don’t see what people are so up in arms about. Hence the selective memory about the Paterno years.

Here’s one of the best quotes I’ve seen about the contract extension:

SOUTHEAST RECRUITING ANALYST RYAN WRIGHT: "Three 11-win seasons in eight years, three games in 2021 lost by four points or less... Franklin is close. A top-five 2022 recruiting class coming in helps speak for the future. With all the coaching vacancies happening at the top of the college football ranks, this is not the year to try to find the next Joe Paterno."
We shouldn't ever be looking for the next Joe Paterno. Ironically though, by locking in Franklin potentially through 2031 he's following a potentially similar path. Long term coaching tenures are pretty much gone, but if Franklin stays to the end of this deal (huge assumption) I think that would put him at 18 years at PSU, and counting. That kind of tenure is pretty much unheard of anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT