ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Greats: Best of the Rest

Who is the best 2Xer in PSU History (You can vote for 2)?

• Andy Matter

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Jeff Prescott

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Kerry McCoy

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Quentin Wright

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • David Taylor

Votes: 68 87.2%
  • Vincenzo Joseph

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Nick Lee

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Roman Bravo Young

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017
Per my comment in the latest "PSU GOAT" poll, I thought it might be fun spending some time evaluating/discussing the best 2X champs in PSU history. We've spent a lot of time thinking about our bevy of 3Xers, and while the winner of this poll is probably not much in doubt, I'm curious what the hive thinks about everyone else. So--let's have at it!

Since DT won the best ever poll it's not really fair that he is included in this poll.

You should take DT off the "best of the rest" list. He's already winning the "all-time best" despite only winning two titles. LOL.

I voted for DT (of course) and McCoy. Of the recent guys, I'd pick Nick Lee over Cenzo, RBY, or Q.

I allowed 2 votes because I figured most folks would vote for DT 1st anyway. Poll should still be illustrative.

I also thought of Cenzo's limited tourneys--same as Matter, in that regard.

Last edited:
My vote is with VJ because he did not have a chance to earn 3.
This. Cenzo will always be one of my favorites. Never met a chance he didn't take and almost always came up huge in those moments. Also, my son and I had the opportunity to meet him after his loss to Lewis in 2019 in Pittsburgh. He was clearly upset but still tremendously gracious.

Thanks to the PSWC, I compiled some of the vital stats for this poll:

DT stands alone, I think.

But the "Titles per championship competed in" metric is a 3-way tie between Prescott, Matter, and Cenzo. I forgot Prescott didn't go his freshman year, but in his case, it's because we had someone better (Jim Martin).

Matter is a clear #2 in win%.

Nick is a distant second on bonus%, and I forgot how dominant Prescott was, coming in 3rd on the list.

If it weren't for McCoy having the head-scratcher in 1995, he would have been a three-timer. I voted for Andy Matter in this one and voted for DT in both polls.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Shout out to Mark Hall too. I won't count 2020 as a Natty Daddy for him like some people seem to do, but he sure looked poised to make this club . . .

Thanks to the PSWC, I compiled some of the vital stats for this poll:

DT stands alone, I think.

But the "Titles per championship competed in" metric is a 3-way tie between Prescott, Matter, and Cenzo. I forgot Prescott didn't go his freshman year, but in his case, it's because we had someone better (Jim Martin).

Matter is a clear #2 in win%.

Nick is a distant second on bonus%, and I forgot how dominant Prescott was, coming in 3rd on the list.
There you go providing data to make a decision. LOL

On stats alone Matter and DT would have it. My heart is with VJ regardless.

I know there is a lot of DT love but to call him the clear greatest PSU wrestle seems like you are shorting some other great wrestlers. I'm not sure I would put him above his teammate Ed Ruth. Then you have Retherford, Nolf and Nickal following on. I know DT has more bonus wins than Nolf and Nickal had matches and 90%+ bonus rate is insane but he is only a two timer. You really have to consider that in the calculation.

DT close? You referring to the LBF or the annual Dake beating?

DT is still the only Nit under Cael to get packed in finals, right?
There was only 1 year that Dake beat DT in folkstyle. He made the finals 4 times, hence, he was very close to being a champion more than he was. He got the first TD on Kyle too. If he goes into that match with a cooler head, I think he wins. And yeah, DT beats Bubba 9/10 times. Good for bubba, but one win away is as close as you can get. Same w/ RBY and Q.

131-1 after his freshman year. That’s hard to imagine except for Cael. (Talking about McCoy)

Reactions: nerfstate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT