ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling PSU-Lock Haven Results & Discussion thread

Just got home. It was good to see the new faces and future and the team. Shayne and Alex didn't disappoint.

My only grip for being in the Hall was that the scoreboard didn't list the individual wrestlers during their matches.

A) The kids work hard enough to have their names in lights and

B) After the Handshake I forget who was wrestling for Lock Haven. The announcement before each match is tough to hear at times.

Now I go back and read what you great posters have written until I fall asleeeeeeppppp.......

Not that it matters one iota, but I've watched the Barraclough scramble at the end of the first period several times and I'm actually surprised that they waved that one off. Close yes, but looked like a takedown to me.

Not that it matters one iota, but I've watched the Barraclough scramble at the end of the first period several times and I'm actually surprised that they waved that one off. Close yes, but looked like a takedown to me.
agreed that one looked easy to me 2 points!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
133: RBY vs Strickland

RBY with a slick drag by TD. 2-0. Trying to ride/turn. Strock gets to his feet and RBY cuts him. 2-1. Nice duck to a single and quick finish, 4-1 RBY. Cuts him and an immediate TD after. 6-2. Cuts him and Strick gets in on a low single. Stalemated after Whizzer defense. Strick shoots, RBY stretches him and gets behind. 8-3 after one. I thought maybe there was another cut and TD. Guess not.

RBY starts on bottom. 14 secs escape. 9-3. Another Duck and single with a quick finish . 11-3. Cuts him. 11-4. Strick shoots but they go off the edge. Restart. Strick taking shots but not close to finish. RBY again stretches him and gets behind. Another cut and then a vintage RBY jump behind TD. 15-5 after two.

Strick chooses bottom and RBY says make it neutral. 15-6. TD. 17-6. Cuts him. Misses a jump behind TD. Restart. 1:10 to go. 17-7. Another go behind. 19-7. Cuts him. 19-8. 35 secs to go. Strick shoots again. Winn Dixie counter gives him a 6 point move and it’s a 25-8 TF.
RBY speed speed speed!

Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
It was a takedown. Typical PSU wrestling referee bending over backwards to not be labeled a homer.

It was pretty tough not to lay my head down last night without a smile on my face.
I'd say the most disappointing part of the night was @mcpat 's choice of beverage. There's never a good excuse for drinking a White Claw. The flavor choice is irrelevant.
giphy.gif

The Stultzfus kid is known to try and choke his opponents out. He did it to Creighton Edsel at states Creighton's senior year. Creighton was a returning state champion. Stultzfus has a very bad reputation.

The parking situations SUCK! get there 3 hours early and plan for at least an hour to get out of the parking garage!
Parked in West Deck and was quite disappointed.

Why did I pay with ParkMobile 24 hours ahead of time only to be given a ticket beforehand with the attendant saying, pay when you leave.

For events, all payments should be beforehand and afterwards all outbound gates should be up. It was ridiculous to only have two gates open after the event with attendants manning the gates manually.

PSU (or its parking garage contractor) can eat the cost of any who might've not parked for the event and decide to leave at an event's end.

If I wanted to be a thief, I'm pretty sure I could've displayed an old parkmobile screen grab and the attendant would've just triggered to open the gate when I waved my phone towards her.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Steen still looks small for the weight and still not active enough!
I doubt Steen is cutting a ton, but he weighs more than 125 even while training like a bear.
Just my opinion, but he needs a derivative of a Conaway style. Maintain position no matter what, move, move, move while head pulling and look to attack selectively. Finish strong! Takedowns, periods, matches.

Way too many times he positioned himself like he was the physically/skilled superior wrestler and Noto would blow right through him.

I'm actually surprised that they waved that one off. Close yes, but looked like a takedown to me.
I think it was a question whether rear standing had been achieved with the Lock Haven wrestler's hand on the mat. I don't think the ref had a good view of whizzer. 50-50 call. But hey, the call then wave off ended up costing LH a team point from challenge brick over exuberance.

Reactions: WeARE
174: Starocci vs Stoltzfus

CStar shoots immediately but funky scramble is stalemates. CStar quick shot and finish. Cuts him. Headbutt. Ouch. Penalty points for CStar. Anoth Lee quick TD. Cuts him. 5-2. CStar does an RBY jump behind and it’s 7-2. Cuts him off restart. Shoots; TD. 9-3. OOB. Optional start. Cuts him. Dancing like RBY. In on a double. Finish. 11-4 after one.

CStar takes bottom. To his feet and illegal hold on Stoltz. 12-4. CStar being ridden a little. But out now. Stoltz sloppy shot and easy go behind by CStar. 15-4. CStar working bar from out in front and it’s stopped for PD. Cuts him on restart. Lots of level changes and a double with a quick finish. 17-5. CStar riding. OOB from feet. 17-5 after two with lots of RT.

Stoltz takes top. CStar to his feet tries to turn in and now being ridden. CStar flattened out on bottom. Stoltz with a leg in. Hmm. To his base now. Over a minute on bottom. CStar flattened out. Stalling on CStar. Back to base. CStar gets reversal right at end. 19-5 final. No RT.
Cater looking a little gassed!!

Reactions: mcpat
I doubt Steen is cutting a ton, but he weighs more than 125 even while training like a bear.
Just my opinion, but he needs a derivative of a Conaway style. Maintain position no matter what, move, move, move while head pulling and look to attack selectively. Finish strong! Takedowns, periods, matches.

Way too many times he positioned himself like he was the physically/skilled superior wrestler and Noto would blow right through him.
Of the two wrestlers in the match, Steen definitely looked smaller. I was encouraged by how easily he was getting off bottom and that (I think) three or four of Noto’s TDs were counters off of Steen initiating the action. Obviously Noto was at a different level, though. That said, I read up a bit on Noto after the match; he’s a stud. I know he didn’t AA as a true freshman last year, but he has the pedigree. I’m anxious to see Steen against the 20-33 seeded guys, which I think will be far below where Noto is this season.

The Stultzfus kid is known to try and choke his opponents out. He did it to Creighton Edsel at states Creighton's senior year. Creighton was a returning state champion. Stultzfus has a very bad reputation.

I wonder if Creighton sent a message to a former teammate yesterday to give him a heads up. Carter looked unusually animated the entire match.

Of the two wrestlers in the match, Steen definitely looked smaller. I was encouraged by how easily he was getting off bottom and that (I think) three or four of Noto’s TDs were counters off of Steen initiating the action. Obviously Noto was at a different level, though. That said, I read up a bit on Noto after the match; he’s a stud. I know he didn’t AA as a true freshman last year, but he has the pedigree. I’m anxious to see Steen against the 20-33 seeded guys, which I think will be far below where Noto is this season.
The whole "he looks small" thing is just a pet peeve of mine. Unless his walking around weight is significantly lower than 125 (which it isn't) and with weigh-ins an hour b4 competition the actual difference in weight by the time they take the mat is minimal. Spencer weighing 127 wrestling a 133 pound RBJ would be small. A 136 pound Nic Bouzakis wrestling 141 last night looked and was smaller.
Steen has physical talent, but he isn't Nico, RBY, Zain or Nolf and his talent combined with PSU training isn't going to overwhelm his competitors. There is a path to success for him though. Unlike high school he no longer is the stronger, more gifted and more skilled. He needs to learn to grind and then grind harder. Positioning, head pressure, numerous yet selective attacks, finishes (strong and clean), and gosh darn it when on top don't just let someone out nonchalantly like u can take them down whenever you want. At least attempt to ride with an attitude.

I think it was a question whether rear standing had been achieved with the Lock Haven wrestler's hand on the mat. I don't think the ref had a good view of whizzer. 50-50 call. But hey, the call then wave off ended up costing LH a team point from challenge brick over exuberance.

For reaction time to matter, the rear standing has to occur *before* the wrestler's hand touches. Starting from the mat on the scramble like they did, reaction time definitely applied.

"The hand touch takedown It is critical to understand that a hand touch takedown requires rear standing neutral control before the hand touches the mat to qualify for this type of takedown. In other words, if there momentary neutral control down on the mat, you cannot apply the hand touch rule, you must wait for control beyond reaction time to award the takedown. See rule 4.2.2 to read the exact language."

I thought for sure there was contact beyond reaction time after TB got to the far hip, but I never saw a great view of what was going on the near side to really have a clue. Glad it didn't matter.

The whole "he looks small" thing is just a pet peeve of mine. Unless his walking around weight is significantly lower than 125 (which it isn't) and with weigh-ins an hour b4 competition the actual difference in weight by the time they take the mat is minimal. Spencer weighing 127 wrestling a 133 pound RBJ would be small. A 136 pound Nic Bouzakis wrestling 141 last night looked and was smaller.
Steen has physical talent, but he isn't Nico, RBY, Zain or Nolf and his talent combined with PSU training isn't going to overwhelm his competitors. There is a path to success for him though. Unlike high school he no longer is the stronger, more gifted and more skilled. He needs to learn to grind and then grind harder. Positioning, head pressure, numerous yet selective attacks, finishes (strong and clean), and gosh darn it when on top don't just let someone out nonchalantly like u can take them down whenever you want. At least attempt to ride with an attitude.
Agree to disagree.
My opinion:

Someone cutting weight is likely to have a lower body fat and higher muscle composition than someone walking around in the off-season at or near the weight. Also factor in losing some lbs of water weight for weigh-ins only to rehydrate after weigh-ins for the person cutting. Not to mention any height/leverage advantage that goes to the person cutting.

I mean, I weigh about the same as ABrooks right now and I assure you he has the body composition advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT