ADVERTISEMENT

PSU NCAA Qualifiers from PA

ItalianLion

Mar 24, 2017

Year PA:NQ %PA PA Qualifiers

2011 4:8 50% (Ruth, Wright, A. Alton, Pataky)
2012 5:9 55% (Ruth, Wright, Nico, A. Alton, Martelotti)
2013 7:10 70% (Ruth, Wright, Nico, A. Alton, D. Alton, Conaway, Pearsall)
2014 7:10 70% (Ruth, Gulibon, Nico, D. Alton, Zain, English, Gingrich)
2015 4:7 57% (Gulibon, Conaway, McCutcheon, Beitz)
2016 7:9 78% (Gulibon, Conaway, McCutcheon, Nico, Morelli, Zain, Nolf)
2017 5:8 63% (Gulibon, McCutcheon, Zain, Nolf, Cenzo)
2018 4:9 44% (Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Keener)
2019 2:9 22% (Zain, Nolf)
2021 2:9 22% (Starocci, Beard)
2022 1:9 11% (Starocci)

Not sure if this means anything, but then again it is the “off-season”. :p

After having only one PA kid in the Finals, I was curious how many PA kids have been part of Cael’s era and what has the trend been.

One of the reasons oft stated for Cael to come to Penn State was to access the deep, rich waters of Pennsylvania talent. Fishing in those waters seemed to be plentiful early on… then it would seem that the reputation of the program began to spread far & wide allowing for more non-PA talent, but might that have had a knock-on impact with "leakage" of PA talent out of state. :oops:

Let the speculation commence…

PS. I am no statistician, and my memory is not what it used to be… so some of the numbers/names might be off (be kind in your corrections.. :)

Much ado about nothing. Many of the top PA in state guys came of age when there was no room in the Inn. Cael gets 83% of the recruits his heart desires from about anywhere. He was never going to turn away a Brooks or RBY talent even if they were from Cleveland.

Reactions: ItalianLion

After having only one PA kid in the Finals, I was curious how many PA kids have been part of Cael’s era and what has the trend been.

One of the reasons oft stated for Cael to come to Penn State was to access the deep, rich waters of Pennsylvania talent. Fishing in those waters seemed to be plentiful early on… then it would seem that the reputation of the program began to spread far & wide allowing for more non-PA talent, but might that have had a knock-on impact with "leakage" of PA talent out of state. :oops:

PS. I am no statistician, and my memory is not what it used to be… so some of the numbers/names might be off (be kind in your corrections.. :)

IMHO, there is no difference between the top guys nationally and the top wrestlers in Pennsy - the difference is that PA has a lot more top talent than the any other state. Cael used Pennsylvania's talent to build the foundation of his PSU Dynasty. After PSU had risen to the top, Cael's dynasty had the gravitational pull to pick and choose recruits nationally essentially making a qualitative choice. The point is that Cael could not have gotten many of the national recruits he's pulled when he first arrived in 2009, but he knew he could win championships and build a dynasty with local talent which is exactly what he said in his inaugural PC introducing him when asked why he left his Alma Mater for PSU.

You can also see that the national recruiting has increased the average number of individual champions in the later half of his PSU tenure to date, but it hasn't really increased the average number of annual AAs. This tells you the quality of Pennsylvania wrestling is super deep numbers-wise, but Cael has made the right qualitative choice nationally once the foundation of the dynasty was built.

Cael recruits HS top 25 wrestlers as he knows that chances are real good future champs come from that group. How many Pa guys are in the top 25? Five maybe. Then those five have to fit in to the weight classes the staff is targeting. You probably have one or two guys a year and full rides are not available at PSU as a freshman. It’s earned. One a year is fine...

Reactions: ItalianLion
ADVERTISEMENT