ADVERTISEMENT

PSU potential starting Line up

millerjs32

Sep 11, 2006
Hi Guys,
I follow PSU wrestling but wanted the "Guru's" on the site to give me the potential starting line up for this year. I've read the last 25 posts or more and while some great conversation about many topics, I was not able to find "thoughts-predictions" on the starting line up this year.
Thanks for the responses.

Jeff

Should be close to as follows:
125 Nick Suriano
133 Jered Cortez
141 Jimmy Gulibon
149 Zain Retherford
157 Jason Nolf
165 Vincenzo Joseph
174 Bo Nickal/Matt McCutcheon/Shakur Rasheed
184 Matt McCutcheon/Bo Nickal/Shakur Rasheed
197 Anthony Cassar/Kellan Stout til Cassar returns from injury
285 Nick Nevills

174 and 184 are the only weights that seem to be up in the air, but I would expect Nickal at 74 and McCutcheon at 84

I missed this before and am too lazy to create a new thread: Sparky didn't just add Tsirtsis -- Ali Naser is also transferring in. He's a real a threat at 125 or 133 this year -- in freestyle he's beaten Tomasello, Scott, Blanc, Hazewinkle among others.

Crazy how many people hate/count out Cutch for some reason.

Dude is good. R12 as a freshman and beat some really good guys the past two years. All of a sudden Rasheed is going to jump up two weights and just take the spot?

Makes no sense to me.

It's pretty simple. Cutch also has some losses to guys you'd figure he should beat (IIRC), at times is limited offensively, and so far has been unable to stay injury-free. Plus, he's a bit of a plodder/grinder, so he has a lot of close matches and thus little margin for error. Throw it all together and, in short, he's been somewhat inconsistent, for a variety of reasons. But no one hates the guy.

Conversely, Rasheed flashed more offense and was dynamic at times. His issue was his gas tank, probably partly due to how much weight he was cutting. Last season he really was a 174 trying to wrestle 165. So moving to 184 is probably more like jumping up one weight class and may not be that unreasonable at all. But I don't think anyone thinks he'll just take the 184 spot. He'll have to earn it, but it's not a totally crazy idea (unlike Rasheed bumping to 197, which IS a little crazy). IMO a lot will depend on what weight Nickal ends up at.

Crazy how many people hate/count out Cutch for some reason.

Dude is good. R12 as a freshman and beat some really good guys the past two years. All of a sudden Rasheed is going to jump up two weights and just take the spot?

Makes no sense to me.
Agree with the sentiment. I think the lack of enthusiasm is 2 fold:
1.We are spoiled. While he'd be a solid starter for most teams, he's never been as nationally dominant as we've come to expect from our starters. Again, spoiled.
2.At the end of last year he was hurt but we never heard how hurt and he took some disappointing losses. Not fair (at all!) but true.

I missed this before and am too lazy to create a new thread: Sparky didn't just add Tsirtsis -- Ali Naser is also transferring in. He's a real a threat at 125 or 133 this year -- in freestyle he's beaten Tomasello, Scott, Blanc, Hazewinkle among others.
Doubtful we see naser at 125 in collegiate competition. He looked pretty big in that roster photo.

Doubtful we see naser at 125 in collegiate competition. He looked pretty big in that roster photo.
I'd agree, except Zeke appears to be in the make 'em cut camp. Also the ASU release said Naser at 125 or 133.

I'd agree, except Zeke appears to be in the make 'em cut camp. Also the ASU release said Naser at 125 or 133.
I did see that I'm just a skeptical one. What makes you believe zeke is one of those types of coaches? Truthfully I don't know that's why I ask.

I did see that I'm just a skeptical one. What makes you believe zeke is one of those types of coaches? Truthfully I don't know that's why I ask.
Quite a few of his guys are wrestling lighter in college than they did in HS. I get that HS guys often don't cut, but a college strength program should cause at least offsetting growth.

It's one thing for a guy to be down a couple lb -- maybe he wasn't all the way up to his weight. But (for example) Maruca dropping from 160 to 149 stands out. And Shields dropping 170 to 157.

You're right about Maruca at 152. I thought Shields wrestled most of the season at 170 and dropped to 160 for states, but maybe he just wrestled up most of the year.

In any case, the point still being that (except for Zahid, who hit a serious burst), all of Zeke's guys drop weight, even if just at the margins. They don't go up, despite being in a college strength program. Maybe Zeke isn't a hard cutter type, but he's clearly not a growth type.

Too early to say, imo...many of the decisions to wrestle at a certain weight may be from the wrestlers themselves, after looking around to see where they best fit. When growing a program, not all that unusual.

Too early to say, imo...many of the decisions to wrestle at a certain weight may be from the wrestlers themselves, after looking around to see where they best fit. When growing a program, not all that unusual.

Wow, I'm anxious to see what our program looks like when it matures.;)

Reactions: diggerpup
Lot's of potential, but we have to admit there are also a lot of questions.

125 - zero collegiate matches
133 - zero varsity matches
141 - can Jimmy make the adjustment to 141?
165 - zero varsity matches
174/183 - Bo, Rasheed, Cutch ... how does it play out?
191 - zero varsity matches.
285 - 5 varsity matches

Reactions: lionlover

285 - 5 varsity matches

Would agree with all of the question marks except 165,174, 184. Joseph is not a question mark and we will be fine no matter how 174 and 184 play out.

125 is a question of how high. I'd give this only a half question mark.
133 remains a bit of a question for me - only signature win is against teammate
141 obviously
197 not expecting much here
285 yes, question about how much injuries hindered progress

Reactions: tikk10

285 - 5 varsity matches

Lay odds that none of the 3, Bo, Rasheed or Cutch will wrestle a match this year at a 183 weight class.

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
I get questions about execution, but "making the adjustment to 141"? He's already been there for a full season.

I get questions about execution, but "making the adjustment to 141"? He's already been there for a full season.
Finding a more efficient manner in finishing shots is both improved technique (execution) as well as making adjustments to the size of his 141 competitors.

Just my guess, but Jimmy will be much more of what everybody has always expected. Occasionally however, we as a fan base will probably be befuddled due to an out of nowhere lack of urgency moment.

Finding a more efficient manner in finishing shots is both improved technique (execution) as well as making adjustments to the size of his 141 competitors.

Just my guess, but Jimmy will be much more of what everybody has always expected. Occasionally however, we as a fan base will probably be befuddled due to an out of nowhere lack of urgency moment.
I wish Jimmy (like some other wrestlers) would strategically eschew bottom more often. It seems to me like a misguided tough-guy thing. Play to your strengths.

I think he has two big issues he has to overcome.

One, partially mental and partially execution, is that, to my eyes at least, he seems to hesitate during his takedown attempts. He doesn't really follow through immediately - and that split second of hesitation is fatal at the level he is wrestling.

Two, which is almost entirely mental, he seems to mope when things aren't going well and is kind of listless on bottom. I agree with others - sometimes he should not "take down". I forget which match it was at Nationals this year but it was a tight match and he chose down - then proceeded to get ridden and turned (at least that's my recollection). My reaction at the time of his choice was "why?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT