ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Last remaining targets of 2022: Kasak, Mullen, McGowan. That being said, some kids will emerge this summer and next Fall obviously.

Mullen still taking football visits right now so remains to be seen if he wants to wrestle even
Kasak seems like he should be ours to lose but he is taking visits (VT, Nebraska seem to be in the picture)
McGowan I imagine plans to take his, the Big Ten (PSU, OSU, Michigan) vs the Ivies (Princeton, Penn, Harvard) Michigan might have the most open lineup for any weight he could potentially go.

Here's what our future looks like right now:
125 - Steen/Howard/Davis
133 - Davis/Howard
141 - Bartlett
149 - Van Ness
157 - Haines but can likely outgrow this weight, this is where Kasak comes in
165 - Barr/Haines/Facundo
174 - Barr/Haines/Facundo
184 - Barr/Haines/Facundo
197 - ?? (No young recruit but look we're set at this weight, look below)
285 - ?? (No young recruit but Kerkvliet has a lot of eligibility left)

Here's what the formula above isn't accounting for:
We have Brooks for 2 more years and he might even go 197 one year
Starocci for 3 more, I think he'll take all 5 if he keeps winning to be honest
Kerkvliet for 3 more (be VERY shocked if he takes it ... NIL can change things, you never know obviously)
Beard for 3 more (heard nothing of him portaling, he might be taking a Cassar approach, if I can't win a spot at PSU, I don't care)

Guys who probably shouldn't write off to beat out some kids:
Barraclough
Both Joe and Matt Lee

It's very likely we're going to have some very good kids not get 4 NCAAs if some of our upper classmen stick around. Oh ... it's very early but PA/NJ/NY looks very stacked in 2024 through 2026. It should be no shock it's kind of quiet on the recruiting front right now. Not a lot of room at the Inn. Also with NIL + the transfer portal being a thing? Everything at this point is a luxury.

Last remaining targets of 2022: Kasak, Mullen, McGowan. That being said, some kids will emerge this summer and next Fall obviously.

Mullen still taking football visits right now so remains to be seen if he wants to wrestle even
Kasak seems like he should be ours to lose but he is taking visits (VT, Nebraska seem to be in the picture)
McGowan I imagine plans to take his, the Big Ten (PSU, OSU, Michigan) vs the Ivies (Princeton, Penn, Harvard) Michigan might have the most open lineup for any weight he could potentially go.

125 - Steen/Howard/Davis
133 - Davis/Howard
141 - Bartlett
149 - Van Ness

Kerkvliet for 3 more (be VERY shocked if he takes it ... NIL can change things, you never know obviously)
Beard for 3 more (heard nothing of him portaling, he might be taking a Cassar approach, if I can't win a spot at PSU, I don't care)

Barraclough
Both Joe and Matt Lee

It's very likely we're going to have some very good kids not get 4 NCAAs if some of our upper classmen stick around. Oh ... it's very early but PA/NJ/NY looks very stacked in 2024 through 2026. It should be no shock it's kind of quiet on the recruiting front right now. Not a lot of room at the Inn. Also with NIL + the transfer portal being a thing? Everything at this point is a luxury.
How good is Davis going to be I keep forgetting we have him

How good is Davis going to be I keep forgetting we have him
Fargo Champ, 3x Michigan State Champ, #7 on Willie's big board so definitely a big time recruit.

The kid looks like he could still be in middle school (no disrespect intended) so I imagine he has a lot of room to grow. We didn't make his Top 5 initially and then suddenly got his commitment so I imagine Cael decided to press and we suddenly moved to the Top of the list. Very light but Willie even said he could end up 133 so he's still growing.

125 - Steen/Howard/Davis
133 - Davis/Howard
141 - Bartlett
149 - Van Ness

Barraclough
Both Joe and Matt Lee

Great breakdown. Thanks. Certainly is some good ones in the wings. Nasdeo is a 2023 125lb that committed.

Fargo Champ, 3x Michigan State Champ, #7 on Willie's big board so definitely a big time recruit.

The kid looks like he could still be in middle school (no disrespect intended) so I imagine he has a lot of room to grow. We didn't make his Top 5 initially and then suddenly got his commitment so I imagine Cael decided to press and we suddenly moved to the Top of the list. Very light but Willie even said he could end up 133 so he's still growing.
Wow maybe another one that will turn out to be a great one. Can't wait to see him wrestle. We sure are stacked. Maybe the only team that doesn't need the portal this year

Wow maybe another one that will turn out to be a great one. Can't wait to see him wrestle. We sure are stacked. Maybe the only team that doesn't need the portal this year
141 would've been the only weight to use the portal and that would only be to allow Bartlett to Redshirt. Program stacked and in great shape.

If weights hold, Haines at 57 and Facundo at 65 for a few years, we don’t really have any needs from 2023 seniors. 2024 though would need a big class to replace Bartlett, Beard, and Kerk after they graduate in 2025. This is also assuming everyone than can use their 5 years will.

Howard
RBY
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Facundo
Star
Brooks
Dean
Kerk

Davis
Howard
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Facundo
Star
Brooks
Beard
Kerk

Davis
Howard
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Facundo
Barr
Star
Beard
Kerk

Davis
Howard
Perry
SVN
?
Haines
Facundo
Barr
?

Reactions: kevin310
If weights hold, Haines at 57 and Facundo at 65 for a few years, we don’t really have any needs from 2023 seniors. 2024 though would need a big class to replace Bartlett, Beard, and Kerk after they graduate in 2025. This is also assuming everyone than can use their 5 years will.

Howard
RBY
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Facundo
Star
Brooks
Dean
Kerk

Davis
Howard
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Facundo
Star
Brooks
Beard
Kerk

Davis
Howard
Bartlett
SVN
Haines
Facundo
Barr
Star
Beard
Kerk

Davis
Howard
Perry
SVN
?
Haines
Facundo
Barr
?
Love it. Loaded. I think Facundo takes a big step forward this year. Too early to predict just how much. I believe he's very young for his class, but don't know his age.

Love it. Loaded. I think Facundo takes a big step forward this year. Too early to predict just how much. I believe he's very young for his class, but don't know his age.
Shayne and Alex will both need to bring it to AA at their weights. 149/165 are just stacked with very credentialed wrestlers at this point.

165:
O'Toole
Griffith
Amine
Kharchla
Hamiti
Wittlake (if he's back and healthy)
Hall
Ramirez

149:
Yianni
Sasso
Gomez
Andonian
Lovett
Millner
Parco
Mauller

Reactions: kevin310
141 would've been the only weight to use the portal and that would only be to allow Bartlett to Redshirt. Program stacked and in great shape.
Who at that weight are we sure is going to be better than Bartlett at 141? Woods was probably the most sure thing and he even just semi slid after losing to Nick to Grant Willits/Cole Matthews (who both I think Beau has the ability to beat)

Reactions: Ja1339
Who at that weight are we sure is going to be better than Bartlett at 141? Woods was probably the most sure thing and he even just semi slid after losing to Nick to Grant Willits/Cole Matthews (who both I think Beau has the ability to beat)
I agree
Shayne and Alex will both need to bring it to AA at their weights. 149/165 are just stacked with very credentialed wrestlers at this point.

165:
O'Toole
Griffith
Amine
Kharchla
Hamiti
Wittlake (if he's back and healthy)
Hall
Ramirez

149:
Yianni
Sasso
Gomez
Andonian
Lovett
Millner
Parco
Mauller
I was looking at 165 yesterday and thinking man it's going to be a tough weight come nationals. I believe all of them have at least 2 more years of eligibility too? 149 looks brutal too.

Plus Woods is now going to focus on developing a good push out "heeeeeesssss stttttaaaaallllliiiiinnnnnn" series.

Reactions: LHavenlion
NIL deals will be fully taxable at the state and federal level, right? Or will they be considered a gift and therefore the giver taxed?

Not anymore :cool:
giphy.gif

So Shapiro to Cornell, Beard in portal. I’m getting a little impatient for some good recruiting news.

I fully realize it’s my own impatience and we are and will be 100% in great shape in the long run. Of course I trust in Cael.

That said, I NEED some good news! Lol.

Wonder how many, if any, PSU recruiting targets chose other colleges because of more favorable NIL deals?

It is becoming apparent that colleges that fail to recognize and participate in the new recruiting reality will, over time, become less competitive. Based on this year's recruiting results thus far, Ohio State "gets it."

" Money changes everything." Cindy Lauper

Wonder how many, if any, PSU recruiting targets chose other colleges because of more favorable NIL deals?

It is becoming apparent that colleges that fail to recognize and participate in the new recruiting reality will, over time, become less competitive. Based on this year's recruiting results thus far, Ohio State "gets it."

We have no evidence that Ohio State recruiting reflects NIL.

We do know that Tan Tom has always been a volume recruiter, and he had massive gaping holes in his lineup.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso

Where are you hearing OSU has been heavy with NIL deals? I've not seen anything to indicate that.

Columbus has some huge companies but I didn’t hear of sponsorships with wrestlers. Rogue, Rudis

Where are you hearing OSU has been heavy with NIL deals? I've not seen anything to indicate that.
Around the time that Bouzakis and Mendez commited, it had come out, maybe even from Cael himself (or maybe it was Willie), that they missed out on a big commit due to NIL. The two were never linked directly, but many have inferred. Especially after the rumored big NIL deal Indiana offered Mendez (that was from Willie, I believe, maybe also FRL).

Around the time that Bouzakis and Mendez commited, it had come out, maybe even from Cael himself (or maybe it was Willie), that they missed out on a big commit due to NIL. The two were never linked directly, but many have inferred. Especially after the rumored big NIL deal Indiana offered Mendez (that was from Willie, I believe, maybe also FRL).
This crap is so bad for amatuer, well formerly amatuer. sports.

I was a little worried before, but Penn State finally got off its ass on that front. Having Ira and DT on the steering committee (of sorts) for the new Success with Honor NIL collective is a very nice step. I would suggest you donate some $$$ if worried - I set up a recurring donation and asked that it be targeted to wrestling.

Oh, and as El Jefe mentioned, Ryan had gaping holes to fill. No surprise an already great recruiter had to make hay this year

ADVERTISEMENT