ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

I'm not sure Shak to 165 was as much of a need move as trying to find a spot in the lineup. I think its more of Caels approach of the best guys pick their weights and everyone else fills in.
Same with Berge, these guys cut because they WANT too start, I would be shocked if Cael was forcing it.

Reactions: mcpat
Bennett is wrestling 184. Not sure if he is going or redshirting this season though. He did win silver at U20’s this summer

Reactions: danoftw
Here is my long winded take regarding the portal and our situation at 125.

Cael monitors the portal daily, and I am sure if a top 20ish 125 pops up someday we will be interested in a conversation, but of course Cael can't solicit any candidates that are not already in the portal (tampering). What it is going to take is for the right kid to seek greener pastures on his own.

One would think that PSU having yet again a visible and 'likely' multi year gap 125, might attract some interest, but short of Drew we suffered through multiple seasons with not much interest from anyone that could deliver points at nationals - in several weight classes for that matter.

Personally l am not enamored with the thought of second semester transfers as they have too little time to absorb what Cael's system is all about, let alone as in Drew's unique case get a strong fall season's worth of matches and conditioning under his belt. Thus we are probably talking about next year if ever. There are very very few Max Dean like situations out there.

No disrespect intended to any of several options provided by anyone currently on the squad or in our pipeline, but there is a big difference between say a strong 10-5 dual record guy and delivering impactful points at nationals.

Let's face it, a national qualifier is a very very good wrestler by any measure of ability. A blood round guy yet something more. An AA guy is truly elite. And a top 4-finalist is the most elite of the elite, blending incredible talent with skill honed by the right program. At best we 'might' (probably not) have blood round talent in hand a couple of seasons from now. Davis (class of 23) is still an unknown at this level and likely needs two years in the program before we know what we have.

So the road between a hard core 'blue chip' like Lilledahl who is 3-4 years out in terms of delivering for the program and someone who is AA calliber or above is exceedingly narrow.

Sure we can dream about a Ramos or Surtin dropping in our laps but I really don't think either has any chance of portaling up. So that leads me to Noto. A #11 guy in wrestlestat just sitting next door in Lehigh, who is still a sophomore. Why wouldn't a kid like that dream of being in blue and white, winning team titles, and just maybe becoming a finalist under Cael's program? Again a long shot, but if you want to think of portal and 125, that could also be AA or above with multiple years of eligibility left; he's my guy.

Other possibilities are true freshmen on redshirt who aren't wrestling this year, and admittedly I don't have any idea who's out there and where they are currently situated.

Net-net the portal is a great thing if you have a need, but in reality it's like finding a needle in the haystack for the kind of elite kid we would seek.

I am not holding my breath, but will go to sleep at night whispering Sweet Noto's into my own ears.
Most decent college programs have a board of all americans listed in program history on their wrestling room walls. Those lists aren’t very long. We expect one to fall out of thin air that can walk in January and make it happen. I never see this logic ever. 125/285 aren’t easy hole fillers. There are 8 kids in the US right now that will be AAs in March at 125. Some are at programs they love with coaches that have dedicated their lives on being at their best.

Reactions: mcpat
Mesenbrink in the portal. Curious if anyone has any tidbits on possible destination. Sorry if in wrong thread because no info he's considering Penn State.

Mesenbrink in the portal. Curious if anyone has any tidbits on possible destination. Sorry if in wrong thread because no info he's considering Penn State.
Most think Missouri because of Askren or maybe UNI but Askren said he won’t decide til spring at the earliest

I would like to see Lillehdal, Connor Harer, Jude Correa all take a blue shirt. I like Duke but he is locked in at Cornell.

It's only a matter of time until a rising HS Junior (and then a rising Sophomore), who've won world medals, forgo their remaining HS years for homeschooling near an RTC. I wouldn't be surprised if both happened in the next 3-5 years.

What color shirt beyond 'blue' will these be?

It's only a matter of time until a rising HS Junior (and then a rising Sophomore), who've won world medals, forgo their remaining HS years for homeschooling near an RTC. I wouldn't be surprised if both happened in the next 3-5 years.

Senior Year - Blue Shirt
Junior Year - Cobalt
Sophomore Year - Dodger Blue
Freshman - Baby Blue

• Haha
Reactions: BrockBronson

There has to be some moms and dads of great high school kids watching Levi Haines and going what is my kid wrestling 25-30 matches this year where he will pin everyone getting?

Those kids could just go to State College HS and split time at M2 and NLWC.

There has to be some moms and dads of great high school kids watching Levi Haines and going what is my kid wrestling 25-30 matches this year where he will pin everyone getting?

Those kids could just go to State College HS and split time at M2 and NLWC.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am hearing rumblings that Harer will forgo his senior season and move to his college destination early. Sounds like his family may join him. Sounds like Rutgers.

Reactions: BrockBronson
I am hearing rumblings that Harer will forgo his senior season and move to his college destination early. Sounds like his family may join him. Sounds like Rutgers.
What more does Conner have to prove in HS. He dominates their weak schedule and no one in AA will touch him. It would be a smart move on their part.

I also see it coming down the road (next couple of years) for some PA kids, where they for go their hs seasons. With kids being able to wrestle Super 32 and trials, states doesn’t mean much. Kasak will be much better after this season compared to staying at Bethlehem Catholic. They have a good schedule but being in the NLWC room full time is different.

Senior Year - Blue Shirt
Junior Year - Cobalt
Sophomore Year - Dodger Blue
Freshman - Baby Blue
Rumors at M2 are Gibson will be blue shirting next year. I cant help to think his teammates don’t use a Cobalt or Dodger blue shirt soon. Jax is TF’ing college kids, how is HS wrestling helping him?
I can’t believe Welsh didn’t do this. He is wrestling little boys and missing a great opportunity imo

ADVERTISEMENT