ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs OSU Start Time

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
There was a thread a while back projecting a noon kickoff on Fox. It is still TBD. We need a night game against them not a nooner. Any insight here on what is likely to happen?

Also, I missed it but why is Minny the White Out game? Did they do that because OSU will be a noon game or at least setting the table for that?

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
There was a thread a while back projecting a noon kickoff on Fox. It is still TBD. We need a night game against them not a nooner. Any insight here on what is likely to happen?

Also, I missed it but why is Minny the White Out game? Did they do that because OSU will be a noon game or at least setting the table for that?
It appears that Fox will pick that game as their Big Game of the Week or whatever they call it. And they always schedule that game for a noon kickoff. And PSU did want a daytime Whiteout so they choose Minny as the WO this year.

Am curious....anyone know the reaction of Minny fans to this announcement? Bet they are exited.

It appears that Fox will pick that game as their Big Game of the Week or whatever they call it. And they always schedule that game for a noon kickoff. And PSU did want a daytime Whiteout so they choose Minny as the WO this year.

Am curious....anyone know the reaction of Minny fans to this announcement? Bet they are exited.
Thanks. I think Minny is decent this year but we better take care of them for the WO. Hopefully not a hangover the next week for O$U. It is a Stripe Out game so hopefully the students all get there early and are loud. In my opinion, I think our best shot to beat O$U would have been a night White Out game. This does not work in our favor at all.

Thanks. I think Minny is decent this year but we better take care of them for the WO. Hopefully not a hangover the next week for O$U. It is a Stripe Out game so hopefully the students all get there early and are loud. In my opinion, I think our best shot to beat O$U would have been a night White Out game. This does not work in our favor at all.
Couple bad things about nooners.....one is that the students rarely get there before the middle of the first quarter. And the rest of the fans are either stuck in traffic due to ‘new and improved’ traffic flows and/or waiting in lines trying to get into the stadium because of ‘streamlined’ ticket processing🤦🏻‍♀️

Makes for a slow start of the game.

Couple bad things about nooners.....one is that the students rarely get there before the middle of the first quarter. And the rest of the fans are either stuck in traffic due to ‘new and improved’ traffic flows and/or waiting in lines trying to get into the stadium because of ‘streamlined’ ticket processing🤦🏻‍♀️

Makes for a slow start of the game.
Yep and add to that you don't have the all day build up for the students and fans to work themselves into a lather getting ready to cheer until their voices fail them. I was there for the last O$U White Out in '18 and all the students were in the stadium at least 90 minutes prior to kickoff. They were loud and rowdy pre game and that carried over throughout the game. A game we should have won if we could have held a 12 pt lead with 8 minutes to go but don't get me started. Fox has screwed us on this one.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
No doubt the W.O. plays to our favor, but how about just being flat out better and beating OSU or Michigan, no matter what time the game is. The mentality that Fox screwed PSU is lazy at this point. Just be better. OSU and Mich play each other at noon annually, as do Texas and OU, etc.

No doubt the W.O. plays to our favor, but how about just being flat out better and beating OSU or Michigan, no matter what time the game is. The mentality that Fox screwed PSU is lazy at this point. Just be better. OSU and Mich play each other at noon annually, as do Texas and OU, etc.

The last time we went into Columbus highly ranked (2019) was a Fox big noon kickoff, too. OSU had no issues getting up for that game -- either their fans or their players. Neither should we.

Well, one of the guys rowing the boat for Minnesota will be their offensive coordinator, Mike Ciarocca. Remember him? He was OC for PSU during the horrible COVID year and CJF dumped him, unceremoniously, for our current OC Mike Yurcich. I am willing to bet that 'ol PJ will have his team ready to "row the boat" for that game.

The last time we went into Columbus highly ranked (2019) was a Fox big noon kickoff, too. OSU had no issues getting up for that game -- either their fans or their players. Neither should we.
EXACTLY. The white out only remains as effective as the performance on the field. I get that the record isn't impressive b/c typically we play great programs. But, win more games in the W.O, and then it really becomes intimidating. I'm just tired of excuses. Outside of OSU, PSU out-recruits everyone in the B1G, including Michigan. Time for the results to show.

Reactions: Al_Tuna and psuno1
11 am local time for Texas-OU.. if we're 7-0 or 6-1 playing OSU for the division, the crowd and environment will be favorable for PSU regardless of what time the game is or what color the fans are wearing.. sure, it's more fun at night, but beating Ohio State would be fun any time of day.

11 am local time for Texas-OU.. if we're 7-0 or 6-1 playing OSU for the division, the crowd and environment will be favorable for PSU regardless of what time the game is or what color the fans are wearing.. sure, it's more fun at night, but beating Ohio State would be fun any time of day.
Yep, and frankly I'm looking forward to Minnesota being the whiteout opponent. Nice to get someone different.

Reactions: Noffinater
I'm just tired of excuses. Outside of OSU, PSU out-recruits everyone in the B1G, including Michigan. Time for the results to show.
Personally, I grew tired of Franklin's excuse making in 2015. I would counter that we do not out recruit Michigan or Michigan State. We recruit on par with them. The problem is Franklin. He isn't a top tier head coach. Over-rated recruiter. Over-rated coach. Long story short, he is the fifth best coach in the east behind Day, Tucker, Harbaugh and Schiano.

Personally, I grew tired of Franklin's excuse making in 2015. I would counter that we do not out recruit Michigan or Michigan State. We recruit on par with them. The problem is Franklin. He isn't a top tier head coach. Over-rated recruiter. Over-rated coach. Long story short, he is the fifth best coach in the east behind Day, Tucker, Harbaugh and Schiano.
I mean based on recruiting 'rankings', MSU certainly doesn't out-recruit Mich, OSU or PSU if we are looking at average class ranking over a large sample size. Not even close. But, if we are talking about player/team development, especially when they had Dantonio, no doubt. MSU was crushing it, especially against those better programs. I think you might be overvaluing Tucker to this point due to how short of a time he has been at MSU, but we'll see. Last year his team was ready made by the portal...that's different than growing and cultivating a program.

Last edited:
I worry that because the opponent isn't considered a "tier 1" football school that many PSU fans will sell/skip the game and the white-out will have a bunch of maroon. Night games without a top tier opponent are not well received.

I mean based on recruiting 'rankings', MSU certainly doesn't out-recruit Mich, OSU or PSU if we are looking at average class ranking over a large sample size. Not even close. But, if we are talking about player/team development, especially when they had Dantonio, no doubt. MSU was crushing it, especially against those better programs. I think you might be overvaluing Tucker to this point due to how short of a time he has been at MSU, but we'll see. Last year his team was ready made by the portal...that's different than growing and cultivating a program.
Correct about MSU - they're a good ways back of PSU and Michigan. I found this 2021 247 roster talent rating on their website.

Reactions: scrivener
In 2015? You mean when we had 45 scholarship players available most weeks? Franklin did a great job manipulating the roster so that when we went to full scholarships we had a competitive team coming out of sanctions. He had a very good 4 year run of success before pandemic 2020 and a season full of significant injuries and close losses. Sure, a season like 2021 is unacceptable but it's also just one season. Even during the last two tough seasons, there was a 9 game winning streak from the end of 2021 up to the Iowa game in 2022. As far as recruiting, we remain in the upper class of college football as far as blue chip ratio. We meet the criteria for having a team that has enough talent to compete for a national title. We'll likely be 6-1 or 7-0 when we play Ohio State and that game will then likely decide the division. Personally, I just want to be in the mix for a conference title and playoff and felt like we were from 2016-2019. I'm just not sure what people are seeing that makes them think we won't get back to that this year and future years.

Of course we should be up for this game, it is freaking O$U, got that. We better be pumped and ready to play or something is rotten in the state of Denmark. And yes we should be able to beat them at any start time. The point is we lose an intangible of a raucous night crowd. Yes, the crowd should/better be loud and students better get there early but certainly a little diminished from a night atmosphere. And I agree this does not get Franklin off the hook, he needs to deliver a win whether at noon or night against O$U. With Fox it is annoying that they can pick the best B10 game and put it on a noon but nothing we can do about that.

Of course we should be up for this game, it is freaking O$U, got that. We better be pumped and ready to play or something is rotten in the state of Denmark. And yes we should be able to beat them at any start time. The point is we lose an intangible of a raucous night crowd. Yes, the crowd should/better be loud and students better get there early but certainly a little diminished from a night atmosphere. And I agree this does not get Franklin off the hook, he needs to deliver a win whether at noon or night against O$U. With Fox it is annoying that they can pick the best B10 game and put it on a noon but nothing we can do about that.
I agree with your overall point for sure. Certainly, a day game is a diminished atmosphere then at night...no doubt. Same goes for LSU, The Horseshoe, etc. Maybe playing OSU at noon or 330 will actually work to our benefit for once and we catch them sleepwalking the first half...who knows. Having the whiteout vs a Minnesota type opponent might actually help our team not do their own sleepwalking which happens at times during the day against 'not exciting' opponents. I like having Minny in town under the lights...it's different.

I agree with your overall point for sure. Certainly, a day game is a diminished atmosphere then at night...no doubt. Same goes for LSU, The Horseshoe, etc. Maybe playing OSU at noon or 330 will actually work to our benefit for once and we catch them sleepwalking the first half...who knows. Having the whiteout vs a Minnesota type opponent might actually help our team not do their own sleepwalking which happens at times during the day against 'not exciting' opponents. I like having Minny in town under the lights...it's different.
Hopefully we beat down Minny like the '05 game! This WO against Minny should prevent a let down versus a nooner. O$U is O$U so no excuses not to be ready from the get go. Yeah it would be nice if they came out flat and we pounce but don't count on it.

It will be interesting to see if Tucker continues down that path, and is able to strike a balance between HS recruiting and portal recruiting. And keep winning like last year. If he can, it may become the new "standard" for the non blue bloods.

I worry that because the opponent isn't considered a "tier 1" football school that many PSU fans will sell/skip the game and the white-out will have a bunch of maroon. Night games without a top tier opponent are not well received.
I would have to think the white out would be an exception to that. Plus, having a chance to actually win the white out game might excite people.

It will be interesting to see if Tucker continues down that path, and is able to strike a balance between HS recruiting and portal recruiting. And keep winning like last year. If he can, it may become the new "standard" for the non blue bloods.
Tucker really embraced the portal and understandably so. New HC's at their programs can use the portal as a band-aid and quick fix until they establish some recruiting classes. But, I don't think it is a good long term solution in mass numbers each year. The way JF has done it so far....a guy here, a guy there, I think is a wiser solution not only for team chemistry, but also for maintaining credibility with high school players. I'm excited for what Tinsley and Chop can bring to the table -- both filling needs at their position, especially Chop.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT