ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PSU vs Purdue Basketball

AWS1022

Nov 12, 2011
11-11 at the first break. PSU playing a 2-3 zone to try and slow Edey down, but he has 6 and is going to the line for an and one. Of course it looked like a charge to me. Henn has 9.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Funk has to make 3s for us to have a prayer. He missed two open looks.

And there is their 9 foot center getting the rebound like he is playing against elementary aged kids.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Funk has to make 3s for us to have a prayer. He missed two open looks.

And there is their 9 foot center getting the rebound like he is playing against elementary aged kids.
Tough to get rebounds against a 7’4 guy especially when you have no size.

This #0 can't miss. We will be lucky to not be down 20 at half. Hate to say but but this one looks to be over.

This #0 can't miss. We will be lucky to not be down 20 at half. Hate to say but but this one looks to be over.
Hanging in by a thread, but I agree with you…now that Edey is back in it could be an ugly last four minutes….PSU down by 10.

We hung in early. Henn was big and missed 2 good shots that almost rolled in. Seth is playing well.Jalen with 4 but off his game. Nobody else contributing. Funk missing open shots.

I actually think we are playing pretty well. We are a couple of missed 3s from being even with #1. I like what they are doing but it's still going to take a herculean effort tonight.

Rough start to 2nd half. It's close to getting out of reach. Purdue can't miss right now.

Gillis has 7 3s....he is totally out Funking Funk. Dude has 23....announcer just said he was on a personal 11-0. We were within 5 now down 16
He's getting better looks than Funk. PSU is doubling Edey which leaves Purdue perimeter shooters wide open.

On the flip side Edey makes it difficult for Pickett to penetrate which limits his ability to kick it out to open PSU shooters.

Reactions: bison13
He's getting better looks than Funk. PSU is doubling Edey which leaves Purdue perimeter shooters wide open.

On the flip side Edey makes it difficult for Pickett to penetrate which limits his ability to kick it out to open PSU shooters.
Yeah....but Funk has not stepped up at all and has been covering Gillis from time to time. It's not one on one...but Andrew has had shots and more than a few open ones...I've seen him make a lay up. Gillis has been unreal.

Switched to 76ers game...in each game we were in it at half, and both times we got blown out to start 2nd half. They are #1

Somehow they have to start hitting wide open threes on the road. They do it at home. Confidence?? Does the different arena make that much difference?? I get it matters some but it really seems to matter a whole lot.

Very unlikely when under normal circumstances but when a guy who is averaging five points a game sets the arena record for three-pointers you have no shot.
PSU was double teaming the post which left perimeter shooters open. That's the risk. My only criticism is that when a guy gets that hot you've got to make somebody else beat you.

I would have liked to see a closer game but when you let a guy hit like nine 3s (and not their star player) you are going to lose big to a team that is better than you are to begin with.

Reactions: gogolion
Somehow they have to start hitting wide open threes on the road. They do it at home. Confidence?? Does the different arena make that much difference?? I get it matters some but it really seems to matter a whole lot.
I agree. It seems every game on the road we are ice cold from distance. Not going to beat many teams that way with our lineup.

Funk was not able to get as many open looks last night, defenders were closer than the michigan game, so that plays a part. Also as mentioned, pickett could not get in to the post and make a double team come which leads to a more open shot for someone.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I would have liked to see a closer game but when you let a guy hit like nine 3s (and not their star player) you are going to lose big to a team that is better than you are to begin with.
depth is certainly an issue. As a team, you prepare for how to defend their best players and if a role player beats you, so be it. If a kid comes off the bench and lights it up, that's the game. Tip your hat and move on.

Purdue is clearly the better team and PSU has to take chances if they want to beat them. That role player changed the dynamics of the match and it was all over. We aren't going to beat Purdue 19 games out of 20.

depth is certainly an issue. As a team, you prepare for how to defend their best players and if a role player beats you, so be it. If a kid comes off the bench and lights it up, that's the game. Tip your hat and move on.

Purdue is clearly the better team and PSU has to take chances if they want to beat them. That role player changed the dynamics of the match and it was all over. We aren't going to beat Purdue 19 games out of 20.
Gillis was only averaging 6 a game (maybe slightly less) and lights it up for 29 (9-12 from 3). Kind of out of nowhere. As somebody already mentioned there comes a point like after 3 or 4 in a row that you focus on stopping him. Even if it means giving up some points to Edey. Break up his rhythm.

Purdue looks to have Edey and a bunch of role guys, no clear #2 but a lot of weapons so my guess is if it wasn't Gillis some other random perimeter dude would have burned us. Difference being maybe we lose by 10 instead of 20 because you are not going to have a guy go for nine 3s most every other night.

We lose that game at Mackey 90%+ of the time. The only way we win is; 1) We shoot 3s lights out meaning Funk gets at least 5 or 6 3s and some others as well; 2) They shoot lousy from the perimeter; 3) We play good D on Edey and contain him; 4) Our D overall is solid meaning good perimeter D. I would say last night we did one of those things (#3) hence we lose by 20.

Just gotta focus on beating Nebby. Maybe we can actually throw it in the ocean from the boat at their place.

Gillis was only averaging 6 a game (maybe slightly less) and lights it up for 29 (9-12 from 3). Kind of out of nowhere. As somebody already mentioned there comes a point like after 3 or 4 in a row that you focus on stopping him. Even if it means giving up some points to Edey. Break up his rhythm.

Purdue looks to have Edey and a bunch of role guys, no clear #2 but a lot of weapons so my guess is if it wasn't Gillis some other random perimeter dude would have burned us. Difference being maybe we lose by 10 instead of 20 because you are not going to have a guy go for nine 3s most every other night.

We lose that game at Mackey 90%+ of the time. The only way we win is; 1) We shoot 3s lights out meaning Funk gets at least 5 or 6 3s and some others as well; 2) They shoot lousy from the perimeter; 3) We play good D on Edey and contain him; 4) Our D overall is solid meaning good perimeter D. I would say last night we did one of those things (#3) hence we lose by 20.

Just gotta focus on beating Nebby. Maybe we can actually throw it in the ocean from the boat at their place.
yep...basketball is a game of matchups. 5 on 5. the goal is to make the other team double on of the 5 making it 5 on 4. if that fifth, uncovered person, lights it up you are toast. It is that simple. The complexity is how to get your game changers isolated and freed. On defense, how to continue to switch to make sure you don't let those game-changers isolated. When somebody goes off that you are not expecting, game over.

Pretty good but as I recall there were a couple of other guys that hit some threes. Didn’t look at the stats but it seemed that whole team was hot.

Big moment for those guys. Wish they could have gotten it going. I thought Henn’s great start would be contagious. Tough task in Mackey.

yep...basketball is a game of matchups. 5 on 5. the goal is to make the other team double on of the 5 making it 5 on 4. if that fifth, uncovered person, lights it up you are toast. It is that simple. The complexity is how to get your game changers isolated and freed. On defense, how to continue to switch to make sure you don't let those game-changers isolated. When somebody goes off that you are not expecting, game over.
Well stated and exactly why the freshman version of Kebba is ineffective for us. It was no coincidence that their early run came when Henn came out. On offense he is a perimeter screener and handoff guy which poses absolutely no threat.

We cannot expect Henn to slways start like he did (and he had two more shots rattle in and out), but at least he brought Edey out of the paint to guard him. We cannot win playing 4 on 5 on offense

Reactions: Obliviax and bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT