ADVERTISEMENT

PSWC website - NCAA Hotel Request process

TrooperPSU

Sep 1, 2018
Lansdale,PA
Anyone else see seeing the website as super slow and a broken link to the request form
“Ooops! That page can not be found”

Time for an IT service upgrade

3 hotels and you need to specify a priority. It’s first come first serve. Rates are much better than online

Those rates are incredible vs. public rates -- the Hyatt is about 60% off, the others around 30% off.

If I needed a room, I'd go
1. Hyatt Centric -- 2 blocks from Monk's
2. Loews -- very near City Hall and Chinatown food/drink, walkable to Old City and to Monk's
3. Sonesta -- still a good downtown location, just a few blocks less convenient

But at those rates, I'd jump on it and be happy with either.

I'd also look to beat those parking rates. You can probably save 25% or more if willing to park 1/2 block away (in a garage). Recommend the Best Parking app.

Reactions: Sullivan
No nothing from the system as a result of submitting

However I did get an email reply from wrestling club. After spending 20 minutes try to get the form to display I replied to the original email announcing the plan for the hotels. They replied right before it started working saying “try now”. I confirmed success and they said good we see your request. I’m curious if anyone got the form and could submit before 930

So they are going through. Not sure about the plan informing about who actually gets a room

As Jefe says above, the parking costs at the hotels are very high, but if you look around you'll find substantial savings right nearby. Alternatively, you should consider public transportation. Parking at many Amtrak stations is free or a nominal charge. Examples are $2/day at Middletown and free at Elizabethtown. Amtrak will cost about $40 to $60 round trip per person, but it's easy. Septa, the local transportation network, will be much less expensive and many stations have free parking, such as Downingtown. Regional rail fares on Septa run by zone and are very inexpensive. For travel to the venue, you'll be taking the Broad Street Subway to the NRG station (last station on the southbound line, and you'll return to either the Walnut Street station or the City Hall station depending on the hotel you've booked or the location of the bar you plan to visit.

BTW, if you're 65 or older, all Septa modes of transportation (bus, train, subway, and trolleys) within Pennsylvania is free if you get a Septa Senior card. Check out all the fare programs here.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I will likely have two extra rooms at Sheraton Suites PHL if anybody needs. I’ll hold them until week of. 2 beds per room. $805 per room. Wed-Sun. My buddy and I had a van shuttle us back and forth from t mobile last year. Hoping to find a similar setup this year and we can split costs with whoever is in hotel.

As Jefe says above, the parking costs at the hotels are very high, but if you look around you'll find substantial savings right nearby. Alternatively, you should consider public transportation. Parking at many Amtrak stations is free or a nominal charge. Examples are $2/day at Middletown and free at Elizabethtown. Amtrak will cost about $40 to $60 round trip per person, but it's easy. Septa, the local transportation network, will be much less expensive and many stations have free parking, such as Downingtown. Regional rail fares on Septa run by zone and are very inexpensive. For travel to the venue, you'll be taking the Broad Street Subway to the NRG station (last station on the southbound line, and you'll return to either the Walnut Street station or the City Hall station depending on the hotel you've booked or the location of the bar you plan to visit.

BTW, if you're 65 or older, all Septa modes of transportation (bus, train, subway, and trolleys) within Pennsylvania is free if you get a Septa Senior card. Check out all the fare programs here.

Adding onto this for clarity:

Amtrak has one stop in the city, at 30th Street Station downtown. From there, easiest to take Uber/Lyft to your hotel. (You could take Septa subway from 30th, but IMO it's not worth the hassle of dealing with your bags underground.)

Septa has many modes of transportation: subway, Regional Rail, trolleys, buses, etc.

Septa Regional Rail is how you'll arrive from the suburbs. With one exception, every line stops at all 3 main downtown stations: 30th St, Suburban (15th/JFK), and Jefferson (11th/Market) -- take the most convenient stop and Uber/Lyft from there. The exception is the Norristown RR line, which ends at 69th St in Upper Darby, then you switch to the Market-Frankford subway -- for this reason, I don't recommend it with luggage.

Regional Rail fares top out at $10/person each way. Discount if you buy with the Septa app. Seniors ride free, though non-PA residents must apply for a Septa Senior Card ahead of time. (It's not clear if PA residents also need this card, or if a valid driver's license will suffice. What, you expected clarity and simplicity from Septa?)

Note that Regional Rail trains do not always go all the way out to the last station. For example, some "Downingtown" trains go no further than Malvern, and some "Doylestown" trains go no further than Lansdale. Check the train schedules and plan your arrival/departure accordingly.

Septa is doing away with free overnight parking, but it's still cheap. Expect to pay $2 - $4 per 24 hrs on weekdays, with weekends still free at some stations.

Septa subway and trolley lines are great for exploring the city, but I wouldn't do them with luggage. Don't bother with Septa buses either way. And I wouldn't use Regional Rail for point-to-point within the city -- it's more expensive and less frequent than the subway, and few city stops are of interest to visitors.

In any case, try to avoid arriving during rush hour. Inbound trains won't be too bad, but the stations and subway lines will be packed to the gills, and Uber/Lyft will charge a premium. And especially don't drive into the city during rush hour -- traffic has gotten significantly worse recently, and is approaching DC congestion levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
Adding onto this for clarity:

Amtrak has one stop in the city, at 30th Street Station downtown. From there, easiest to take Uber/Lyft to your hotel. (You could take Septa from 30th, but IMO it's not worth the hassle of dealing with your bags underground.)

Septa has many modes of transportation: subway, Regional Rail, trolleys, buses, etc.

Septa Regional Rail is how you'll arrive from the suburbs. With one exception, every line stops at all 3 main downtown stations: 30th St, Suburban (15th), and Jefferson (11th) -- take the most convenient stop and Uber/Lyft from there. The exception is the Norristown RR line, which ends at 69th St in Upper Darby, then you switch to the Market-Frankford subway -- for this reason, I don't recommend it with luggage.

Regional Rail fares top out at $10/person each way. Discount if you buy with the Septa app. Seniors ride free, though non-PA residents must apply for a Septa Senior Card ahead of time. (It's not clear if PA residents also need this card, or if a valid driver's license will suffice. What, you expected clarity and simplicity from Septa?)

Note that Regional Rail trains do not always go all the way out to the last station. For example, some "Downingtown" trains go no further than Malvern, and some "Doylestown" trains go no further than Lansdale. Check the train schedules and plan your arrival/departure accordingly.

Septa is doing away with free overnight parking, but it's still cheap. Expect to pay $2 - $4 per 24 hrs on weekdays, with weekends still free at some stations.

Septa subway and trolley lines are great for exploring the city, but I wouldn't do them with luggage. Don't bother with Septa buses either way. And I wouldn't use Regional Rail for point-to-point within the city -- it's more expensive and less frequent than the subway, and few city stops are of interest to visitors.

In any case, try to avoid arriving during rush hour. Inbound trains won't be too bad, but the stations and subway lines will be packed to the gills, and Uber/Lyft will charge a premium. And especially don't drive into the city during rush hour -- traffic has gotten significantly worse recently, and is approaching DC congestion levels.
All good stuff, but both of us have ignored those flying into the city. Uber/Lyft/Taxi (yes, taxis are still available) is probably the best way to get from the airport to downtown. Don't rent a car, as you won't need it. However, and I haven't done this often, but when I find myself flying into the city and plan to spend some time downtown I always take Septa regional rail to 30th Street Station (also called Penn Station). From there I jump on the Market-Frankford line. Easy-peasy.

Oh, keep in mind that the subway travels on the right side of the road. So, if you want to go South, point yourself South (your smartphone has a compass app that came with the phone) and enter the subway on the right side of the road. Numbered streets go North/South and named streets go East/West, with few exceptions. Broad Street, if it had a number, would be 14th Street, which is important for those unfamiliar with the city to remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Jefe
All good stuff, but both of us have ignored those flying into the city. Uber/Lyft/Taxi (yes, taxis are still available) is probably the best way to get from the airport to downtown. Don't rent a car, as you won't need it. However, and I haven't done this often, but when I find myself flying into the city and plan to spend some time downtown I always take Septa regional rail to 30th Street Station (also called Penn Station). From there I jump on the Market-Frankford line. Easy-peasy.

Oh, keep in mind that the subway travel on the right side of the road. So, if you want to go South, point yourself South (your smartphone has a compass app that came with the phone) and enter the subway on the right side of the road. Numbered streets go North/South and named streets go East/West, with few exceptions. Broad Street, if it had a number, would be 14th Street, which is important for those unfamiliar with the city to remember.
If I were flying in solo, I'd take regional rail (max $10 each way) and then Uber/Lyft from 30th, Suburban, or Jefferson.

If in a group, then I'd probably do Uber/Lyft the whole way. Or at least open the app and check the pricing -- might consider regional rail during peak hours.

Don't say "Penn Station," everybody will think you're headed to NYC. It's "30th St" locally. The station is officially William Gray 30th St Station (named for the long-time Congressman), though nobody calls it Gray either.

The phone compass trick will work, also will make you stand out as a clueless tourist and possibly make you a target. There's an easier way: both subway lines go underneath City Hall -- which can be seen from just about anywhere on Market St or Broad St. Whether you're headed toward or away from City Hall, be on that side of the street.

Also, if switching lines: switching between the 2 subway lines at City Hall is free and safe However, do not take the underground path from Suburban Station to the City Hall Septa station -- there is a major homeless camp in the junction area. (You'll see it through glass double doors.) Regional Rail to Subway is not a free interchange anyway, so go up to the street level and then enter Septa City Hall from above ground.

Last edited:
If I were flying in solo, I'd take regional rail (max $10 each way) and then Uber/Lyft from 30th, Suburban, or Jefferson.

If in a group, then I'd probably do Uber/Lyft the whole way. Or at least open the app and check the pricing -- might consider regional rail during peak hours.

Don't say "Penn Station," everybody will think you're headed to NYC. It's "30th St" locally. The station is officially William Gray 30th St Station (named for the long-time Congressman), though nobody calls it Gray either.

The phone compass trick will work, also will make you stand out as a clueless tourist and possibly make you a target. There's an easier way: both subway lines go underneath City Hall -- which can be seen from just about anywhere on Market St or Broad St. Whether you're headed toward or away from City Hall, be on that side of the street.

Also, if switching lines: switching between the 2 subway lines at City Hall is free and safe However, do not take the underground path from Suburban Station to the City Hall Septa station -- there is a major homeless camp in the junction area. (You'll see it through glass double doors.) Regional Rail to Subway is not a free interchange anyway, so go up to the street level and then enter Septa City Hall from above ground.
On many maps it's called Penn Station, so visitors need to know this. The Septa regional rail to 30th St Station is $7. Regarding cell phones, since just about every single person walks around with their phone out nowadays, you can no longer be considered a tourist for having your phone in view. I do like to stay away from suburban station to the city hall station and go above ground. The homeless are just annoying and somewhat sad, so I avoid when possible. I've never considered them dangerous, but I still like to avoid. If you stay in the city, or any city for that matter, you can't escape them.

Looks like they updated the request form so if you return to it you can see your request.

“We have received your NCAA Championships hotel request form(s). The response(s) we received are as follows. If you have submitted the form multiple times, we will consider your most recent submission as your desired preference. Note: This does not mean that you have been assigned a room. This is only confirming our receipt of your request for a room. Notification of hotel assignments will be communicated in the upcoming days.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT