ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board: Are hotel booking apps accurate?

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
I need a hotel room, cheap, in early September for two nights. I have never used booking.com or hotels.com, etc. I downloaded the apps and they quoted a price for a cheap room at 70$ per night, then I called the hotel itself and they quoted twice as much and told me those apps like hotels.com are not accepted or accurate. I REALLY need the room, but can't pay twice as much, what should I do? Remember, I am not experienced with these things.

I need a hotel room, cheap, in early September for two nights. I have never used booking.com or hotels.com, etc. I downloaded the apps and they quoted a price for a cheap room at 70$ per night, then I called the hotel itself and they quoted twice as much and told me those apps like hotels.com are not accepted or accurate. I REALLY need the room, but can't pay twice as much, what should I do? Remember, I am not experienced with these things.
Buddy of mine recently booked through I believe hotels.com, drove hundreds of miles for his son's tournament week, and when he got there the hotel said that his reservation had been cancelled. The hotel blamed the website. The website said his reservation is valid and blamed the hotel. He was stuck finding a hole in the wall with no notice instead of enjoying their first evening at the site.

Likely the hotel was overbooked, and his reservation was cheaper than others. So, he got bumped.

I look on the app, select my hotel, then try to book it for the price or cheaper.

I have used those apps (mostly hotels.com) dozens of time with no issues. Of you pay right on the app, the hotel does not charge upon checking in.

One thing to be aware of is that if you stay more than 1 night you may have to switch rooms. Hotels.com will book based on any availability. I just stayed in wildwood and the hotel called me the next day to warn me we'd have to switch rooms mid-stay, which we did.

• Sad
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Yes they are generally accurate, however if problems arise good luck getting a price aggregator like hotels.com or expedia to fix your issue. And the hotels will not help you as your reservation isn't through them directly. I generally only use those sites to quickly compare prices and then I book directly with the hotel. 90% of the time the direct hotel's prices will be the same assuming you pick the same dates, promos, room type, etc. If it isn't, I'd call the hotel and ask for a price match as most would prefer you book directly and many offer low price guarantees if you do.

I've booked rooms all over the US and Europe using many of the apps and have never had a problem. I have heard of problems but I have never had one.

I usually use Google Maps to find hotels in the area I want to stay that are showing a price I like. I click on the hotel and check which apps are the lowest price then I check direct. If direct is the same or less I book direct and if not I book with the app. I use Kayak for flights and do the same approach.

I've also used Priceline several times. I've always made out well but it is actually gambling. You tell them where and they give offers and tell you the minimum number of stars you'll get. You have to make a non-refundable booking to find out which hotel. It's been great the few times I've used it. They used to have a process (maybe they still do) that you could attempt to low-ball hotels but I never got a taker with that method.

Several times (about 3 or 4 times) while on long drives I've pulled over to get a room late and asked for a rate at the front desk. Upon hearing a ridiculous price I would check the third party apps right at the front desk and offer the clerk to opportunity to match the price direct so they save the fees the hotel would pay the third party and every time they refused. I would just proceed to book the room on the third party and stand there for 4 or 5 minutes until it showed up in their system.

One time I was booking six of us round trip to Ireland on Aer Lingus. Third party had a fare of $425 each person so I checked direct and the price was $750 each person so I called Aer Lingus. Once of the phone I told the rep what the third party price was and asked if they would match direct. She said she couldn't and that I should through the third party for that kind of savings. I asked her to hold a few moments while I made the reservations so we just chatted while I typed. In a few moments she confirmed all six reservations were in their system. I saved $1,950 booking through the third party.

Last edited:
Like a few others...I travel a decent amount, always use the apps and never had an issue. I do research on the hotel though before I book it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT