ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the negative nellies here

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
1) We fully recognize that there are certain posters here that dishonestly post as if they are PSU fans, some outed by a number of others. For those in this category, why? It's immature and dishonest and reflects poorly on your own fanbase when outed (some Buckeyes and Pitt fans seem to be the main culprits).

2) Some appear to be anti-Franklin or anti-Clifford at all costs like their opinion on a message board will get them replaced. It ain’t happening. Do you honestly think your incessant whining will change that?

3) There are some are unhappy if we lose, if we win, if we don't win by enough, if we do dominate but don’t bring in their favorite backups soon enough, if we dominate a lesser team, if we beat a team they predicted we'd lose to but now that team isn't any good, if we go 10-2 and get a NY6 bowl, if someone points out that we are doing that with a lot of true freshmen and other very young players playing big roles, etc., etc..

For this group I ask, do people want to be around you in real life? Seriously, some of you are negative about nearly any outcome possible. Does your family even acknowledge you? It's got to be grating on anyone who has to be around you for any length of time being so consistently negative.

My thoughts in PSU. We are improving with a ton of young talent already playing a big role. 10-2 and NY6 puts us in the top 10% of all programs and our trajectory appears to be up. I'm going to enjoy it and recognize that we can still improve and have many of the pieces in place to do just that. The 24/7 negative crowd are just miserable people in my eyes and people that most wouldn't want to be around in real life or online. But that doesn't change my positive outlook one bit.

The weird thing is pretending people aren't Penn State fans because they don't view things the same as you do.

The reality is, aside from the Purdue game, I'm very happy with the result of every game other than the fact we weren't competitive against Michigan. We just haven't played good teams other than the ones that beat us by double-digits. I didn't even complain about the Northwestern game due to the weather.

I don't know why people have to believe Franklin is an elite coach (he isn't) or that finishing 3rd in the division is a great season (it isn't). We need to improve. The freshman class gives all of us hope.

monty python GIF

I am only negative about Clifford and Franklin's overplaying the guy, but still a PSU fan. I've seen enough of his inability to see the field, throw passes behind his receivers in stride and miss badly on long balls for six years. Franklin is an excellent recruiter but has been far too loyal to Clifford. Franklin telling the media that the decision on starting at QB is a weekly decision is bullshit in my opinion. TaQuan Roberson was the best option behind Clifford last year based upon what Franklin says the coaches saw in practice. If that's the case, Franklin is either full of shit or else, how well a QB will perform in a game usually cannot be gauged in practices alone. And no, I am not calling for Franklin's head but sitting Clifford yesterday should have happened sooner and he should have seen far more playing time this year than he has.

1) We fully recognize that there are certain posters here that dishonestly post as if they are PSU fans, some outed by a number of others. For those in this category, why? It's immature and dishonest and reflects poorly on your own fanbase when outed (some Buckeyes and Pitt fans seem to be the main culprits).

2) Some appear to be anti-Franklin or anti-Clifford at all costs like their opinion on a message board will get them replaced. It ain’t happening. Do you honestly think your incessant whining will change that?

3) There are some are unhappy if we lose, if we win, if we don't win by enough, if we do dominate but don’t bring in their favorite backups soon enough, if we dominate a lesser team, if we beat a team they predicted we'd lose to but now that team isn't any good, if we go 10-2 and get a NY6 bowl, if someone points out that we are doing that with a lot of true freshmen and other very young players playing big roles, etc., etc..

For this group I ask, do people want to be around you in real life? Seriously, some of you are negative about nearly any outcome possible. Does your family even acknowledge you? It's got to be grating on anyone who has to be around you for any length of time being so consistently negative.

My thoughts in PSU. We are improving with a ton of young talent already playing a big role. 10-2 and NY6 puts us in the top 10% of all programs and our trajectory appears to be up. I'm going to enjoy it and recognize that we can still improve and have many of the pieces in place to do just that. The 24/7 negative crowd are just miserable people in my eyes and people that most wouldn't want to be around in real life or online. But that doesn't change my positive outlook one bit.
1. Why? — Disunity/destabilization
2. Will whining change that ? — No. See #1
3. Immediate gratification/self absorption/ Ptolemaic geocentric physics . — Xbox/PlayStation mentality… “I want it, and I want it my way, now”. If not, reset the game.— They are clearly smarter than the coaches ( sarcasm)
—- JMO

The weird thing is pretending people aren't Penn State fans because they don't view things the same as you do.

The reality is, aside from the Purdue game, I'm very happy with the result of every game other than the fact we weren't competitive against Michigan. We just haven't played good teams other than the ones that beat us by double-digits. I didn't even complain about the Northwestern game due to the weather.

I don't know why people have to believe Franklin is an elite coach (he isn't) or that finishing 3rd in the division is a great season (it isn't). We need to improve. The freshman class gives all of us hope.
10-2 is good. The problem is we only played two teams with a pulse and we got embarrassed by both of them. I was thinking our big win was our hang victory against an unranked Purdue team that seemed to be improving but them Purdue just got clobbered by a very average Iowa team. The Auburn win was a nice name win for us but they will finish at the bottom of the SEC and already fired their coach. That is like getting a win against a Scott Frost Nebraska team. It is a nice name win but did you really accomplish anything? For $8M a year I expect Franklin to go toe to toe with Day and Harbaugh regularly and WIN A BOWL GAME regularly which Franklin is dismal at! Win out against the remaining slugs on our schedule and WIN OUR BOWL GAME and then maybe I will start feeling a little optimistic for next year. Although our lack of DL/OL recruiting still has me very worried for next year.

Reactions: manilion
10-2 is good. The problem is we only played two teams with a pulse and we got embarrassed by both of them. I was thinking our big win was our hang victory against an unranked Purdue team that seemed to be improving but them Purdue just got clobbered by a very average Iowa team. The Auburn win was a nice name win for us but they will finish at the bottom of the SEC and already fired their coach. That is like getting a win against a Scott Frost Nebraska team. It is a nice name win but did you really accomplish anything? For $8M a year I expect Franklin to go toe to toe with Day and Harbaugh regularly and WIN A BOWL GAME regularly which Franklin is dismal at! Win out against the remaining slugs on our schedule and WIN OUR BOWL GAME and then maybe I will start feeling a little optimistic for next year. Although our lack of DL/OL recruiting still has me very worried for next year.
So based on Mel Tucker's salary, you expect Michigan State to beat us every year and Sparty ranked in the top five in the country? Got it.

Reactions: marshall23
Maybe you expect more for $8 million but the question is, does the university? He runs a clean program, fills the stands, is an ambassador for the University and we bank a ton of money. So do they care if we are 12-0 versus 8-4? It's really a serious question. Right now, my opinion is that they don't care so all of the blow hards on here might as well get used to it because nothing is changing.

Guys like Clifford will play as long as they like because he's a good guy not because they get us to 12-0. And all decisions inside the program will get made based on the mindset that 10 wins is good enough.

Maybe you expect more for $8 million but the question is, does the university? He runs a clean program, fills the stands, is an ambassador for the University and we bank a ton of money. So do they care if we are 12-0 versus 8-4? It's really a serious question. Right now, my opinion is that they don't care so all of the blow hards on here might as well get used to it because nothing is changing.

Guys like Clifford will play as long as they like because he's a good guy not because they get us to 12-0. And all decisions inside the program will get made based on the mindset that 10 wins is good enough.

Cliff is not starting because "he's a good guy" - that's complete bullshit. You trolls get more ridiculous by the day with your horseshit.

...Guys like Clifford will play as long as they like because he's a good guy not because they get us to 12-0. And all decisions inside the program will get made based on the mindset that 10 wins is good enough.
Chad Powers couldn't get this team to 12-0. And this year, 10 wins will be damn good, when considered contextually. It's not some sort of ceiling, but more of a barometer. It's telling us that things are looking up.

Cliff is not starting because "he's a good guy" - that's complete bullshit. You trolls get more ridiculous by the day with your horseshit.
Clifford start because, in the opinion of the coaches, he gives Penn State the best chance of winning. There is no other reason. You may agree or disagree with that opinion, but Franklin runs the show.

I personally think if the posters bother you enough you should just put them on ignore. This is a message board for fans about football. 1) I don't care who coached unless they can provide insight as to the Xs and Os. A few believe you cant even comment without a coaching background. 2) The people that take constant drive by shots at others add nothing to the conversation. 3) Being positive or negative all the time is the same in my eyes. It's all fake BS to live up to your online identity.

I personally think if the posters bother you enough you should just put them on ignore. This is a message board for fans about football. 1) I don't care who coached unless they can provide insight as to the Xs and Os. A few believe you cant even comment without a coaching background. 2) The people that take constant drive by shots at others add nothing to the conversation. 3) Being positive or negative all the time is the same in my eyes. It's all fake BS to live up to your online identity.

I'm think I've been more of a Positive Paul than a Negative Nellie, but honestly, the latter really don't bother me much. If anything, it livens up debate to have different points of view expressed. I mean, this is a message board after all. It would be boring if everyone agreed with everybody all the time.

Also, let's face it, there are legitimate grounds for criticism over the last few years, though I've also been consistent in saying 10-2 and a nice bowl would be a very nice achievement this year -- even with the embarrassment in Ann Arbor and another 4th-quarter meltdown against Ohio State.

Reactions: psualt
I'm think I've been more of a Positive Paul than a Negative Nellie, but honestly, the latter really don't bother me much. If anything, it livens up debate to have different points of view expressed. I mean, this is a message board after all. It would be boring if everyone agreed with everybody all the time.

Also, let's face it, there are legitimate grounds for criticism over the last few years, though I've also been consistent in saying 10-2 and a nice bowl would be a very nice achievement this year -- even with the embarrassment in Ann Arbor and another 4th-quarter meltdown against Ohio State.
Well I'm not all sunshine and lollipops either but there are a number of posters who act like it's 12-0 or bust. Even then they'd complain that some wins were too close and we played down to XYZ.

The reality is that the covid year was bad. I think Franklin was overly cautious and it hurt us. Some improvements last year and a 9 or 10 win season this year is a natural upward trajectory that is hard to mistake. The fact that we are doing that with a ton of true freshmen through sophomores leading the way at many key positions and continuing even with a banged up OL tells me the future is even brighter.

Can we take the next step in the next couple of seasons? Possibly. It's no guarantee but you have to be encouraged by the upward momentum. That said, we could still drop one we shouldn't. We aren't elite yet.

So based on Mel Tucker's salary, you expect Michigan State to beat us every year and Sparty ranked in the top five in the country? Got it.
Mel Tucker's salary is different - two mortgage company (they may regret it now) execs were mostly behind it as I understood. He had very little track record to support it, and possibly caught lightning in a bottle with Kenneth Walker III.

Outside of a few years with Dantonio, Michigan State has been a second-tier program since the mid-1960s when it won a couple of national titles. Penn State is a much better job/program, so the expectations are and should be higher. Top 5 every year may not be reasonable, but beating Ohio State at least 30 percent of the time and not getting routinely embarrassed in Ann Arbor should be.

Sat next to a PSU ‘fan’ for the Minnesota game and all he did was bitch about Clifford and Franklin the first half. He left by the third. I really don’t get it. So happy when he left.

Reactions: jerrycalpal
We aren't going 12-0 this year with anyone and I like clifford and want him to start but to think that playing Allar now doesn't give us the best chance to win next year is utter nonsense.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
But we’re not playing for next year, we’re playing for 10 wins and a NY6 bowl.
10 wins yes
And NY6 bowl game isn't a "goal". What difference does it make if we're in the Orange against a crappy ACC team or the Citrus (I think that's the next one) against LSU/Ole Miss/Bama?
All those games are just to see how dumb fans are and if they're still willing to spend money to attend a scrimmage with most top seniors/juniors sitting out because they know it's meaningless.

Well I'm not all sunshine and lollipops either but there are a number of posters who act like it's 12-0 or bust. Even then they'd complain that some wins were too close and we played down to XYZ.
This is where the playoff really screwed things up. Putting in 4 teams created a playoff or bust attitude, anything less is not an unacceptable season. EPSN's constant mouth-flapping about the playoffs during every game they broadcast even in week 1 doesn't help, but that's what you get when you let a TV network control 100% of the playoff. Introducing the playoff in the middle of what I like to call the "dynasty era" of CFB didn't help either. Now you have only 4 teams that can be a success each year, and that happens to coincide with the time of Bama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia being dominant every season. That leaves one or two spots available for anyone else to have a "successful" season. The whole model is ridiculous and at this point I'm starting to think the 4 team playoff era didn't help very much. They need to get to an expanded playoff ASAP, and every conference champ should be included so that just getting into the tournament is considered a successful year and keeps more teams interested. I'm at the point where I don't even care about watching yet another playoff game between those top teams, it's been done over and over and I've lost interest.

Reactions: 84Lion and MacNit07
We aren't going 12-0 this year with anyone and I like clifford and want him to start but to think that playing Allar now doesn't give us the best chance to win next year is utter nonsense.
There are no guarantees for next year no matter what you do with Allar now. Franklin's job is to put the best team out there to win games now. He obviously thinks that's Clifford and he sees way more of these players in practice than any of us ever will. He also has way more knowledge and experience coaching and evaluating talent than any of us ever will, despite what the message board warriors want to think.

10 wins yes
And NY6 bowl game isn't a "goal". What difference does it make if we're in the Orange against a crappy ACC team or the Citrus (I think that's the next one) against LSU/Ole Miss/Bama?
All those games are just to see how dumb fans are and if they're still willing to spend money to attend a scrimmage with most top seniors/juniors sitting out because they know it's meaningless.
Why do you even watch the sport? Per your posts here you don't seem to take pleasure in anything related to PSU football. Non-conference games against overmatched teams collecting a paycheck to lose is also a defacto scrimmage. The majority of conference games have a clear favorite, and the outcome is largely known ahead of time. The playoffs consist of a handful of the same teams every single season. So what's the point, why do you watch any of it?

Why do you even watch the sport? Per your posts here you don't seem to take pleasure in anything related to PSU football. Non-conference games against overmatched teams collecting a paycheck to lose is also a defacto scrimmage. The majority of conference games have a clear favorite, and the outcome is largely known ahead of time. The playoffs consist of a handful of the same teams every single season. So what's the point, why do you watch any of it?
Many posters have already agreed that he is not a PSU fan. Sucks that there are fake Buckeyes and Pitt fans here pretending to be something they aren't. But that's reality.

You expand the playoff it won't just be the same teams every year
Why do you don't care about winning? Did you enjoy the past 2 years?
Have we won a "big" game this year? What's the best win this year? Ohio?

You expand the playoff it won't just be the same teams every year
Why do you don't care about winning? Did you enjoy the past 2 years?
Have we won a "big" game this year? What's the best win this year? Ohio?
I enjoy watching every game, win or lose, otherwise I wouldn't be a fan. Sure some games have frustrating moments, but I wouldn't waste my time watching the sport if I didn't get any enjoyment from it. A win over a top team would be nice, but it is what it is. We can only play the teams on the schedule and 2 of those teams happen to be better than we are right now.

I enjoy watching every game, win or lose, otherwise I wouldn't be a fan. Sure some games have frustrating moments, but I wouldn't waste my time watching the sport if I didn't get any enjoyment from it. A win over a top team would be nice, but it is what it is. We can only play the teams on the schedule and 2 of those teams happen to be better than we are right now.
Why would anyone enjoy losing? Fans are supposed to live and die with the team not pretend they had fun watching Michigan destroy us.
We'll go 10-2 which is fine. It's a solid year. We won't have a quality win and we lost convincingly to Oho State and Michigan which tells us we're not close to being elite. I'm not angry with this season--assuming we don't lose a game we shouldn't the rest of the way--we met expectations. I'm not going to celebrate that. I'm going to focus on the young talent, hope Franklin & company develop them and we're competitive next year or in 2024. The objective is to compete and win titles not be "Penn State is solid but is a distant third in their division" which we are.

Excellent question. Those posters that you described, you have to wonder about their overall outlook on life, not just Penn State football.

Reactions: jerrycalpal
Excellent question. Those posters that you described, you have to wonder about their overall outlook on life, not just Penn State football.
Ok seriously. What other “top 15” offense is painful to watch? Why is the 5 star future QB not getting meaningful playing time in a blowout with a soso sixth year senior starting.? When was the last time we had a “good” offense despite putting plenty in the nfl? How far back you wanna go?

Chad Powers couldn't get this team to 12-0. And this year, 10 wins will be damn good, when considered contextually. It's not some sort of ceiling, but more of a barometer. It's telling us that things are looking up.
Based on the situation at hand, I am not sure I agree with you. 10 wins is always good but when you look at how weak the schedule actually is, it isn't impressive at all, especially when paired with our performance against Michigan and Ohio State. We have improved incrementally but are farther away than last year.

Clifford start because, in the opinion of the coaches, he gives Penn State the best chance of winning. There is no other reason. You may agree or disagree with that opinion, but Franklin runs the show.
Given the state of the offensive line, Clifford is the best option right now. He is a threat to run, even if he doesn't tuck it much at this point which keeps the defense on its toes. If Allar was in right now, we would see the Hackenberg strategy. Teams would play cover 0 and send everyone on every play to get to the QB before he throws it. John Donovan's inability to adjust killed Hack's career. Franklin can't do that to Allar before his starts.

….All those games are just to see how dumb fans are and if they're still willing to spend money to attend a scrimmage with most top seniors/juniors sitting out because they know it's meaningless.
Well, the bowl games count on the record, so meaningless can’t be an accurate description.

A lot of fans don’t understand that the team belongs to the players, not the fans. The players work out 365 days. The Coaches just okay the best players to win or they lose the team. The players love Franklin and play hard for him. Sitting a Clifford would be tantamount to saying “hey seniors, your days are done and we are moving on.” Tig,PJ, you guys sit out. PSU is playing for a major bowl and these players deserve that support. As far as four time Captain, Sean Clifford, he gets a lot of credit for the bounce back wins
after the tough loses. Kudos to the kids for a great season. For the fair weather fans who are upset, i suggest getting a life.

A lot of fans don’t understand that the team belongs to the players, not the fans. The players work out 365 days. The Coaches just okay the best players to win or they lose the team. The players love Franklin and play hard for him. Sitting a Clifford would be tantamount to saying “hey seniors, your days are done and we are moving on.” Tig,PJ, you guys sit out. PSU is playing for a major bowl and these players deserve that support. As far as four time Captain, Sean Clifford, he gets a lot of credit for the bounce back wins
after the tough loses. Kudos to the kids for a great season. For the fair weather fans who are upset, i suggest getting a life.
The team doesn't belong to the players, the team belongs to the University which is made up of students and the alumni.

That’s all great, but what about the top seniors who then decide to sit it out once we get to that major bowl game? How is that fair to the fans who support the whole system?

Being critical at times does not mean you are not a fan.

Reactions: crm114psu
I believe there are several who man multiple posing-fan troll accounts.... After they make a post with one "we-fan" account, they respond with their other posing "we-fan" troll account always beginning their post, "I agree with you..... blah, blah, blah". The responses always read the same.... - some of these idiots have serious issues - disturbing really.

This is where the playoff really screwed things up. Putting in 4 teams created a playoff or bust attitude
The playoff didn’t screw anything up. Any negative attitudes were created by people for their own reasons.
Introducing the playoff in the middle of what I like to call the "dynasty era" of CFB didn't help either. Now you have only 4 teams that can be a success each year, and that happens to coincide with the time of Bama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia being dominant every season.
UGA had made 2/8 CFPs before this season, Clemson was still chasing FSU when the CFP started. Non-participating teams failures on the field are why they have not made it. PSU could have made it in 2017, good chance even after losing to tOSU, but no, they failed after against MSU.
They need to get to an expanded playoff ASAP, and every conference champ should be included so that just getting into the tournament is considered a successful year and keeps more teams interested.
In the expanded format, there are going to be more groups of fans complaining about not being invited than there currently are.

In addition, I caution that once the novelty of the participation trophy invites wear off, people aren’t going to be satisfied their team ends the season with the disappointment of a loss.

Reactions: crm114psu
ADVERTISEMENT