ADVERTISEMENT

Quick note on LB Nyeem Wartman status...

Aug 8, 2010
LB Nyeem Wartman talked on a conference call with reporters this morning. Obviously he didn't get into details about why he had been limited in spring practice recently, but he says his status for Saturday is "to be announced" and he's "not really sure" if he'll be out there for the Blue-White Game. It's not anything overly serious, but personally, I'd be surprised to see him play.

Although Wartman is back in pads now at practice, according to a video posted by GoPSUSports, when he was out the last couple weeks, he had aimed to build more of a leadership role from the sideline.

He said he was trying to "become more of a verbal leader, become more of a guy who shows he actually cares about the game, even though he's limited, to show everyone that I'm still mentally into it. It's easy to get distracted when you're not fully into it, so I'm just trying to show guys that I'm out here and I'm committed to this team and this defense and I want to win."

Prior to the injury, Wartman said he had been practicing mostly at Mike LB, although he also saw a few reps at Will. At least entering the spring, however, he was the guy penciled into MLB.

Wartman said the coaches informed him about making the switch from Will to Mike "during the winter, maybe a month before spring ball. Right now we're just figuring out who can fit where. A bunch of us are good linebackers so we're just going to try to place the best three guys on the field. Whoever - exlcuding me or including me. Just whatever it takes to make the team win, I'm down for whatever."

This post was edited on 4/14 10:55 AM by Tim Owen/BWI staff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.