ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the BiG teams

bdgan

May 29, 2008
We're half way through the season and IMO we still don't know how good most teams are at this point.
  1. Indiana is 6-0 but they still have to play Neb, Wash, UM, and OSU. I'll say 9-3.
  2. Oregon is 6-0 and only has to play ILL, MICH, Wisc, and WASH. I'll say 11-1.
  3. PSU is 6-0 but must still play WISC, OSU, MINN, WASH. I'll say 10-2.
  4. ILL is 5-1 but must still play MICH & OR. I'll say 9-3.
  5. NEB is 5-1 but must play IND, OSU, USC, and WISC. I'll say 9-3.
  6. OSU is 5-1 and must play NEB, PSU, and MICH. I'll say 11-1.
  7. Iowa is 4-2 and only has to play WISC & NEB. I'll say 9-3.
  8. Michigan is 4-2 with games against ILL, OR, & OSU. 9-3.
  9. Wisconsin is 4-2 and must play PSU, OR, and NEB. I'll say 8-4.
  10. Minnesota is 4-2 and has to play ILL, PSU, and NEB. Sounds like 8-4.
  11. Washington is 4-3 and has to play IND, USC, PSU, and OR. 6-6 seems likely.
  12. Rutgers is 4-2 with games against USC and MINN remaining. I'll go with 8-4.
  13. USC is 3-3 with games vs RUT, WASH, NEB, and ND remaining. I'll say 8-4

A lot of us thought PSU could run but who knows after yesterday? And who knows how good our defense is?
I thought Minny was good after playing MICH & USC even but they barely beat UCLA.
I thought Washington was good after beating MICH and Iowa didn't have an offense but Iowa scored 40 on Washington.
How good is Illinois if they need a failed 2 pt conversion to beat Purdue in OT?

I think Oregon & OSU will play for the BiG title. PSU gets into the playoff at 10-2 but there's a chance for a bye if they can finish 11-1.

Final Rankings:
  1. OSU
  2. Oregon
  3. PSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Iowa

Last edited:
We're half way through the season and IMO we still don't know how good most teams are at this point.
  1. Indiana is 6-0 but they still have to play Neb, Wash, UM, and OSU. I'll say 9-3.

A lot of us thought PSU could run but who knows after yesterday? And who knows how good our defense is?
I thought Minny was good after playing MICH & USC even but they barely beat UCLA.
I thought Washington was good after beating MICH and Iowa didn't have an offense but Iowa scored 40 on Washington.
How good is Illinois if they need a failed 2 pt conversion to beat Purdue in OT?

I think Oregon & OSU will play for the BiG title. PSU gets into the playoff at 10-2 but there's a chance for a bye if they can finish 11- 1
No reason PSU cannot finish 11-1 as long as they are ready to play. No team on that remaining schedule they cannot beat except possibly OSU. The running game is still there. Opposing defenses have to pick their poison. USC chose to shut down the running game and Allar proved he could win a difficult game on the road. Warren is a great TE, going forward teams will scheme to shut him down, which will open up opportunities for other players to shine. The last TD throw to Singleton is a good example.

I think Oregon & OSU will play for the BiG title. PSU gets into the playoff at 10-2 but there's a chance for a bye if they can finish 11-1.

Final Rankings:
  1. OSU
  2. Oregon
  3. PSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Iowa
If we go 10-2 the end to this season is highly disappointing. We have a better shot at 12-0 than going 10-2.
I think Indiana goes 10-2 and I'd have Iowa 4 and Indiana 5 (Michigan at 6)

1. Oregon
2. OSU
3. PSU

Until we beat OSU or they get a 2nd conference loss, I can't put us ahead of them.

Indiana could be #4, but I have to see them beat Michigan/OSU first.

Nebraska and Illinois lurking along with Iowa. Nebraska has the most tough games left. As chaotic as it has been, good luck sorting these guys out.

1. Oregon
2. OSU
3. PSU

Until we beat OSU or they get a 2nd conference loss, I can't put us ahead of them.

Indiana could be #4, but I have to see them beat Michigan/OSU first.

Nebraska and Illinois lurking along with Iowa. Nebraska has the most tough games left. As chaotic as it has been, good luck sorting these guys out.
Purdue is so bad--Illinois struggling with them makes me really question how good they are
I know it happens but Purdue isn't Vandy level bad--they're Temple level bad

If we go 10-2 the end to this season is highly disappointing. We have a better shot at 12-0 than going 10-2.
I think Indiana goes 10-2 and I'd have Iowa 4 and Indiana 5 (Michigan at 6)
I'd like to think we finish 11-1. The problem is I don't know how good Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Washington are.

@Wisconsin's only losses are to Alabama and USC.
Washington beat Michigan.
@ Minnesota played Michigan & USC even.

ESPN says 70% chance vs Wisconsin, 85% chance vs Washington, and 72% chance vs Minnesota. My match says expected value = 2.27 wins.

I'd like to think we finish 11-1. The problem is I don't know how good Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Washington are.

ESPN says 70% chance vs Wisconsin, 85% chance vs Washington, and 72% chance vs Minnesota. My match says expected value = 2.27 wins.
We shouldn't lose to any of those teams. Not one is good enough in any area that concerns me. When we're given 70% chance to win we should win. Less than 11-1 simply isn't good enough this year now that we're past USC.

Reactions: lilwashnitfan

Final Rankings:
  1. OSU
  2. Oregon
  3. PSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Iowa
Reference PSU running. I only saw the repay of Singleton's TD reception and he looked gimp, had no burst. I think he's hurt. Hopefully the extra week allows him to heal up as well as Donkoh.

Your negativity is a bit overstated here. 75 percent win chances or more in every remaining game other than Ohio State. Anything worse than 11-1 is shitting the bed and this team has shown no evidence of shitting the bed whatsoever.

Wisconsin is improving but Washington is not. Minnesota playing well but not great. Other than tOSU I see a lot of Illinois like teams.

Washington probably has the best RB/WR of the 3, but has struggled on the road. Losses to Rutgers (who has fell off) and Iowa (who dominated them) plus it being the White Out neutralizes them a lot.

Minnesota will try to make it a rock fight, but they struggled with UCLA. Probably the toughest game (not counting OSU) we have left, but it being a road trip is likely the hardest part.

Wisky I'm not sure about. I don't know if they are as good as Illinois, but it's a combo: road trip and after a bye week. Plus, we could be looking ahead to OSU. Definitely a trap game.

And a lot depends on future game plans. Do we come out slinging like we did the 2nd half vs USC? I don't think any of the 3 can stop that for 4 quarters. Does our running game return improved or declined?

Reactions: RickinDayton

We will get everyone’s best game including OSU. That’s the way it is when your Penn State especially now that we are ranked 3rd. The coaches and players know this and will have to be prepared accordingly.

We will get everyone’s best game including OSU. That’s the way it is when your Penn State especially now that we are ranked 3rd. The coaches and players know this and will have to be prepared accordingly.
Yep. Being ranked #3 we will have a target on our backs. Plus, a win over us really strengthens their bowl/playoff opportunity. tOSU, for example, is out of the playoff if they lose to us. Wisconsin, for example, still has a shot for a playoff birth if they beat us and win out (they still have to play Oregon in Wisconsin).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT