ADVERTISEMENT

Rec Hall Debate…

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
There have been a lot of talk recently, at least of PSU student journalists, about PSU wrestling moving to the BJC full-time.

Personally I hate the idea and hate that the proposal is coming from non-wrestling fans who likely either don’t attend duals at all or only once a year for Iowa/OSU/UM.

I also just think Rec is a fantastic wrestling environment and the BJC would be largely empty for half the B1G schedule and most non-con duals.

With that said, I also acknowledge that Rec is old and has its flaws. Should PSU have to or opt to move I would hope the choice is to build a standalone facility under 10K.

The best wrestling environments are smaller, hot, and the fans are on top of you.

What I want to know is what you guys all think? I am aware I am an old soul and nostalgic. But it’s hard for me to buy that the BJC is truly a better environment when I think about the huge moments in Rec the last 10 years compared to those in the BJC.

Moving it to the BJC is just a money move. So many people want season tickets. We could sell a ton and then a lot of no shows for a weaker crowd environment. It is an untapped stream of revenue potentially but I'm pretty sure basketball is required to be at the BJC also which complicates things.

A tweener venue would be optimal. If we invest in women's wrestling, maybe a new facility. Could any of these facility enhancements be justified financially? Certainly not near the top of most lists I would think.

Then again maybe then we can keep Cael into his 80s!

Reactions: mcpat
Talk about the fans on top of the mat, I was coaching at Danville when the Hughes brothers wrestled at Benton. WOW...jam packed gym and the fans literally had their feet on the mat sitting in the front row of bleachers. We had a kid that was the only loss and only tie John Hughes had in high school. What a war those dual meets were back in the day!! Love those small venues!!

Reactions: Ja1339 and danoftw
If they could figure out a way to expand Rec Hall (my preference) or if they built a 9,500 seat facility I would then want only 1 BJC match a year. The idea of moving all matches to BJC is a bit ridiculous. In the 2 attempts to host 2 matches in the BJC the less attractive matchup has not sold out and many obvious empty seats. As you pointed out, matches like Clarion might attract 10,000 people but it is still going to be 30 percent empty.

A tweener venue would be optimal. If we invest in women's wrestling, maybe a new facility. Could any of these facility enhancements be justified financially? Certainly not near the top of most lists I would think.

Then again maybe then we can keep Cael into his 80s!
It probably would not just be wrestling, volleyball and gymnastics could also utilize it and make it more cost effective.

If they could figure out a way to expand Rec Hall (my preference) or if they built a 9,500 seat facility I would then want only 1 BJC match a year. The idea of moving all matches to BJC is a bit ridiculous. In the 2 attempts to host 2 matches in the BJC the less attractive matchup has not sold out and many obvious empty seats. As you pointed out, matches like Clarion might attract 10,000 people but it is still going to be 30 percent empty.
Philipsburg-Osceola v West Branch in the early 70s, not a spot on the floor to walk. Early 80s against fellow undefeated State College, 4 in the afternoon the line to get in was an eighth of a mile long and eventually people had to buy tickets to watch in the auditorium on close circuit TV.
70s and 80s any match between P-O and BEA were fans on top of fans.
These environments make for a great environment for fans and athletes. Even the small fry matches at Rec have this environment.

It probably would not just be wrestling, volleyball and gymnastics could also utilize it and make it more cost effective.
A new facility would be extremely expensive and only wrestling would really benefit as even our very successful women's volleyball rarely sells out. Not to mention it would need to replace all of the locker rooms, offices, workout areas, etc. that are in Rec Hall. I don't see it happening anytime in the near or even far future. JMHO.

A new facility would be extremely expensive and only wrestling would really benefit as even our very successful women's volleyball rarely sells out. Not to mention it would need to replace all of the locker rooms, offices, workout areas, etc. that are in Rec Hall. I don't see it happening anytime in the near or even far future. JMHO.
I did not say the other sports needed it from an attendance standpoint. Just meant they could benefit from a new state of the art facility.
It may not happen, but so hope Kraft does make it happen.

Reactions: nitlion6
I did not say the other sports needed it from an attendance standpoint. Just meant they could benefit from a new state of the art facility.
giphy.gif

110% Rec Hall. I like the production (especially the pep band!) and the seatbacks at the BJC. But otherwise Rec is better in every way that matters to me.

I'd be fine w/ some kind of tastefull expansion of Rec, but that seems unlikely.

My main point is that it would be a huge money expenditure for the athletic program with very little in additional revenue compared to the expense so although I would love to see it happen it's just not going to happen. At least not in my life time.

Reactions: Sullivan
Moving it to the BJC is just a money move. So many people want season tickets. We could sell a ton and then a lot of no shows for a weaker crowd environment. It is an untapped stream of revenue potentially but I'm pretty sure basketball is required to be at the BJC also which complicates things.
This. That said. There's a ton of money being left on the table.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I would love to see a new wrestling complex built that would hold 8-10,000. It could be used for Volleyball, Gymnastics, other events, graduations. And I could get season tickets. That is the most important fact.
I like 12-15k. Most matches are on the weekends. And I love Rec.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I totally missed it, and still am missing it. I guess call me Capt Oblivious. I still don’t not see the joke…. Despite reading over and over. I did think it was a weird question.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This. That said. There's a ton of money being left on the table.
How much does the athletic department have to pay to rent the BJC? Matches at Rec Hall do not have this added expense. Does the additional parking revenue also go to the Athletic department or just to PSU? I think any possible permanent move to the BJC would need to do a thorough cost analysis. The extra revenue would need to be significant to make up for losing the atmosphere of Rec Hall.

Agree--BJC has a LOT more overhead for the program too. And what is the BJC going to feel like when we get 6,000 to show up for Clarion?

How much does the athletic department have to pay to rent the BJC? Matches at Rec Hall do not have this added expense. Does the additional parking revenue also go to the Athletic department or just to PSU? I think any possible permanent move to the BJC would need to do a thorough cost analysis. The extra revenue would need to be significant to make up for losing the atmosphere of Rec Hall.
I'm not sure. The whole BJC issue started when they built the damn thing. It's a very bad band-aid of a facility.

It either has to stay at REC hall or as you said.. build a new stand alone arena under 10 K and make it for all the olympic sports.. volleyball/gymnastics/wrestling... etc... leave REC in place as a student/practice facility.. which it is fine for.. Moving all the matches to BJC would be a horrible move..

Hell, men are still pissing into troughs at the Beav. Lol been doing it since my first game as a child in the late 70's!

I totally missed it, and still am missing it. I guess call me Capt Oblivious. I still don’t not see the joke…. Despite reading over and over. I did think it wasa weird question.
If you remove the "C" from "BJC" what does your inner teenager think of when someone says they enjoy the occasional....

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Personally, I’m for the older, smaller, warmer venues. Two weeks ago, we got to experience BJC on Friday night against another Top 5 program. The competition, the interest level, National TV audience, etc. all made it perfectly appropriate to move to the larger venue. Sunday we attended MSU at Rec center, a totally different but pleasant experience (think Palestra). I consider us lucky to have two great options on campus. Typically we host 7 or so home duals every season. The Rec Center atmosphere and history is great for Clarion, Army, Rider, etc. But, we are blessed to have BJC for the big rivalries and for BIG Championships and other tournaments like Final X. I know everyone wants the latest, greatest and newest facilities to brag about. But, why follow the crowd? Under Cael, Penn State has created a magical environment for our wrestlers and fans. I’m not too anxious to wish all of that away.

Shane Sparks, Willie and all the talking heads who were there for the Iowa match spoke about the great production and atmosphere of BJC. Shane I think said it is right there with Caver Hawkeye. It was a great night but I still like Rec Hall just a tad better.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
The bottom line is that the best atmosphere for any sporting event is a capacity crowd, regardless of the venue size. If they can construct a new facility to replace Rec Hall and keep the capacity limited to whatever will still sell out (or at least "fill") for the Clarion-sized matches, but still have the 16k capacity BJC for the Iowa-sized matches, that is the ideal solution. I do NOT like the idea of moving all matches to BJC and have it half-filled for a lot of them.

I lived in Chicago when the United Center opened in the 90s. Chicago needed a huge cavernous venue for MJ, but the Blackhawks also moved there from the old Chicago Stadium, which was one of the best old hockey venues in the country where the upper level, which almost hung over the ice, would be rocking up and down by the end of the anthem. That stadium itself used to score goals for the Blackhawks on the opening shift. LOL. The Blackhawks playing in a monster sized arena with the sound of silence echoing through the upper deck instead of the raucous old Stadium was depressing and awful.

Talk about the fans on top of the mat, I was coaching at Danville when the Hughes brothers wrestled at Benton. WOW...jam packed gym and the fans literally had their feet on the mat sitting in the front row of bleachers. We had a kid that was the only loss and only tie John Hughes had in high school. What a war those dual meets were back in the day!! Love those small venues!!
Were you there when Jimmy Martin was there?

ADVERTISEMENT