ADVERTISEMENT

Rec Hall observations that probably didn't come through the broadcast.

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
When Carter came out during the pre-match introductions, he shook the hands of everyone in the first row of folding chairs. (Pat Kraft did the same during an intermission.)

To me, the team and the crowd seemed low energy. Walking, as opposed to running, out to the mat during the introductions and matches was unusual.

At the pre-match social, Cody Sanderson said OSU had a couple of starters banged up at the Cliff Keane tourney and they couldn't wrestle, which is why Brooks did not start. Ball and the kid he wrestled were supposed to go as an extra match after the meet. Instead, they started.

He also said they are waiting to hear from the Scuffle about sending kids. The Scuffle has changed their format from an open to an invitational. They like to invite teams, but Cael does not want to send kids through the grind of a tournament right before the start of Big 10 season.

As the second period ended in Carter's match where time ran out on his take down attempt, somebody from the OSU bench let out a loud, "Oy!"

They may have brought the sound guy over from Beaver Stadium. The music was cranked up to noise distortion levels.

And as a late edit, according to the LED sign under the scorer's desk, Penn State has a new sponsor: New Jersey. (Rutgers is not worthy.)

Last edited:
When Carter came out during the pre-match ....
And as a late edit, according to the LED sign under the scorer's desk, Penn State has a new sponsor: New Jersey. (Rutgers is not worthy.)
I noticed that visit New Jersey Ad also.

I saw it displayed the match before SVN came out who is a native NJ guy.

SVN is on fire this year and I just chalked it up as a reminder to Cael to find more like him in the Garden State.

The Ukrainian Team was in to wrestle recently at the Bill Farrell Tournament and I think were using Lorenzo as a place to work out after the fact. My take on it.

I was by the locker room when a NLWC coach came by as did the the Ukrainian contingency.

Their coach shook my hand. I had on a NLWC polo shirt on and maybe the coach thought I was somewhat important and with the Club.

I'm not important nor with the Club. I'm reminded of the first part at home.

The Ukrainian Team was in to wrestle recently at the Bill Farrell Tournament and I think were using Lorenzo as a place to work out after the fact. My take on it.

I was by the locker room when a NLWC coach came by as did the the Ukrainian contingency.

Their coach shook my hand. I had on a NLWC polo shirt on and maybe the coach thought I was somewhat important and with the Club.

I'm not important nor with the Club. I'm reminded of the first part at home.
giphy.gif

It’s good to know they had some kids banged up that couldn’t wrestle. I never understood flying across the country and not wrestling your best guys.

Wexford, of all GIFs to use, that one was below the belt.

Watch your step with me. I now know people. All it would take would be one phone call (long distance, but I'd reverse the charges) to have you as Col. Klink would say "sent to the Russian front".
that one was below the belt
my pleasure.LOL
hit_06.gif

To me, the team and the crowd seemed low energy. Walking, as opposed to running, out to the mat during the introductions and matches was unusual.
Is this more a result from being Sunday afternoon thing as Friday or Saturday night matched seem more amped up? Not many intriguing matchups?

From the team point of view I would imagine this week would be difficult because of finals and all.

Watched it on ESPNU and it did seem to be a very quiet crowd... Maybe many were at the PSU Quarterbacks Club annual Football Banquet. The meet was a ho-hummer. Oregon State had what 5 TD's the entire match?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I watched it on the tube, not a lot of energy from the crowd came over the screen. Seemed like a Thursday night BIG10 match up of Indiana and Northwestern.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
It definitely seemed like the team "walk out" was intentional. Not sure who's intention--but I don't think it was indicative of a lack of energy for competing--maybe more a "act like you've been here before" thing? Roman walked slowly out before his match until hitting the coaches corner, then turned it into a casual trot.

Rec Hall is pretty much always pretty quiet, unless the dual is really contested/hot--and how often does that happen? I wish very much that we had more wrestling-specific cheers and whatnot to do during a match to get the crowd going. Maybe it's sacrilege, but the "We Are" chants are soooo yawn (and not cute after the first kid starts one). The accelerating rhythmic clapping isn't much better. Mostly--the "boomers" don't want to be distracted from watching the matches intently, but I think we're ripe for something fresh to happen w/ the production of a dual.

It definitely seemed like the team "walk out" was intentional. Not sure who's intention--but I don't think it was indicative of a lack of energy for competing--maybe more a "act like you've been here before" thing? Roman walked slowly out before his match until hitting the coaches corner, then turned it into a casual trot.

Rec Hall is pretty much always pretty quiet, unless the dual is really contested/hot--and how often does that happen? I wish very much that we had more wrestling-specific cheers and whatnot to do during a match to get the crowd going. Maybe it's sacrilege, but the "We Are" chants are soooo yawn (and not cute after the first kid starts one). The accelerating rhythmic clapping isn't much better. Mostly--the "boomers" don't want to be distracted from watching the matches intently, but I think we're ripe for something fresh to happen w/ the production of a dual.
Bring back the hula hoop girl.

Low energy boomers. They have been there before. Donate the tickets to someone not checking their blood pressure monitor during a match.

the "We Are" chants are soooo yawn (and not cute after the first kid starts one). The accelerating rhythmic clapping isn't much better. Mostly--the "boomers" don't want to be distracted from watching the matches intently,
Shots fired at the Boomers, although it probably includes the prior generation too.

We like the hype video. We'd also like the Lion Lights, if we didn't have Jitterbug phones.

But P-L-E-A-S-E don't bring back 'The Wave', because our original and replacement knees coudn't handle that!!!

Seriously, this is something to be assigned to the student fan club. The fans of Men's Basketball team have their set of chants and routines, as do the Men's Hockey team.

Last edited:
Shots fired at the Boomers, alhough it probably includes the prior generation too.

We like the hype video. We'd also like the Lion Lights, if we didn't have Jitterbug phones.

But P-L-E-A-S-E don't bring back 'The Wave', because our original and replacement knees coudn't handle that!!!

Seriously, this is something to be assigned to the student fan club. The fans of Men's Basketball team have their set of chants and routines, as do the Men's Hockey team.
Sorry--I have many friends that are boomers, lol. Was just calling back to the grumbles about them at Rec Hall in the match thread.

The hype video and stuff is cool! And yeah, the wave is also pretty lame. Is it too much to ask to hand out vuvuzelas, lol?

Low energy boomers. They have been there before. Donate the tickets to someone not checking their blood pressure monitor during a match.
Those “boomers” … many like myself have been there since the 1980’s supporting the team when they were “good” but not always great. So guess what … I’ll be keeping my tickets .. and be cheering whenever there is action or a need to encourage our wrestlers. Now that PSU is ‘the best show in town’ there’s a lot of Johnny come lately’s screaming to let them in … you can have my tickets when I move on to the next life… lol

Donate the tickets to someone not checking their blood pressure monitor during a match.
Look we've got so much 💰 from our pensions, SS, and 401ks (and saving by using Jitterbug pay as you go phone plans) that we can afford smart watches to constantly monitor our heart beat and blood oxygen level, along with blood pressure. That's how we can watch intently. Oh, and it even monitors our sleep, if we nod off during the dual.

Last edited:
Those “boomers” … many like myself have been there since the 1980’s supporting the team when they were “good” but not always great. So guess what … I’ll be keeping my tickets .. and be cheering whenever there is action or a need to encourage our wrestlers. Now that PSU is ‘the best show in town’ there’s a lot of Johnny come lately’s screaming to let them in … you can have my tickets when I move on to the next life… lol
10 seconds in

Look we've got so much 💰 from our pensions, SS, and 401ks (and saving by using Jitterbug pay as you go phone plans) that we can afford smart watches to constantly monitoring our heart beat and blood oxygen level, along with blood pressure. That's how we can watch intently. Oh, and it even monitors our sleep, if we nod off during the dual.
dont forget the reverse mortgages....

Lots of factors at play, imo.
1. Volume and excitement goes up fast when it’s a big-time matchup… but how many teams have the horses to provide more than one per dual, if that?
1A. Big, cliffhanger moments within a match see an immediate volume response, but the PSU hammers don’t allow for many of those either. I blame Carl, whoever that is. 🤷‍♂️
2. Most of the fans (especially the Boomers) really know what they’re watching and are so intent on the technique they don’t do much else beyond really stare at the action. The octogenarian in front of me was coaching under his breath through every situation, and almost every time the wrestler ended up doing exactly as the man instructed, with successful results. He wasn’t loud, but man did the guy know and appreciate wrestling.
3. It feels a bit like the fans even feel the need to “act like you’ve been there before” rather than concoct an atmosphere that jumps through the tv screen.
And I’m Gen X, so spare me the Boomer label- my teenagers call me that enough, I don’t need a bunch of other old farts doing it too. 😉

I was there. It definitely wasn't the most upbeat rec hall match I've seen. Coming off of deer rifle season the day before had me pretty well spent for the last half of the weekend.

I still enjoyed the matches and watching warm-ups prior to the match down in the Lorenzo complex. The matches were all pretty tight. Oregon State has a nice team and will keep getting better under Pendleton. There is a lot more parity in NCAA Div I wrestling over the last few years, so I can understand why some matches aren't as high flying.

Agree. Ball’s match was the most exciting and Rec Hall woke up a bit.

Let’s be honest….Ball’s opponent is the one that rocked. That mullet was top shelf, a physique that was maybe shaped by Kevin Steinhaus and had everybody ready for…well….anything. We had zero back points in the whole match by the time Donovan did his waltz to the mat and this just oozed “Anticipation” as if Billy Ray Cyrus had covered the song of the same name.

And ….as it turns out…it was a fun match to watch. Ball shoots. Billy Ray fends him off. Ball shoots. Billy Ray fends him off. Rinse repeat. It made for good theatre if not good wrestling and it was…for real…a match that livened up the crowd. We enjoyed it.

My memory may be going. Did Col. Klink threaten Sgt. Schultz with this or say it about himself after being similarly threatened by his superiors? Maybe both. Time to Google the trivial.
Buckhalter threatened Klink and Schultz and Kilnk threatened Schultz.

Klink and Schultz were regularly convinced they were going as Hogan and crew did their antics.

Let’s be honest….Ball’s opponent is the one that rocked. That mullet was top shelf, a physique that was maybe shaped by Kevin Steinhaus and had everybody ready for…well….anything. We had zero back points in the whole match by the time Donovan did his waltz to the mat and this just oozed “Anticipation” as if Billy Ray Cyrus had covered the song of the same name.

And ….as it turns out…it was a fun match to watch. Ball shoots. Billy Ray fends him off. Ball shoots. Billy Ray fends him off. Rinse repeat. It made for good theatre if not good wrestling and it was…for real…a match that livened up the crowd. We enjoyed it.
Starter-level version of this if Facundo draws Nijenhuis at B10s or NCAAs.

-nuqFajU.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowbell Man

I follow the Premier League and always wonder why American fans never get into songs for athletes. It would be awesome to be at a Phillies game and hearing 44,000 people singing out the players' names. Wrestling would be perfect for this too.

ADVERTISEMENT