ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling RECAP: No. 1 Penn State Wrestling rolls over No. 2 Iowa, 23-14

Let's face it gang, the biggest upset of the night was against our own expectations.

When you look back at what Cael has done recently with blue chip recruits in their true or RS Freshman year, this group of young guns doesn't quite look like Nolf, Nickal, Cenzo, Mark, Aaron, Carter... Maybe Levi is sniffing a little of this air. Could it be they more resemble first years more down to earth like Zain, Nick or RBY? Oh wait, the later list turned out pretty frigging good now didn't they?

Looking over both lists, how many undefeated Freshman have we had? Ooops. I am getting the sense that, what blue chippers in this program do in Nov-Feb, doesn't seem to translate into what happens in March. Uh oh!

Trust the process.

Now let's look at Beau since he has had the benefit of a couple of years in the program. Might I be concerned that he is just one of those kids who has the obvious talent to win it all, but his style is just too conservative to beat the best? Maybe. Then again, that is not who he was in highschool for sure, and he too is really just a handful of matches into his first year at the weight where he belongs. I don't think we have seen the peak of that development curve. Clearly he is already an AA calliber lock which is pretty outstanding. Remember 'expectations' and 'trust the process'.

Ok. Final observation. We Lion fans are spoiled rotten, I'll admit it. The match was not the most entertaining and seemed a lot closer than the quite comfortable 9 point victory indicated.

That is until you view things from the Iowa perspective. Far too few takedowns, more than 1/3 the points came from 1 wrestler, and PSUs young guns who seem to surprise every year, lost 3 of 4, but not by much.

I didn't see that 3 of 4 scenario coming.... ahhh, 'expectations'.

What does Iowa have to hang their hat on? Spencer for sure, but I'll get to that. Real is the real deal, but others including Beau are right there, and the less than dyamic Kennedy barely won to our young pup who is still learning. Iowa's veteran guns Murin, Brands Warner, Cassi might inspire, just not vs PSU that much, or projecting on into March.

So back to Spencer. This match had it's Tomasello into the scorer's table moment for sure. How frigging awesome was that Vespa TD and cradle? You know for a fact that of thousands of Iowan's collectively shit themselves for a few seconds there.

What is interesting is their underwear still bears fresh skid marks from two other bouts in the month of January. WTF Spencer, tossed to your back in three straight bouts? 1 is an anomaly. 2 an opportunity for growth. 3 a pattern. Something ain't right with that picture. Could Spencer be vulnerable?

As a PSU fan, I think Spencer waltzes to #4 and the Hodge. As an Iowa fan, that journey given the these shart-stain filled episodes, will create unease until he gets past Glory. A kid who has to be watching, knowing that Spencer can absolutely be taken down, and put to his back.

So in summary. As an Iowa fan there isn't a whole heck of a lot to be excited about it. Even their 'sure thing' has some very strange kinks in the armor.

Then again we return to expectations. This Iowa squad is super solid top to bottom, talented, and is in the cat bird seat to runnerup this year. If one focuses on realistic expectations the Hawks will deliver.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12bflying and mcpat
Ok. Final observation. We Lion fans are spoiled rotten, I'll admit it. The match was not the most entertaining and seemed a lot closer than the quite comfortable 9 point victory indicated.

That is until you view things from the Iowa perspective. Far too few takedowns, more than 1/3 the points came from 1 wrestler, and PSUs young guns who seem to surprise every year, lost 3 of 4, but not by much.

What does Iowa have to hang their hat on? Spencer for sure, but I'll get to that. Real is the real deal, but others including Beau are right there, and the less than dyamic Kennedy barely won to our young pup who is still learning. Iowa's veteran guns Murin, Brands Warner, Cassi might inspire, just not vs PSU that much, or projecting on into March.

So back to Spencer. This match had it's Tomasello into the scorer's table moment for sure. How frigging awesome was that Vespa TD and cradle? You know for a fact that of thousands of Iowan's collectively shit themselves for a few seconds there.

What is interesting is their underwear still bears fresh skid marks from two other bouts in the month of January. WTF Spencer, tossed two your back in three straight bouts? 1 is an anomaly. 2 an opportunity for growth. 3 a pattern. Something ain't right with that picture. Could Spencer be vulnerable?

As a PSU fan, I think Spencer waltzes to #4 and the Hodge. As an Iowa fan, that journey given the these shart-stain filled episodes, will create unease until he gets past Glory. A kid who has to be watching, knowing that Spencer can absolutely be taken down, and put to his back.

So in summary. As an Iowa fan there isn't a whole heck of a lot to be excited about it. Even their 'sure thing' has some very strange kinks in the armor.

Then again we return to expectations. This Iowa squad is super solid top to bottom, talented, and is in the cat bird seat to runnerup this year. If one focuses on realistic expectations the Hawks will deliver.
Kennedy is only a year older than Facundo. And a first time starter. I would put them in the same category. Other than that, pretty accurate.

What is interesting is their underwear still bears fresh skid marks from two other bouts in the month of January. WTF Spencer, tossed two your back in three straight bouts? 1 is an anomaly. 2 an opportunity for growth. 3 a pattern. Something ain't right with that picture. Could Spencer be vulnerable?

Is @johnstownsteel your prose mentor? That backhanded coda is pure genius!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Rolls? I don't know...I was slightly scared to be honest with you.
I definitely would have been too, had RBY not gotten the waning seconds stick of Teske. My confidence and comfort never wavered after that, so thank you, Roman. Maybe the “rolls” comes from winning the last 4 matches as was expected.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Spencer has been vulnerable to that cradle but lets be honest he’ll have little competition this yr. Teske went off the brands game plan and actually tried to wrestle, bartlett needs to freaking shoot and has some issues on bottom, ditto SVN but both can be there in March i believe. Haines is good but young, can go deep or have freshman hiccups. Facundo needs to trust his offense, kennedy will be that same guy never see him improving. Brands is who he is not likely to ever get aa and lucky to get to round of 12. Carter needs to do better in that match. Wouldnt have mattered id assad was there. Kerk isnt losing to cass if he wrestles smart like last nite. Figured it would be a tight match but psu winning

Reactions: danoftw

What is interesting is their underwear still bears fresh skid marks from two other bouts in the month of January. WTF Spencer, tossed to your back in three straight bouts? 1 is an anomaly. 2 an opportunity for growth. 3 a pattern. Something ain't right with that picture. Could Spencer be vulnerable?

Then again we return to expectations. This Iowa squad is super solid top to bottom, talented, and is in the cat bird seat to runnerup this year. If one focuses on realistic expectations the Hawks

just think if Spencer had gone to PSU he would have 4 team titles to go with his 4 ind titles,man its gotta crush iowa fans that the greatest wrestler ever for them is from PA!LOL

Reactions: nitlion6
Let's face it gang, the biggest upset of the night was against our own expectations.

When you look back at what Cael has done recently with blue chip recruits in their true or RS Freshman year, this group of young guns doesn't quite look like Nolf, Nickal, Cenzo, Mark, Aaron, Carter... Maybe Levi is sniffing a little of this air. Could it be they more resemble first years more down to earth like Zain, Nick or RBY? Oh wait, the later list turned out pretty frigging good now didn't they?

Looking over both lists, how many undefeated Freshman have we had? Ooops. I am getting the sense that, what blue chippers in this program do in Nov-Feb, doesn't seem to translate into what happens in March. Uh oh!

Trust the process.
Brilliantly said. I was confident the good guys would win, but also recognized that as odd as it is to say- this team is pretty damn young- sure these guys have all been in big matches, but lots of freshman in a new experience for sure... trust the process indeed...

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
How frigging awesome was that Vespa TD and cradle? You know for a fact that of thousands of Iowan's collectively shit themselves for a few seconds there.

"He very likely can pin Steen for his 7th in a row-but he's not invulnerable."

You heard it here, first.

There's three more duals for Iowa. I don't see McKee pulling off the upset, nor Medley or Mastro.

He could meet his Rulon Gardner in the tournaments. though.

PSU “survived a scare” to beat Wiscy 28-11.
PSU “rolls over” Iowa 23-14.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT