ADVERTISEMENT

Recent NCAA team titles in "lesser" sports.

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
We have already posted Penn State's second place finish in coed fencing behind winner Columbia/Barnard. Colorado won skiing, and West Virginia rifle. What other such sports are sponsored by the NCAA? I can think of bowling and water polo.

Water polo has been eliminated by the NCAA - too many horses drowned. I went to see a match once and it was quite sad. ;-)

Womens' rowing

At least I think so. Many schools use it for Title IX compliance.

I guess it depends on how you define "lesser". Other than football and basketball, I know of championships in ice hockey, wrestling, baseball, softball, gymnastics, track & field, soccer, field hockey, golf, tennis, lacrosse, cross country, and rowing.
I probably missed a few.

Equestrian an "emerging sport"

The National Collegiate Equestrian Association, formerly known as Varsity Equestrian, was established to advance the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) sport of women's equestrian from emerging to championship status. ... Currently 23 colleges and universities offer equestrian as an NCAA emerging sport with more being added each year.

Originally posted by Class of 67:
We have already posted Penn State's second place finish in coed fencing behind winner Columbia/Barnard. Colorado won skiing, and West Virginia rifle. What other such sports are sponsored by the NCAA? I can think of bowling and water polo.
The NCAA recently approved Sand Volleyball as an official NCAA championship sport.

google Learfield trophy and it will break it all down, season by season

look at the top for current standings and click on it and select the year you want

there were 36 sponsored events.

if sand VB has been added, that would make 37

PSU competes in 30 of the 36

Don't compete in rifle, bowling, rowing, skiing, water polo and 1 other that escapes me.

Also, we were second in fencing as a combined squad of both men and women. Despite the fact there are 2 teams, there is only one championship.

To be more precise, we do not compete in the following:

Women water polo
Men water polo
Women bowling
Women rowing
Rifle
Skiing

I am pretty sure that rifle and skiing are like fencing in that they are combined events with a combination of the women and men score establishing the winner.

There's a guy on Northwestern's Rivals Board whose handle includes a statement referencing that NU won the NCAA "tug of war" (i.e., rope pulling) championship in, like, 1896. I posted a question about it and he replied that you gotta take your NCAA titles where you can find 'em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT