ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

DrJC

May 29, 2001
I think the games tonight show the importance of recruiting, particularly at OL. If you have a great OL, you can run and pass successfully. Michigan has a great OL, and once again it showed. If we can finally put together a top notch OL, we have the talent waiting to run and pass with great success. I do think we also need to recruit a really good wide receiver. We did not throw long downfield as we have in the pst with Dotson and others. If we do not lose any talent to the damned portal, we should have a really competitive team next year.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think the games tonight show the importance of recruiting, particularly at OL. If you have a great OL, you can run and pass successfully. Michigan has a great OL, and once again it showed. If we can finally put together a top notch OL, we have the talent waiting to run and pass with great success. I do think we also need to recruit a really good wide receiver. We did not throw long downfield as we have in the pst with Dotson and others. If we do not lose any talent to the damned portal, we should have a really competitive team next year.
All true except we had wide receivers behind the secondary over and over and our QB severely over shot them. I think the remedy for that is already on the team.

Reactions: bytir and bison13
I still think a lot if it is coaching. When you watch Georgia and Michigan, especially Georgia, you know if things aren't going right Smart is going to fix it midgame. With Penn State you don't feel that way or at least I don't.

Even when Georgia struggled this year against lesser opponents you knew they'd find a way to win. I'm starting to feel that way with Franklin after this season. Michigan State being the prime example of a game that he would have lost not long ago but now we need to see him take that to the next level.

I'm very curious to see how we adapt our offense around Allar. I'd love to mirror Georgia and how they use their elite TEs.

I still think a lot if it is coaching. When you watch Georgia and Michigan, especially Georgia, you know if things aren't going right Smart is going to fix it midgame. With Penn State you don't feel that way or at least I don't.

Even when Georgia struggled this year against lesser opponents you knew they'd find a way to win. I'm starting to feel that way with Franklin after this season. Michigan State being the prime example of a game that he would have lost not long ago but now we need to see him take that to the next level.

I'm very curious to see how we adapt our offense around Allar. I'd love to mirror Georgia and how they use their elite TEs.

Think alot of Georgia's success on offense depends on Bennett's accuracy. I was extremely impressed with the zip and placement of his throws, especially on intermediate routes. If he was 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, think he'd definitely go in the first round. As it is, I think he still might go in the first.

Think alot of Georgia's success on offense depends on Bennett's accuracy. I was extremely impressed with the zip and placement of his throws, especially on intermediate routes. If he was 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, think he'd definitely go in the first round. As it is, I think he still might go in the first.
Most sites have him between the 12th and 30th rated QB in the draft class so I can't see him going in the first but I agree with your assessment 100%. I think he'll make a team even as a UDFA.

The OL is the one position group that is more about development in CF
Yes indeedy! people fixate on the so-called ‘skill positions’ while ignoring just how critical the Oline is. To be expected since the the O line rarely gets attention unless they commit a penalty or give up a sack. But all those super star QBs and RBs wouldn’t be squat without a good O line. And Penn State is a great example of that. We have had good running backs the several,years but they got hit in the backfield, beat up, and gun shy by game four. Even todays backs of Singleton and Allen would struggle with the line of two years ago.

While not considered a skill position, it does almost always take a couple years to develop a quality O lineman. Part of that is just strength and power. A 22 yr old is just naturally stronger than one of 18. But learning technique is huge. Instead of just power and bulk, O line play takes tremendous skill. When a 290 pounder that is quick as a cat the tackle needs great footwork, balance, reflexes to adjust to the repertoire of pass rushes that change in half a second. The use of hands, legs, the head, shoulders, arms all to get leverage or restrict your opponent’s movements. The hand battles are worthy of martial arts experts and, in fact, many linemen work with MMA experts to improve their hand skills.

If I were head coach, I would scour the planet to have the best O line in the game. Concentrate on that first and then get those future super stars. I believe that is how Alabama and Ohio State have always down it. ND, Mich, USC also. Look at how many QBs from these teams were up for Heisman but never blossomed in the pros.

The bottom line…..it’s the O line.

Yes indeedy! people fixate on the so-called ‘skill positions’ while ignoring just how critical the Oline is. To be expected since the the O line rarely gets attention unless they commit a penalty or give up a sack. But all those super star QBs and RBs wouldn’t be squat without a good O line. And Penn State is a great example of that. We have had good running backs the several,years but they got hit in the backfield, beat up, and gun shy by game four. Even todays backs of Singleton and Allen would struggle with the line of two years ago.

While not considered a skill position, it does almost always take a couple years to develop a quality O lineman. Part of that is just strength and power. A 22 yr old is just naturally stronger than one of 18. But learning technique is huge. Instead of just power and bulk, O line play takes tremendous skill. When a 290 pounder that is quick as a cat the tackle needs great footwork, balance, reflexes to adjust to the repertoire of pass rushes that change in half a second. The use of hands, legs, the head, shoulders, arms all to get leverage or restrict your opponent’s movements. The hand battles are worthy of martial arts experts and, in fact, many linemen work with MMA experts to improve their hand skills.

If I were head coach, I would scour the planet to have the best O line in the game. Concentrate on that first and then get those future super stars. I believe that is how Alabama and Ohio State have always down it. ND, Mich, USC also. Look at how many QBs from these teams were up for Heisman but never blossomed in the pros.

The bottom line…..it’s the O line.
The OL was lousy the last few years but before Singleton and Allen got here, none of the RBs had any burst. I can’t think of a single play in 2021 where a PSU RB burst through even a small crease in the line which was something I saw routinely every week with other RBs. They all looked like they were running in mud. I also think the line made progress this year and I think a large part of that is that we are starting to see Traut’s players play.

Reactions: Online Persona
Yep, we need more WR talent.

I believe PSU has recruited OL as well as UM recently, and the improvement in the PSU OL especially late this season has significantly closed the OL performance gap with UM and oh-high-ya but still some work to do.

Not sure about your negative comment regarding the transfer portal, as PSU has been a net positive from the portal. Other than the QB's I can't remember a player that was much of a loss to the team when they transferred. And the list of players that have transferred in the recent portal era is a long one. Those transfers have opened up scholarships so that PSU could bring in more 4 star freshmen as well as a lower number of incoming transfers a couple of whom have made big positive impacts to the team. Ebiketie, Tinsley, Nourzad,.....

ADVERTISEMENT