ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Gabe Beyer

Wow...I have no clue where they are getting all there money. That seems almost impossible....

Guessing that Beyer is not getting huge scholarship dollars. Also, it seems he will be behind Tanner Hall for a couple seasons, even if Beyer redshirts a year.

The incredible class ASU brought in last year has since shown some chinks in the armour. They'll be contender going forward, but they certainly won't be the steamroller some thought they'd be, at least night right away.

Reactions: diggerpup
Kind of baffling.

ASU has Tanner Hall, who just completed his freshman year. I doubt that Beyer is besting Sasquatch, and even if Beyer redshirts, he'll be sitting for 2 years behind Hall.

Other heavies on ASU's roster are:

1. Chance Eskam (Carlsbad, CA), who is completing his Fresh season. He finished 6th and 3rd at 285 in CA in high school
2. Austyn Harris (Broomfield, CO), who is completing his RS Fresh season. He finished 2nd and 6th at 285 in CO in high school
3. Kirk Wilson (Baton Rouge, LA), who is completing his Fresh season. He finished 1st, 2nd, and 5th at 285 in LA in high school

If ASU out-of-state tuition was really low, I could see how a small scholarship would still result in a lot more funds for Beyer (which is what he reportedly wanted when he decommitted from PSU). However, ASU's out-of-state tuition and room & board is around $34,900.

Perhaps in time this will make more sense, but at this point I remain somewhat baffled by this verbal.

But hey, congrats to Gabe Beyer. I thought he was an interesting prospect when he verballed to PSU in October. I wish him luck in college.

Kind of baffling.

ASU has Tanner Hall, who just completed his freshman year. I doubt that Beyer is besting Sasquatch, and even if Beyer redshirts, he'll be sitting for 2 years behind Hall.

Other heavies on ASU's roster are:

1. Chance Eskam (Carlsbad, CA), who is completing his Fresh season. He finished 6th and 3rd at 285 in CA in high school
2. Austyn Harris (Broomfield, CO), who is completing his RS Fresh season. He finished 2nd and 6th at 285 in CO in high school
3. Kirk Wilson (Baton Rouge, LA), who is completing his Fresh season. He finished 1st, 2nd, and 5th at 285 in LA in high school

If ASU out-of-state tuition was really low, I could see how a small scholarship would still result in a lot more funds for Beyer (which is what he reportedly wanted when he decommitted from PSU). However, ASU's out-of-state tuition and room & board is around $34,900.

Perhaps in time this will make more sense, but at this point I remain somewhat baffled by this verbal.

But hey, congrats to Gabe Beyer. I thought he was an interesting prospect when he verballed to PSU in October. I wish him luck in college.
IIRC his 3 choices were Penn State, Iowa, and Sparky.

At PSU, he's sitting behind Nevills, and then again behind Nevills (or possibly Steveson?).

At Iowa, he's sitting behind Stoll and then Bradley.

In Tempe, he could be starting in 3 years -- unless of course Zeke brings in someone else in a couple years.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could start sooner and get a better offer at some other school ... but that's his call.

The incredible class ASU brought in last year has since shown some chinks in the armour. They'll be contender going forward, but they certainly won't be the steamroller some thought they'd be, at least night right away.

What chinks has the class shown?

Hall is the only one in the class that wrestled this year.

Anthony Valencia, Zahid Valencia, Lance Benick, Josh Shields, and Josh Maruca were the headliners of the class, and they still have 4 years of eligibility.

Nikko Villarreal, Connor Small, Jake Deutschlander, Chance Eskam, Andy Gandara, Ted Rico, Tyler Sage, and Kirk Wilson were also part of the class. I don't think they used up any of their eligibility this year.

More than 1/3 of their roster is made of up guys that were part of last year's class, and since all but Hall redshirted, it seems premature to evaluate last year's ASU class based on how ASU did this season.

What chinks has the class shown?

Hall is the only one in the class that wrestled this year.

Anthony Valencia, Zahid Valencia, Lance Benick, Josh Shields, and Josh Maruca were the headliners of the class, and they still have 4 years of eligibility.

Nikko Villarreal, Connor Small, Jake Deutschlander, Chance Eskam, Andy Gandara, Ted Rico, Tyler Sage, and Kirk Wilson were also part of the class. I don't think they used up any of their eligibility this year.

More than 1/3 of their roster is made of up guys that were part of last year's class, and since all but Hall redshirted, it seems premature to evaluate last year's ASU class based on how ASU did this season.
Zahid was great, Shields had some strange losses and had a solid if not spectacular RS season. Maruca the same as Shields and Benick really struggled. Obviously all guys still have great upside but outside of the Valencia's none of the guys look like locks to be AAs or on the cusp from day one the way some were projecting.

When these guys go out to Arizona wrestling no longer becomes the priority for many of them....That is a fact !
As a rule I usually don't worry about the opponents. Cael has shown he can take care of his house which is the key issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT