ADVERTISEMENT

Repressed memory theory

I think Jeff Bezos molested me years ago. I don't remember it, and I'm sure he doesn't. But that's just because we repressed the memories. Where is my check?
Remind me, what are we talking about again?

Please go easy on commentaries about repressed memories. I am not familiar with this particular case and what is the issue that is so contentious. I am formally trained as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist, training that requires at least 5-6 years of work beyond your Ph.D. or MD degree. Repression is one of the cornerstones of psychoanalytic treatment. I have worked with many patients who have repressed various types of very painful trauma, not just sexual abuse. Repession is one of the defenses of the mind. Repressed material can reemerge in many ways - dreams, parapraxes, art, psychoanalysis, etc., etc. Those who have dismissed the notion of repression of the memory of trauma are not psychoanalysts, or they would know better. Again, I do not know the particular situation being referred , so my comments are of a general nature.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Male on male plumbing bumping and females doing the same, that's normal too.

🙄

Please go easy on commentaries about repressed memories. I am not familiar with this particular case and what is the issue that is so contentious. I am formally trained as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist, training that requires at least 5-6 years of work beyond your Ph.D. or MD degree. Repression is one of the cornerstones of psychoanalytic treatment. I have worked with many patients who have repressed various types of very painful trauma, not just sexual abuse. Repession is one of the defenses of the mind. Repressed material can reemerge in many ways - dreams, parapraxes, art, psychoanalysis, etc., etc. Those who have dismissed the notion of repression of the memory of trauma are not psychoanalysts, or they would know better. Again, I do not know the particular situation being referred , so my comments are of a general nature.
thank you for the post. I'll give you my concerns and look forward to your reply.

In the Sandusky scandal, several adults came forward to claim that they discovered they were abused by him based on repression therapy. They didn't file a complaint until the Sandusky events became known (and PSU was going to pay out). The counterargument is that repression therapy may be good for counseling but isn't appropriate for legal considerations. Why? Repression therapy, especially when combined with a monetary reward, can lead to conclusions that are incorrect. The repression therapy can actually lead to patients actually imagining events and not just them being re-remembered.

thank you for the post. I'll give you my concerns and look forward to your reply.

In the Sandusky scandal, several adults came forward to claim that they discovered they were abused by him based on repression therapy. They didn't file a complaint until the Sandusky events became known (and PSU was going to pay out). The counterargument is that repression therapy may be good for counseling but isn't appropriate for legal considerations. Why? Repression therapy, especially when combined with a monetary reward, can lead to conclusions that are incorrect. The repression therapy can actually lead to patients actually imagining events and not just them being re-remembered.
Well done. The vulnerable are subject to persuasion... Imagine that.

As a practicing psychoanalytic therapist and having taught Freud, Ego Psychology and Object Relations Theory at Analytic institutes, I have never heard of Repression Therapy, nor do I like the "smell" of it. Repression of traumatic events is common. A therapist does not try to forcibly undo repression as that can be traumatic as well. Rather you wait until the patient begins to realize that some incidents in the past have been relegated to the unconscious mind but are still influencing conscious thinking, perception and behavior. Then you help them fully understand the events and work through the trauma with them. However, it is true that certain events in an individual's life can reawaken old repressed traumas and break through the veil of repression. However, if a therapist believes they have a method for sort of forcefully doing this, I would be suspect.

As a practicing psychoanalytic therapist and having taught Freud, Ego Psychology and Object Relations Theory at Analytic institutes, I have never heard of Repression Therapy, nor do I like the "smell" of it. Repression of traumatic events is common. A therapist does not try to forcibly undo repression as that can be traumatic as well. Rather you wait until the patient begins to realize that some incidents in the past have been relegated to the unconscious mind but are still influencing conscious thinking, perception and behavior. Then you help them fully understand the events and work through the trauma with them. However, it is true that certain events in an individual's life can reawaken old repressed traumas and break through the veil of repression. However, if a therapist believes they have a method for sort of forcefully doing this, I would be suspect.
Thank you. I've got a family member who is "in the business". To me, psychoanalytical therapy is a directional art. In other words, it is useful and meaningful but is often wrong. But it is not factual from case to case. As such, being considered as "evidence" is suspect, at best.

Can you please cite some peer reviewed papers that support what you say here?

From what I've read, there are older papers that suggest repressed memories are real, but more recent research has changed the conclusions.

Always happy to learn, so if you have some recent papers "in favor of" repressed memories (especially as it relates to recovering them via therapy), I'd be interested to read them.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Complete respect to you and your profession. I’m curious if you know of any statistics on the occurrence or repression in patients. It seems to me that A LOT of his victims experienced it.

Sure. Whatever you say.

Can you please cite some peer reviewed papers that support what you say here?

From what I've read, there are older papers that suggest repressed memories are real, but more recent research has changed the conclusions.

Always happy to learn, so if you have some recent papers "in favor of" repressed memories (especially as it relates to recovering them via therapy), I'd be interested to read them.
Yeah that would be good.

Reactions: psu1969a
You have a lot of catching up to do

Reactions: joeaubie21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT