ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Reviving Friday Jukebox

Here is a big hit from a (basically) One Hit Wonder from the 1970s. I like this song. And it has a pretty great marimba solo. Notice how the singer laughs a bit at the end of each verse. There was an issue with the equipment that made it sound bad in the headphones of the singer so the singer laughed out of frustration at how bad it sounded in his headphones. Then they submitted the song to the record company. And the record company said, we like that laugh, go back and dub one in on the 2nd and 3rd verses too.

Here is a big hit from a (basically) One Hit Wonder from the 1970s. I like this song. And it has a pretty great marimba solo. Notice how the singer laughs a bit at the end of each verse. There was an issue with the equipment that made it sound bad in the headphones of the singer so the singer laughed out of frustration at how bad it sounded in his headphones. Then they submitted the song to the record company. And the record company said, we like that laugh, go back and dub one in on the 2nd and 3rd verses too.

One of my all time favorites from the 70's, it was the debut single by Starbuck. Although they did have a couple of other hits bubble into the Top 40, nothing every equaled this. Love that marimba solo.

I just played it, put me in a 70's vibe, so I followed it with this:

One of my all time favorites from the 70's, it was the debut single by Starbuck. Although they did have a couple of other hits bubble into the Top 40, nothing every equaled this. Love that marimba solo.

I just played it, put me in a 70's vibe, so I followed it with this:

When I think of the Doobies and the 70s, I think of this song.

on the other hand of this was your one and only big hit your were kind of stuck playing it for eternity

I read once that Wipeout was actually the B-side to the single but it got popular instead of the A-side.

Also your comment reminds me of a song that is about exactly that, namely a musician is a one hit wonder and has to play it for the rest of his life even though he doesn't want to. The music is by Ben Folds and the lyrics are by Nick Hornby. Hornby is a short story writer and he and Ben Folds did an album together, with Hornby doing the lyrics.

The story as told by the lyrics is basically, a young musician falls in love with a woman named Belinda and writes a great song about her and it hits big and the success goes to his head and he dumps her because he thinks it's
his talent that caused the hit, instead of his love for Belinda that inspired him to write something so good. So he then has to spend the rest of his career singing this song in concert even though it reminds him of how he screwed up by dumping Belinda. The song ends at 4:32 and then there's a bit of completely different music a minute or so later in one of those cutesy thing, so you can skip that without missing anything.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT