ADVERTISEMENT

Right or wrong?

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
Penn State uses the regular season primarily to collect data for the postseason. They could put up better results if they were willing to go all out but they play the long game and don’t tip their hand until the big dance.

I know they always try to win and that they pay attention to seeding implications but it amazes me how much better they wrestle in March and particularly at Nationals. It really became obvious two years ago after Nick Lee and Starocci were handled at Big Tens only to come back and avenge those losses. They both won their titles without being in real trouble against guys that hammered them two weeks earlier. Also, Cael’s comments about 141, 149 and 165 after Iowa kind of say the same thing. Wrestling Iowa wasn’t about the W it was about seeing how guys can be beat. I also thought Starocci purposefully held back a bit and that Books did the same thing with Romero.

I think peaking is a skill that few have mastered in any sport as well as the PSU wrestling coaching staff.

On top of that, PSU wrestlers tend to cut less weight, which helps immensely come Saturday at NCAAs.

The coaches also appear to be master technicians able to exploit others’ shortcomings. Shortcomings that others don’t even see.

Then add it in their emphasis on the mental side of things. How many times have you heard PSU wrestlers credit Bonnie and speak about being present?

Finally, they really do focus on NCAAs, understanding you can’t peak twice in 2-3 weeks or hold peak performance for that long. Lots of runner-up finishes at Big Tens followed by NCAA championships. (That’s a switch they seemed to have made after the 1st four-peat.)

Reactions: Antaeus
I think peaking is a skill that few have mastered in any sport as well as the PSU wrestling coaching staff.

On top of that, PSU wrestlers tend to cut less weight, which helps immensely come Saturday at NCAAs.

The coaches also appear to be master technicians able to exploit others’ shortcomings. Shortcomings that others don’t even see.

Then add it in their emphasis on the mental side of things. How many times have you heard PSU wrestlers credit Bonnie and speak about being present?

Finally, they really do focus on NCAAs, understanding you can’t peak twice in 2-3 weeks or hold peak performance for that long. Lots of runner-up finishes at Big Tens followed by NCAA championships. (That’s a switch they seemed to have made after the 1st four-peat.)
Cael is playing in a different league. His control of young men’s dreams and emotions. His open style of communication and honesty with them. His relationships with their families/parents. His technical solutions on the mat. Being able to retain and keep his long time assistants in a great leadership team.. His almost maniacal approach to winning the most important competitions (National Championship) and building Champions (for life) all speak for themselves. He may be one of the top coaches, teachers, mentors, humans we have in sports today. We are very very lucky.

Cael is playing in a different league. His control of young men’s dreams and emotions. His open style of communication and honesty with them. His relationships with their families/parents. His technical solutions on the mat. Being able to retain and keep his long time assistants in a great leadership team.. His almost maniacal approach to winning the most important competitions (National Championship) and building Champions (for life) all speak for themselves. He may be one of the top coaches, teachers, mentors, humans we have in sports today. We are very very lucky.
'may'?

'is'!

Last edited:
Reactions: AgSurfer
I think you're on to something. Teams will often game-plan for our dual while Cael just sends the kids out to wrestle ... dare I say, have fun.

Ultimately, he learns a lot about how teams intend to wrestle us and adjusts accordingly.

Cael's goal is to help his youngsters pass kids on their way to the top. No coach has a hit rate even close.

Reactions: RB-Old and nitlion6
I think you're on to something. Teams will often game-plan for our dual while Cael just sends the kids out to wrestle ... dare I say, have fun.

Ultimately, he learns a lot about how teams intend to wrestle us and adjusts accordingly.

Cael's goal is to help his youngsters pass kids on their way to the top. No coach has a hit rate even close.
Perfectly exemplified when RBY came out and wrestled DeSanto with one hand behind his back.

Reactions: RB-Old
ADVERTISEMENT