ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Dave Henderson - former Red Sox OF

I believe Hendu also hit a 2R HR in the top of the 10th in Game 6 of the WS vs. the Mets, which would've ended the curse, but for Buckner and Mac making boneheaded decisions.

I was really just starting to get into MLB when DHenderson signed with Oakland. Canseco and McGwire were the big draws there but I really enjoyed DHenderson. He looked like he always had fun playing baseball, his gap toothed grin will always be something I remember. I didn't know he was doing TV for Seattle recently or I'd have made an effort to see and hear him. I'll also remember him for holding his hands low, which produced tomahawk type HRs , and him getting into a deep crouch and waving his arms- calling off the other OFers to catch high pop ups. Very sorry to hear of this.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Was the first pick of the expansion Seattle Mariners and then bounced around a bit until landed in Oakland. Hit 2R/2 Out HR in game 5 of ALCS when Angles were one pitch away from WS.

57... too young
His nick name if I recall was hendo sorry to hear about this was a solid a player

Reactions: 91Joe95
I believe Hendu also hit a 2R HR in the top of the 10th in Game 6 of the WS vs. the Mets, which would've ended the curse, but for Buckner and Mac making boneheaded decisions.

Close --- he led off the 10th Inning with a second-pitch solo HR against Rick Aguilera. Boston later added another run.

But that Henderson HR is definitely forgotten --- if Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley were able to pitch halfway decently, that Henderson HR would live in Boston sports lore, even more so than the HR against the Angels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT