ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Micheal Lang, one of the organizers of Woodstock dead at age 77

Hillary Clinton brought home the bacon for New York when she was a senator and got a large museum built at Woodstock. Went there last fall as my dad grew up about 30 minutes away in the Catskills so we took a long weekend and did some sightseeing and stopped by Woodstock for an afternoon. Nice place to visit, had some interesting things to look at and read and then there was about a 20 minute movie that you saw. The actually hill and grounds are right next to the museum and is really just a hill, so nothing to really look at in that sense.

Reactions: step.eng69
just a place where druggies met up and got dirty. we used to call these people "bums". A massive lack of planning, poor crowd control, today there would be a thousand lawsuits filed. Two people died.

For the life of me, I have no idea why we glorify a bunch of stinky losers using drugs en masse in a rainstorm. I'd would much rather glorify the tired housewife who takes care of her parents and stays up late, exhausted, to help their kids with their homework and maybe sneak a chardonnay before sacking out.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kid Twist
just a place where druggies met up and got dirty. we used to call these people "bums". A massive lack of planning, poor crowd control, today there would be a thousand lawsuits filed. Two people died.

For the life of me, I have no idea why we glorify a bunch of stinky losers using drugs en masse in a rainstorm. I'd would much rather glorify the tired housewife who takes care of her parents and stays up late, exhausted, to help their kids with their homework and maybe sneak a chardonnay before sacking out.
Are the two groups automatically mutually exclusive? Maybe some women who went to Woodstock serve their families and drink wine? Thanksgiving eve we ended up at a dinner party in Connecticut with a couple who performed at Woodstock with Bert Sommer. Their really bright daughter who graduated from a really good high school and great college was there too. Both mom and daughter drank wine. Where do they fit in the picture? I was 4 when Woodstock happened and my ex Marine dad was no fan. My ex Nun mom probably would've gone if she could have. Different strokes for different folks. Society back then was very divided on superficial things and politics. We are there again in today's America.

Are the two groups automatically mutually exclusive? Maybe some women who went to Woodstock serve their families and drink wine? Thanksgiving eve we ended up at a dinner party in Connecticut with a couple who performed at Woodstock with Bert Sommer. Their really bright daughter who graduated from a really good high school and great college was there too. Both mom and daughter drank wine. Where do they fit in the picture? I was 4 when Woodstock happened and my ex Marine dad was no fan. My ex Nun mom probably would've gone if she could have. Different strokes for different folks. Society back then was very divided on superficial things and politics. We are there again in today's America.
They are all drug addicts. They are just hiding it.
Hippy stinky drug addicted buns. Every single one of them. Just like that Beatle Lennon

We are divided. Yes Sir.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
These comments are very uncharacteristic for you.
It is a joke...don't tell anyone OK. But I do have to say that I just don't understand the glorification of an event where people got high and stinky while we continue to never recognize the incredible commitment and efforts of parents on a day in and out basis. Was it such an achievement to get drunk or high and sit for a few days listening to music?

Reactions: Fac
What an historic event. Spawned careers, super groups, albums, movies, attempts to copy it, and countless children!

I saw an interesting documentary on Netflix about the history of such large concert events, both in the US and Europe, what they meant to different people, and some government's response...England actually used the police to what amounted to harrassment in my opinion, until a private land owner allowed his property to be used....I forget its name, but it one of the longest running outdoor concert events, well run, and not a lot of issues...I just believe music can be such a positive part of our lives, and I don't necessarily connect it to drugs, laziness, or what some others may consider vices or bad behavior....and there is something about a live, one of a kind performance.

Woodstock was historic not just for its size or the high talent level of its performances. To understand it you need some context. The country had just been through the turbulent 60s, a period of massive social unrest. Started off with great hope of a new generation led by a young, dynamic President Kennedy.....who was shot down by an assassin. Several other major leaders were also assassinated like Robert Kennedy, Malcom X, MLK, and more.....not only killing those men but also that optimistic outlook.

Instead we had a decade of race riots so bad that several cities had tanks in the streets to try to restore some semblance of order. The VN War raged on and there were massive demonstrations against it. Anger was so high that President Johnson decided to not run for re-election. We had the Bay of Pigs debacle and the Cuban missile crisis, the Cold War threatened to go full hot at any time and nuclear annihilation was a distinct possibility. Add in several other societal upheavals like the birth of the women’s rights movement, the Pill, the rise of environmentalism, the widespread use of drugs, the commune revolt against capitalism. Looked like another civil war or just a full collapse was on its way. Even the Monterey Jazz Festival was racked with violence.

Then came the summer of 69. A so-called Summer of Love. The dawning of the Age of Aquarious, Hair the musical.

And Woodstock.

It was billed as a time of good music and people coming together. That people could gather in peace. A chance to relax and put aside a decade of angst if only for a weekend. And somehow they pulled it off. A half million people partied for days with very little violence.

Did it change the world? The country? Perhaps in some small way. The 70s had some rough times of their own but not as bad as the 60s. Did Woodstock help in any way? Perhaps. But we will never know just how much influence it had on society. But knowing the context of it all helps understand why it is held in such high esteem.

And don’t mind Obli. He is just a young whipper snapper that just wouldn’t understand .....

Last edited:
Woodstock was historic not just for its size or the high talent level of its performances. To understand it you need some context. The country had just been through the turbulent 60s, a period of massive social unrest. Started off with great hope of a new generation led by a young, dynamic President Kennedy.....who was shot down by an assassin. Several other major leaders were also assassinated like Robert Kennedy, Malcom X, MLK, and more.....not only killing those men but also that optimistic outlook.

Instead we had a decade of race riots so bad that several cities had tanks in the streets to try to restore some semblance of order. The VN War raged on and their were massive demonstrations against it. Anger was so high that President Johnson decided to not run for re-election. We had the Bay of Pogs debacle and the Cuban missile crisis, the Cold War threatened to go full hot at any time and nuclear annihilation was a distinct possibility. Add in several other societal upheavals like the birth of the women’s rights movement, the Pill, the rise of environmentalism, the widespread use of drugs, the commune revolt against capitalism. Looked like another civil war or just a full collapse was on its way. Even the Monterey Jazz Festival was racked with violence.

Then came the summer of 69. A so-called Summer of Love. The dawning of the Age of Aquarious, Hair the musical.

And Woodstock.

It was billed as a time of good music and people coming together. That people could gather in peace. A chance to relax and put aside a decade of angst if only for a weekend. And somehow they pulled it off. A half million people partied for days with very little violence.

Did it change the world? The country? Perhaps in some small way. The 70s had some rough times of their own but not as bad as the 60s. Did Woodstock help in any way? Perhaps. But we will never know just how much influence it had on society. But knowing the context of it all helps understand why it is held in such high esteem.

And don’t mind Obli. He is just a young whipper snapper that just wouldn’t understand .....
I'm not picking on anyone directly-seriously, but sometimes when I come across someone with what I consider a 'bad attitude' (purely subjective), I'll ask if they have a 'drinking problem', and after they (always) say 'I don't drink',...I respond 'Maybe that's your problem'.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Maybe some actuaries can chime in but, over a 3+ day period, how many people die out of any given 250,000+ population? As far as poor crowd control and excessive mind-altering chemical ingestion, you might see that on campus 7 times every fall.

Maybe some actuaries can chime in but, over a 3+ day period, how many people die out of any given 250,000+ population? As far as poor crowd control and excessive mind-altering chemical ingestion, you might see that on campus 7 times every fall.
fair enough...but mind-altered chemicals ingestion isn't (or shouldn't be) celebrated as a wonderful turning point in our nations history let alone the individual. God forbid a PSU kid get caught with some MJ and this board sings a different tune.

I missed it, on a year long vacation, paid for by our govt.

I, and a tremendous number of the young people who attended Woodstock went primarily for the music --- but also to escape opinionated type of people like you for a few days. Bet you don't know that there was no violence at all at Woodstock. This "stinking loser" resents your comments. I'm curious --- did you attend the 1/6/21 "event" in Washington --- I suspect that you would probably have enjoyed being with your kind of phony patriot crowd.

Last edited:
They are all drug addicts. They are just hiding it.
Hippy stinky drug addicted buns. Every single one of them. Just like that Beatle Lennon
You are either a very troubled human being or you are deliberately trying to draw the wrong kind of attention to yourself.

Last edited:

Instead we had a decade of race riots so bad that several cities had tanks in the streets to try to restore some semblance of order. The VN War raged on and there were massive demonstrations against it. Anger was so high that President Johnson decided to not run for re-election. We had the Bay of Pigs debacle and the Cuban missile crisis, the Cold War threatened to go full hot at any time and nuclear annihilation was a distinct possibility. Add in several other societal upheavals like the birth of the women’s rights movement, the Pill, the rise of environmentalism, the widespread use of drugs, the commune revolt against capitalism. Looked like another civil war or just a full collapse was on its way. Even the Monterey Jazz Festival was racked with violence.

And Woodstock.

Great post, but I need to make one correction. I worked at the Monterey Pop (not Jazz) Festival in 1967, and there was no violence whatsoever --- I think you may be thinking of Altamont and the Hell's Angels.

Last edited:
fair enough...but mind-altered chemicals ingestion isn't (or shouldn't be) celebrated as a wonderful turning point in our nations history let alone the individual. God forbid a PSU kid get caught with some MJ and this board sings a different tune.
Everyone at Woodstock was not on mind altering chemicals. I was there, but you, who was not, have the audacity to tell me all about it. Your comments on this subject reveal a lot about you that I never realized from most of your previous posts on this board --- none of it good.

Last edited:
Everyone at Woodstock was not on mind altering chemicals. I was there, but you, who was not, have the audacity to tell me all about it. Your posts on this subject reveal a lot about you that I never realized from most of your previous posts on this board --- none of it good.
Whaaa! Why do you care what I think? Kids got drugged OT and sat through several days of music. Congratulations!!!

I, and a tremendous number of the young people who attended Woodstock went primarily for the music --- but also to escape opinionated type of people like you for a few days. Bet you don't know that there was no violence at all at Woodstock. This "stinking loser" resents your comments. I'm curious --- did you attend the 1/6/21 "event" in Washington --- I suspect that you would probably have enjoyed being with your kind of phony patriot crowd.
LOL. Opinionated. Isn’t that exactly what you are doing now? You don’t know me

I went to the happening. Did no drugs, had no food, & had a great time. I am a veteran. Obliv-whatever. You were not part of any hip scene. Hide behind your keyboard, jerk .Must & probably have friends most of us don't want to know. You got left out. Stale.

Well Gooooooolly! It sure has been a while folks. I decided to check back in with y'all after all these years and low and behold, this was the first topic that grabbed my eye. Soon after I left the ole USMC I happened to stumble across this fun little festival on my way through New York in 1969. Lovely people and they even played the Star Spangled Banner!

Y'all have brought some enjoyable insight on the topic....except for that poster @Obliviax who seems to have a big ole sanctimonious stick shoved up his posterior!

Northwoods, Gomer, I tell my granddaughter there are people you don't want to play with or even know. Apparently Oblong was left out & insults us losers, When we were partying Ob-wan- kenobe was wondering why people ignored him. Da! For The Glory. PSU wrestling 5pm Sunday on the U.

Reactions: Gomer Pyle USMC
Well Gooooooolly! It sure has been a while folks. I decided to check back in with y'all after all these years and low and behold, this was the first topic that grabbed my eye. Soon after I left the ole USMC I happened to stumble across this fun little festival on my way through New York in 1969. Lovely people and they even played the Star Spangled Banner!

Y'all have brought some enjoyable insight on the topic....except for that poster @Obliviax who seems to have a big ole sanctimonious stick shoved up his posterior!
Are you high?

And the deaths were some issue with insulin and a sleeping kid in a field who got ran over by a tractor. It’s amazing what they pulled off by the seat of their pants.

I’ve visited the museum and site. It’s pretty cool. When you stand where the stage was, you really see what a perfect amphitheater that area of Yasgur’s farm was. Michael Lang saw it and knew immediately that it was perfect

And Woodstock.

"Whipper snapper". Haven't heard that term in a long, long time. I think I'll start using it regularly. Thanks Spin.

I sensed this thread going to a place that had me thinking of a certain 'MCE' situation from a few years back....just don't want it to got there, or even more in that direction....a few bad losses, and this board will become more like a graffiti rather than a sports board.

Reactions: Fac
What an historic event. Spawned careers, super groups, albums, movies, attempts to copy it, and countless children!

You ever had a hard job in your life?

My wife's boss went to Woodstock. He seems to be doing fine. Although he is in his upper 70's.
I'll have to ask him some questions about the experience.
Hey fellows, Found this interesting......

main-qimg-b136d298883d273b7710e05c84cf59c8-lq.jpg

No violence at all…I guess you don’t consider rape and sexual assault as violence. I have no opinion on Woodstock either way, I was too young at the time to even know about it, but let’s not pretend it was all flowers and unicorns.

Hey fellows, Found this interesting......

main-qimg-b136d298883d273b7710e05c84cf59c8-lq.jpg
H
If that is a list of what groups were paid…..WOW!! The Who played for free. Santana got only $1,500. Four bands got the top of $15,000: Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, The Band, and Blood Sweat and Tears.

Where did you find that step? Stuffed in the pocket of your old jean jacket?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT