ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Robbie Howard Out For The Year

Not shocked by that unfortunate news, I saw him suddenly leave practice favoring his shoulder during the open practice the NLWC held the day prior to the golf outing. He returned with it fully iced. Tough break for Robbie.

Dang, the 125 curse strikes again. 🙄 Howard just can't seem to shake those injuries. I was really looking forward to watching him start things off for us this year.

Go Gary!

Reactions: NittanyChris
Obligatory:

RbY tO oNe TwEnTy FiVe

rumor

I'll just get it out of the way now.

UnevenBaggyAnnelida-max-1mb.gif

To be honest, wasn't expecting points from Robbie this year regardless (after the layoff and clearly being hobbled). But this hurts for way bigger reasons than results, I just want the kid to be able to compete.

Geez Louise, poor kid can't catch a break. Should signal any potential 125 recruits or transfers that PSU isn't a bad bet though. And of course, good luck to Gary Steen, I think he's up to the challenge.
I feel sorry for Howard. He is very talented but he is unable to stay healthy. I believe it is highly questionable whether he will ever see an NCAA tournament. Steen, or any other future recruit / transfer appear to be the future for the program at 125.

Sorry to hear this for you guys. Was looking forward to see Howard compete. Curse of Nicky Ruth continues.

I feel sorry for Howard. He is very talented but he is unable to stay healthy. I believe it is highly questionable whether he will ever see ANOTHER NCAA tournament. Steen, or any other future recruit / transfer appear to be the future for the program at 125.
FIFY, just to give the young man his due

I have no confidence in next year either. Our fortunes may not change for 3 years until Lelledahl. No disrespect to Davis meant.

Last edited:
Sucks for Robbie. Hopefully Gary has added a little muscle so he can be competitive at the weight. Curious if there are any names being whispered as potential transfers?

Feel terrible for Howard. Next man up for now, and hoping that shutting down now allows him to salvage his remaining 3 years.

I hear what everybody is saying about his injury history. At least he's not a HWT with multiple shoulder surgeries ... oh, wait ...

giphy.gif

Completely supportive of Steen when he hits the mat for the Lions, but also hopeful that young Howard gets chances down the road to follow his dreams. Should have four years of eligibility left when all is said and done, correct? Free year, RS, hardship, and 4 years of wrestling.

Completely supportive of Steen when he hits the mat for the Lions, but also hopeful that young Howard gets chances down the road to follow his dreams. Should have four years of eligibility left when all is said and done, correct? Free year, RS, hardship, and 4 years of wrestling.
I'm not sure Robbie wants to be in college for 7 years to just wrestle. My hope is he makes it through one season healthy first.

At this point, it's hard to see how his shoulders would hold up for 4 years even if he wanted to use them all, but more power to you, Robbie. Hopefully, we'll get at least a full season and AA out of him at some point.

I was afraid this would happen. Shoulder injuries stay with you for a long time. Hopefully Robbie can get something done that will provide an adequate fix to keep him going for a few more years but there's also the possibility that he might not be able to continue.

I have seen some things swirling that he has not been granted his release yet. But he is enrolled and taking classes at PSU and training with NLWC.
The wrestling world got involved when suriano wanted a waiver but Betancourt can’t get a release from Ohio State to be a backup at 125 or 133.

Edit: I’m just trying to be funny and reacting to what others wrote. I have no idea what Ohio State did or did not do about any release.

Last edited:
Reactions: backdrft76
Gary was pretty hobbled last year as well but he is going to be solid for us. He'll scrap most duals and prevent bonus, don't see a NQ out of him this year (just based on last year) but very proud he's our 125. I do think he's an upgrade over the Schnupp, Meredith, Shunk types (all due respect to them) Main reason I say that is those 3 were just walk ons going to PSU for academics.

Gary was a solid prospect (2x PA champ, Powerade, Ironman Champ though at a lower weight) He's a Reynolds kid (Cole Matthews, Mason Beckman) so he's a grinder. I always thought he could be a kid who is potentially a point scorer at nationals his later years in college.

The wrestling world got involved when suriano wanted a waiver but Betancourt can’t get a release from Ohio State to be a backup at 125 or 133.
Well there is a Will Betancourt enrolled. Unclear if it is the same kid nonetheless, when Cael says 'no longer with the program' coupled with statements tOSU won't release him, I don't see Cael touching him with a 10' pole unless everything is by the book legit. The words 'no longer with the program' have a negative conotation to my ears. I don't know that this option gets another chance.

Ill stand by Lilelldalh as the future 125 curse breaker, and maybe a 10% crystal ball that Noto sees the gap in our lineup and develops a portal interest down the road in the interim.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Well there is a Will Betancourt enrolled. Unclear if it is the same kid nonetheless, when Cael says 'no longer with the program' coupled with statements tOSU won't release him, I don't see Cael touching him with a 10' pole unless everything is by the book legit. The words 'no longer with the program' have a negative conotation to my ears. I don't know that this option gets another chance.

Ill stand by Lilelldalh as the future 125 curse breaker, and maybe a 10% crystal ball that Noto sees the gap in our lineup and develops a portal interest down the road in the interim.
I was just trying to be funny and reacted to what others wrote. I have no idea what Ohio State did or did not do about any release.

I did visit the young man’s Twitter account and did look like he was calling himself a PSU wrestler, interestingly.

Roster-wise I see the following listed and backing up Steen and RBY;

- Timothy Levine; 18-14 at Brown last year

- Karl Shindledecker; Fr; 3x placer from Chambersburg

- Baylor Shunk who we’ve seen in the blue&white singlet for a few years now

- Marco Vespa, also on the roster last year

Seems a little thinner than usual, IMO. Although having an actual Karl on the roster might be fun for responding to HR posts.

Having watched Gary compete since he was in PJW’s I can tell you one thing for sure: the kid isn’t afraid of competition. He’s also not afraid to go big and try to score. He’ll throw the kitchen sink at his opponent if he has to

ADVERTISEMENT