ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Robbie Howard Out For The Year

I’m devastated for Robbie but excited for Steen. I think a healthy Robbie is a mid level AA and finalist by the time his eligibility is done. Hopefully we will get to see him on the mat and healthy. Really great opportunity for Steen to step up though and show is improvement from year 1. My biggest jump came between my freshman and sophomore seasons and I feel like that’s a common occurrence. Kid obviously is talented so I’m hoping he surprises us all

Gary was pretty hobbled last year as well but he is going to be solid for us. He'll scrap most duals and prevent bonus, don't see a NQ out of him this year (just based on last year) but very proud he's our 125. I do think he's an upgrade over the Schnupp, Meredith, Shunk types (all due respect to them) Main reason I say that is those 3 were just walk ons going to PSU for academics.

Gary was a solid prospect (2x PA champ, Powerade, Ironman Champ though at a lower weight) He's a Reynolds kid (Cole Matthews, Mason Beckman) so he's a grinder. I always thought he could be a kid who is potentially a point scorer at nationals his later years in college.
This

Obligatory:

RbY tO oNe TwEnTy FiVe

rumor

I'll just get it out of the way now.

UnevenBaggyAnnelida-max-1mb.gif
Do you guys have a decent backup at 133?

I’m devastated for Robbie but excited for Steen. I think a healthy Robbie is a mid level AA and finalist by the time his eligibility is done. Hopefully we will get to see him on the mat and healthy. Really great opportunity for Steen to step up though and show is improvement from year 1. My biggest jump came between my freshman and sophomore seasons and I feel like that’s a common occurrence. Kid obviously is talented so I’m hoping he surprises us all
And Steen will at least get a chance to create a resume rather than be a late replacement and have 1 chance to make a case to qualify (I.e. Big 10s)

Oh, jeez. Gotta feel badly for the kid. An aggressive, talented wrestler who, I think, everyone in the wrestling world would like to see go at 100%. Hopefully the surgery (if I read things correctly) goes well and he gets to come back healthy.

Reactions: nitlion6 and mcpat
And Steen will at least get a chance to create a resume rather than be a late replacement and have 1 chance to make a case to qualify (I.e. Big 10s)
I loved this kid even before he committed. Someone mentioned a grinder above and that's what makes him special he has heart and he sounds like he bought Into what Cael is selling. I think we will get a big surprise. This isn't the thread with bold predictions but I'm saying he AAs this year and yes I'm a homer

So bummed for Robbie. 😔

As a parent of two college age kids I’m imagining how difficult and heartbreaking this must be for Robbie’s parents also.

I’ll be rooting hard for Robbie to make a full recovery for next season.

Dangit. To bad for the young man. Injuries stink! Let's go GS.....

The FLO article mentions "Howard suffered an elbow injury in June at the U20 World Team Trials.

Fast forward to 5:30. When I saw it live I thought he hit his head going to the mat, but maybe this was where there may have been an elbow injury. Guessing right elbow. Something definitely happened here as you can see Howard tapping the mat. Kinda like he just knew something happened.

Reactions: NoVaLion2 and 1AA
Having watched Gary compete since he was in PJW’s I can tell you one thing for sure: the kid isn’t afraid of competition. He’s also not afraid to go big and try to score. He’ll throw the kitchen sink at his opponent if he has to
After losing his first match (R64), Howard was indeed fearless the rest of the way coming back to take 3rd. I was so looking forward to him really making some noise this year. Get well Robbie.

Reactions: 1AA
The FLO article mentions "Howard suffered an elbow injury in June at the U20 World Team Trials.

Fast forward to 5:30. When I saw it live I thought he hit his head going to the mat, but maybe this was where there may have been an elbow injury. Guessing right elbow. Something definitely happened here as you can see Howard tapping the mat. Kinda like he just knew something happened.
Howard's injury aside, how did Howard awarded 4 points near the end when Steen ended up on top after the throw? I already know the answer to that (Steen was exposed for a millisecond). I watch it, but still hate freestyle.

Uggghhhhh all you can hope for is that these guys get a year healthy to wrestle and lay it all on the line..

Reactions: jschrantz
2023/24

125 - Noto arigato Mr. Robato, Noto, Noto.
133 - Robbie surgically repaired, again, but this time for good.

I am ok with this.

Yeah I know give it a rest. I am purposely agitating a few. Until this weekend when a few say, hey, wait a minute...

2023/24

125 - Noto arigato Mr. Robato, Noto, Noto.
133 - Robbie surgically repaired, again, but this time for good.

I am ok with this.

Yeah I know give it a rest. I am purposely agitating a few. Until this weekend when a few say, hey, wait a minute...
The Brands, Ryan, John Smith and Zeke are all prayng for this to be Cael's master plan.

Reactions: nitlion6

Are you sure this was the match he was injured? I also watched it mat side and thought he bumped his head. This was the US open in Vegas

Reactions: Str8DBLz
You will have to contact Larry, plus arrange an administrative job at Juniata College.
He’s probably going to be just like Robbie and not make it through the year either.
I expect they’re going to baby him as much as possible, probably a handful of duals with Ayala picking up the slack If he won nationals with no ACLs, then he should be OK on 2 repaired ones. Injury is probably the only thing that could stop him if he returns to form. I hope he gets the chance.

Ayala picking up the slack
Drake Ayala is RSing.

Someone else (or a rotation) will man Iowa's 125 in Spencer's absence.

In his presser, Coach Brands mentioned Aidan Harris won the Iowa intersquad wrestle off and is getting the initial starting nod for the Hawkeyes.

ADVERTISEMENT