ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Cook from Post-Gazette throws spitballs at CJF

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...hers-could-ve-been-worse/stories/201709100180

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The scoreboard said it was a blowout. My eyes told me otherwise. Penn State wasn’t nearly as good as I expected, not in the national championship contender category, certainly not good enough for arrogant James Franklin to make an ass of himself by comparing Penn State’s 33-14 win over Pitt to its 52-0 win against Akron a week earlier. Pitt wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected, certainly much better than it was last week in an embarrassing overtime win against Youngstown State. I actually thought it could have won as a three-touchdown underdog on the road in front of a huge Beaver Stadium crowd of 109,898, which is about what Pitt draws for three Heinz Field games.

I know, that’s hard to say when one team beats the other by 19 points. But that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Franklin didn’t want to hear it, of course. He praised Penn State for playing “a complete game,” making me think he watched a different game. He was in such a fine mood that he took a cheap and unnecessary shot at Pitt by saying, “Last year, for their win, it was like the Super Bowl. But for us, this was just like beating Akron.”

Classy."

Reactions: JoeFi
the press does what the press does. this is how you get clicks and eyeballs. its also why less and less people believe the press. fake news. that isn't what franklin said or meant and they know it. so be it.

I watched the players hug and exchange pleasantries after the game. I didn't see a lot of hatred. I saw competitors that worked hard on the field and congratulated each other.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...hers-could-ve-been-worse/stories/201709100180

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The scoreboard said it was a blowout. My eyes told me otherwise. Penn State wasn’t nearly as good as I expected, not in the national championship contender category, certainly not good enough for arrogant James Franklin to make an ass of himself by comparing Penn State’s 33-14 win over Pitt to its 52-0 win against Akron a week earlier. Pitt wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected, certainly much better than it was last week in an embarrassing overtime win against Youngstown State. I actually thought it could have won as a three-touchdown underdog on the road in front of a huge Beaver Stadium crowd of 109,898, which is about what Pitt draws for three Heinz Field games.

I know, that’s hard to say when one team beats the other by 19 points. But that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Franklin didn’t want to hear it, of course. He praised Penn State for playing “a complete game,” making me think he watched a different game. He was in such a fine mood that he took a cheap and unnecessary shot at Pitt by saying, “Last year, for their win, it was like the Super Bowl. But for us, this was just like beating Akron.”

Classy."

Always ironic when a member of the sports media tries to take others to task for their behavior and class.

Surprising another member of media who twists somoneone words and meaning to fit their agenda.
McSorley had his worst passing game since Michigan of last season and still beat Pitt by 19. That tells me PSU is should be feared not overrated.

Boy I'm sure James will be up nights with worry because Ron Cook doesn't think Franklin's team is championship worthy. I can almost see Franklin yawning as he reads this.

Reactions: Zenophile
Typical Ron "HUGE chip on my shoulder" Cook. Whining is what he does, and does it oh so well. And the comments section after the article made him look tame. He (and those who support him) is a class-A douchebag who has been using the same "cry me a river" schtick since the 1980's. Time to retire Ron...your opinion ain't worth the rag you print it on.

Reactions: pandaczar12
I don't know why people get their panties in a wad over stuff like this. He is writing for the Pittsburgh Paper. There has to be instances out there where some Penn State writer took offense to something Nardouchie said in the last year......

The fact is, I fully expected Penn State to kill them something 59-10, and to me, they didn't end up looking all that powerful even though it was never in doubt. Let's see what Oklahoma State does to them.

The game plan sucked too- why is Barkley getting 5 touches in the first half? Sure- the red zone defense came through, but they were controlling long drives and we couldn't get off the field. That is the recipe for this team getting beat.

Reactions: 4INSBU and truk88
The game actually felt over after the 5th play of the game. While PSU didn't play the best game it felt like a big kid with his arm extended watching the smaller one fight back with all they had from a distance. I would have loved to see them win convincingly but they went mostly vanilla after the half and didn't fully execute and didn't have the 'passion' (for lack of a better word) that Pitt had at the end.

I don't know why people get their panties in a wad over stuff like this. He is writing for the Pittsburgh Paper. There has to be instances out there where some Penn State writer took offense to something Nardouchie said in the last year......

The fact is, I fully expected Penn State to kill them something 59-10, and to me, they didn't end up looking all that powerful even though it was never in doubt. Let's see what Oklahoma State does to them.

The game plan sucked too- why is Barkley getting 5 touches in the first half? Sure- the red zone defense came through, but they were controlling long drives and we couldn't get off the field. That is the recipe for this team getting beat.
I honestly can't think of a time when any PSU media EVER stood up for our program. I'm sure I'm wrong, but our beat guys aren't very loyal.

Not sure why the Pitters feel the need to take shots at Akron. Do the Pitt faithful (inlcuding the Duzzer) realize that by taking offense to Franklin's comment, they are implying that Akron is vastly inferior to Pitt?

Not sure why the Pitters feel the need to take shots at Akron. Do the Pitt faithful (inlcuding the Duzzer) realize that by taking offense to Franklin's comment, they are implying that Akron is vastly inferior to Pitt?

well, then there was the overtime game pitt had against a team that isn't even on Akron's MAC level (Youngstown St.).

Reactions: broey1
If PSU had lost to Pitt they would be more playoff worthy. Clemson passed the eye test in the loss, PSU did not in the 19 point win.
People are stupid.

Classy."

Ron Cook, writing a story about a Pitt PSU football game is a lot like a didlo trying to Jack Off.....nothing comes of it.

Just think if our QB ran over to their logo and planted a PSU flag in it. OK, did anyone notice that tOSU has a fake turf field and the QB damned near broke his hand trying to get it into the turf?

Ron Cook once voted for Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald for the Heisman and went on to admit that he never saw White play.

My guess is Pitt fans (even if it's 6 of them) are not reading the Post Gazette and he's trying to win them back.

Boy I'm sure James will be up nights with worry because Ron Cook doesn't think Franklin's team is championship worthy. I can almost see Franklin yawning as he reads this.

Right....as if Franklin would ever read his stuff!

Reactions: Madsol
Ron Cook himself cannot "read" his stuff. The guy is nearly legally blind. I know of a writer who sat next to Cook for a game in Pittsburgh, and saw his laptop, and Cook's font, according to this guy was about 72, like the biggest possible font you can have. True story.

Classy."

Who is this guy again?

Look, Franklin and staff were out-schemed. Give Narduzzi credit where credit is due. Frankln let it run its course because he felt we were in little danger of losing (which is true). It wasn't pretty, many of us didn't like it because we wanted blood but it got the job done. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: lionroar88
Comparing Pitt to Akron was pretty awesome actually. The game would have been a blow out if Mc Sorely could have hit someone in the hands in the first half. I hope he is able to compare the entire Big Ten slate to Akron as well. The big ten won't respect PSU until we knock them down and put our heels on their collective throats.

I honestly can't think of a time when any PSU media EVER stood up for our program. I'm sure I'm wrong, but our beat guys aren't very loyal.
Well to be honest their job isn't to be loyal. That said, neither is denigrating Penn State on a consistent basis. And this has been going on for years. Little wonder Paterno grew to despise the media.

Classy."

Joe always went "Joe Cocker" at the mention of Ron Cook.

the press does what the press does. this is how you get clicks and eyeballs. its also why less and less people believe the press. fake news. that isn't what franklin said or meant and they know it. so be it.

I watched the players hug and exchange pleasantries after the game. I didn't see a lot of hatred. I saw competitors that worked hard on the field and congratulated each other.

People love the media when it supports their beliefs, and then rip it when it opposes them. Franklin shouldn't have made such a stupid comment, and then said something afterward that we (media & fans) can take his comments how we want- which clearly demonstrates that he's ok with how the media is covering it. Franklin is generally very good with the message he sends, and knows how to work with the media. Here he slipped and came off as arrogant, and spoon fed the media an easy headline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT