ADVERTISEMENT

Rookie LB Pat Borland - Wisconsin on Niners retires.

Mister Magoo

Jul 16, 2001
Concern over health issues. Willis, Worilds, Locker and now him. Interesting off-season for Goodell. He's too busy planning on 18 games and PSI to be worried I'm sure.

Willis had already had a pretty long career. Worldis and Locker could have made more money but they did already make some decent money. So maybe you can hand wave those.

But Borland? A very successful rookie year and he retires? That is something. That is one that ought to scare the NFL a bit. Then again, players stop playing isn't as big of a concern for them as viewers stop viewing. And people still view the NFL in large numbers.

BTW, it's Chris Borland rather than Pat Borland.

The body can take only so much pounding.I have a friend that played about 10 years as a long snapper and he said he took a beating.I think we take for granted the pounding these guys in the NFL take.If he has his degree and walks away with a nice chunk of change in his pocket ,I can't blame him.

With a guy like Jake Locker I get it...he made it through his first contract....about 4 years...so Jake has about 6 million in the bank. I know from talking with folks Jake is conservative and did not blow his money. He is set for life...and I believe has his degree from Washington.
The Chris Borland story is a head scratcher. That is shocking to say the least.

Borland talked like this back at Wisconsin(link)

If anything, blame the Niners for drafting him....

Borland echoed that sentiment. "You can't change the game too much,'' he said. Yet, he recognized the need for change given the severity of the penalty. "Ejection is a strong word. You can't afford that, especially if you're a starter and key player.''

Does a defensive player have to condition himself to tackle differently? "I don't think you can afford to do that,'' Borland said. "A fundamentally sound tackle isn't going to warrant an ejection, so you have to focus on being fundamentally sound.''

Borland is well aware of the increased sensitivity to head injuries, concussions.

"Our athletic training staff does a great job with it,'' he said. "We appreciate them taking care of the players and caring about safety. Obviously it's an issue (nationally) with some of the things that have been going on with former NFL players (i.e. lawsuits).

"That said, it's a risk that you take on when you play football. It's up to you to be responsible if you sustain a concussion to take yourself out of the game or let someone know. The issues arise when guys try to tough it out.

"You can't play around with your brain.''

You can't play tentative or hold back on defense, either. "You've heard all of your life as an athlete, if you're trying not to get hurt, you're likely to get hurt,'' Borland said. "You have to play hard. And if you play sound, you should avoid most injuries.''

Borland on concussions

Good for him, it takes guts to make a decision like that...and brains.

As a Niners fan though, he couldn't come to this conclusion a year or so ago before the team wasted a 3rd round pick on him? Or, at least a few weeks ago before free agency started? Sounds harsh, but at the end of the day he really screwed his team and teammates. It's still a business. Niners brass will say the right thing, most teammates will as well. Deep down they prob want to choke him though.

It takes a special breed to play collegiate and pro football. 99.9% of people don't qualify. He is apparently part of that 99.9%. Again, sounds harsh, but that's only because it's true.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT