ADVERTISEMENT

Rooney "Believes".

In CLE sports talk, there is a host named Je-Rod Cherry. He played in the NFL from 96-04 and was part of three super bowl winning teams with the Pats. He runs a bible study group associated with the Browns and NFL. My point is that he is really connected.

He said that the players consider Tomlin to be a top 3 coach and there isn't a guy in the NFL who wouldn't play for him. I've also heard that on other talk shows. (I don't watch a lot) Both Bradshaw and Cowher endorse him. Boomer too.

The only people who seem to speak badly of him are Steeler fans.

In CLE sports talk, there is a host named Je-Rod Cherry. He played in the NFL from 96-04 and was part of three super bowl winning teams with the Pats. He runs a bible study group associated with the Browns and NFL. My point is that he is really connected.

He said that the players consider Tomlin to be a top 3 coach and there isn't a guy in the NFL who wouldn't play for him. I've also heard that on other talk shows. (I don't watch a lot) Both Bradshaw and Cowher endorse him. Boomer too.

Yeah, it seems the players, former players and coaches all endorse him. The media is not all sunshine and kittens with him but he doesn't care since the person signing his paycheck loves him.

Even if you love the guy you have to look at things objectively and he is certainly not above criticism. The main beefs I have with him are; 1) He doesn't win playoff games, 2) He is accountable for the mess we are in at the QB position and; 3) He blows games vs weak teams every year.

Yeah, it seems the players, former players and coaches all endorse him. The media is not all sunshine and kittens with him but he doesn't care since the person signing his paycheck loves him.

Even if you love the guy you have to look at things objectively and he is certainly not above criticism. The main beefs I have with him are; 1) He doesn't win playoff games, 2) He is accountable for the mess we are in at the QB position and; 3) He blows games vs weak teams every year.
As a Browns fan who doesn't watch the Steelers every week, I see a team that doesn't have a ton of talent on offense and has ongoing personnel problems. By that I mean crazy people at WR, specifically. Yet, he gets the Steelers above .500 and in the playoffs.

So the problem is in talent evaluation and development.

• Harris hasn't lived up to his first-round status
  • There isn't a top-ten/good QB on the roster (lots of NFL teams share this problem, about 22)
  • Steelers repeatedly have had head cases recently at WR but are good WRs at catching and YAC (despite having a history of fantastic WRs who catch and block, historically)
  • OC has been a revolving door
I am not sure what input he has into player-personnel but that appears to be where the problem is.

Reactions: bison13

In relation to this, here is a quote from The Athletic earlier this week that I found interesting:

The guy must be high. Tomlin is a waste.

In relation to this, here is a quote from The Athletic earlier this week that I found interesting:
I'm too lazy to look all this up, but just off the top of my head, I am certain McCarthy has a winning record w/ Dallas (post Aaron) & Harbaugh had a winning record and a super bowl win before Lamar. If i have to pretend that Dak & Flacco are star QBs, it's a good bet there are even more bogus numbers in that article. Who is Shanahan's star QB? Garappolo, or the guy he took 6.5 rounds after Tomlin took Pickett? Probably both if they both had a winning record & you're in desperate need of making up a bogus stat to try to make an argument. What nonsense.

Just for you guys. How many coaches has Bill Cowher had who went on to head coaching jobs? How about Mike Tomlin? Anyone with an answer? I'll provide one later.
Off the top of my head: Cowher had Capers, Mularkey, Weisenhunt, LeBeau, and Whipple at the FCS/FBS level. I think I might be missing an offensive coordinator. Tomlin had Arians* and Scottie Montgomery at the FBS level. Flores might be added to that list in the future. Added an asterisk to Arians because he got “retired” prior to landing the Cardinals job.

Off the top of my head: Cowher had Capers, Mularkey, Weisenhunt, LeBeau, and Whipple at the FCS/FBS level. I think I might be missing an offensive coordinator. Tomlin had Arians* and Scottie Montgomery at the FBS level. Flores might be added to that list in the future. Added an asterisk to Arians because he got “retired” prior to landing the Cardinals job.
Cowher had 9 and Tomlin had one. Tomlin fired him before he became the head coach at Ariz.

The moral of the story is that jobs under Tomlin are a dead end to pro football. Why?
For whatever reason, it seems like Tomlin likes to hire older, more veteran coaches who have no chance of landing head coaching jobs or have already flopped as one (Munchak, Haley, Smith). Maybe it’s a desire for stability? That’s why I was so surprised when they brought on Aaron Curry for LBs, who’s considered to be an up-and-comer. They really haven’t hired many of those types.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
For whatever reason, it seems like Tomlin likes to hire older, more veteran coaches who have no chance of landing head coaching jobs or have already flopped as one (Munchak, Haley, Smith). Maybe it’s a desire for stability? That’s why I was so surprised when they brought on Aaron Curry for LBs, who’s considered to be an up-and-comer. They really haven’t hired many of those types.
Maybe it's Tomlin's coaching style. The players love it because they practice only when they want to. Feeling a little rough er hung over today, take it easy. Very undisciplined according to my friend who occasionally travels with the team.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Maybe it's Tomlin's coaching style. The players love it because they practice only when they want to. Feeling a little rough er hung over today, take it easy. Very undisciplined according to my friend who occasionally travels with the team.
It definitely seems like something flipped with him. A lot of the guys who played under Cowher and Tomlin said Tomlin was the X’s/O’s guy and Cowher was the player’s coach, but we’ve always assumed that it was the other way around because of the lack of accountability/discipline.

Imo the problem with Tomlin is his ego. He won’t admit and move on from his mistakes i: Canada,
pickett, the punter and other underperforming draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeaubie21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT