ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl ? Who threw what into the crowd.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
And started a kerfufle? A Ute player, #3, went out of bounds in the PSU bench area in first quarter. He started back to the huddle then went back to the sidelines. Just then a PSU player picked something up off the ground and then threw it into the stands behind him. A bit of a scuffle broke out and there were more after the next couple plays. I heard it was the mouth guard of #3 and he had to leave the game to get another.

The 🧚🏼 in me says that was bush thing to do but the 👹 in me keeps laughing about it. What say you? Was that a bad thing or pretty smart? Should there have been penalty? Who was the PSU player. That did it? Was he asked about it or did anyone in the press mention it?

Inquiring minds want to know….

I thought that one of our threw Solomon Enis (#21) receiver towel they use to wipe their hands with further behind our bench when he tried to pick it up.

I see that from time to time in high school games. Agree that it doesn't scream "Success With Honor" but boys will be boys I guess.

# Gamesmanship vs Sportsmanship

I thought it was a poor look for PSU

I thought that one of our threw Solomon Enis (#21) receiver towel they use to wipe their hands with further behind our bench when he tried to pick it up.

I see that from time to time in high school games. Agree that it doesn't scream "Success With Honor" but boys will be boys I guess.

Oh for christ sake it's 2023 already. Some of you want Penn State in the Ivy League circa 1895, with Coca cola and sandwiches at halftime on blankets in the middle of the field 😆...Ahoy Palloy...just save it already.

KLS is taking a lot of heat from UU fans. He was filmed asking what a "Ute" is on the sideline during the game and he wasn't being complimentary. That, with this and the post-TD antics and he is taking a lot of heat. He had a great game, a coming-out party, but is going to have to grow up a bit.

Last edited:
Apparently I'm out if touch for wanting our players to exhibit good sportsmanship.
If you thought Reid, Ham, Smear and Onkotz were choir boys...think again. Poor sportsmanship is not equivalent to smack talk or chest thumping. Conlan, Bauer and Cobbs used to hit after the whistle then shove the guy after the play. Parlevecchio drove a Pitt lineman through the bench. I can do this all day...

If you thought Reid, Ham, Smear and Onkotz were choir boys...think again. Poor sportsmanship is not equivalent to smack talk or chest thumping. Conlan, Bauer and Cobbs used to hit after the whistle then shove the guy after the play. Parlevecchio drove a Pitt lineman through the bench. I can do this all day...
maybe...today, those would all be 15-yard penalties. If #1 was seen by the ref doing that, he'd probably have gotten a flag too. We don't need those, there is no value in it, act like you've been there.

maybe...today, those would all be 15-yard penalties. If #1 was seen by the ref doing that, he'd probably have gotten a flag too. We don't need those, there is no value in it, act like you've been there.
He hasn't been there. None of them have. And that Cotton bowl win over Memphis pales next to the Rose Bowl.

Specifically Enis(21) and number 3 from the get go were very chippy..I couldn't understand why, but I wasn't on the field. Then P.J. got in a spat with some of there players. The very next play the qb, hard count while bobbing his head, got an offsides on P.J. The announcers even spoke about the players running their mouths. They literally were tackling Chop most every play. The mouthing off calmed down in the second half the holding not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Your are right. They ran their mouths, and PSU smashed them in the face.
Yep.

And for the record I don't like a lot of displays, not a big fan of KLS hammy limp, for example. I watched Justin Jefferson do it all year. It tempts fate and the football gods, feigning injury. But trash talking and some chippiness has always been with us. You could find somebody doing or saying something "unsportsmanlike" every two seconds in a game. Then you smash them in the face!

The background of Ennis being a recruiting target of PSU a few years back likely had something to do with it. Ennis, in high school, likely had been to PSU with his Pappy and then as a recruit. So Ennis likely made some friends and acquaintances on the PSU team. Possibly KLS and Ennis know each other.

To me it was not a big deal, given the relationship with Ennis and PSU. A little childish, but just a little gamesmanship between "friends".

Could have also said to Ennis, "come futher into the PSU bench were you should have been to begin with...." ;)

And one might surmise that KLS would never have done it if he didn't know Ennis.

Talking crap in a scrum on field is different than this act. It wasn't a good look and hopefully doesn't become a habit. Maybe the Utah player did something to deserve it. But the only thing caught on camera and talked about was throwing the towel.

Talking crap in a scrum on field is different than this act. It wasn't a good look and hopefully doesn't become a habit. Maybe the Utah player did something to deserve it. But the only thing caught on camera and talked about was throwing the towel.
And beyond not being a good look, it's a penalty waiting to happen (and a ridiculously dumb penalty at that).

Reactions: gptakba and TangSoo
I was pretty sure it was a mouth guard when I saw it happen. I agree it's a penalty waiting to happen. I also think it's bush league, but not that big of a deal.

Reactions: therod and Obliviax
Oh for christ sake it's 2023 already. Some of you want Penn State in the Ivy League circa 1895, with Coca cola and sandwiches at halftime on blankets in the middle of the field 😆...Ahoy Palloy...just save it already.
Weren't there sandwiches in the Michigan tunnel ? :oops:That didn't work out well.

I was pretty sure it was a mouth guard when I saw it happen. I agree it's a penalty waiting to happen. I also think it's bush league, but not that big of a deal.
I agree with you. It isn't the end of the world...but the trending isn't good. I understand CJF and the trainer were not thrilled with the pulled hamstring celebration. People were jumping into place and starting to consider staffing issues if he pulled a hammy. The making fun of what a Ute is doesn't bother me....but if he is going to be a team leader, he can't hurt the team or get dumb penalties moving forward. He's young and emerging...time to grow up a bit.

Reactions: marshall23
Ok, so when I saw the play I saw a towel in the air but didn’t see which Ute player it was, and assumed that’s what it was about. But during the replay….in a room full of people….I thought one of the announcers said it was a mouth guard and they showed #3 in the middle of things.

So my inner Sherlock Holmes conferred with my outer Lt Colombo and deduced that someone threw the towel of #21 of the Utes behind the bench. When #3 of the Utes complained about it his mouth guard popped out and #1 of PSU threw that into the crowd. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: indynittany
Ok, so when I saw the play I saw a towel in the air but didn’t see which Ute player it was, and assumed that’s what it was about. But during the replay….in a room full of people….I thought one of the announcers said it was a mouth guard and they showed #3 in the middle of things.

So my inner Sherlock Holmes conferred with my outer Lt Colombo and deduced that someone threw the towel of #21 of the Utes behind the bench. When #3 of the Utes complained about it his mouth guard popped out and #1 of PSU threw that into the crowd. 🤷🏼‍♀️
announcers said they thought it was a towel....but they were not sure.

KLS is taking a lot of heat from UU fans. He was filmed asking what a "Ute" is on the sideline during the game and he wasn't being complimentary. That, with this and the post-TD antics and he is taking a lot of heat. He had a great game, a coming-out party, but is going to have to grow up a bit.
I saw that video, it wasn't a good look. He was being rather aggressive with whomever he was yelling at, but you couldn't see who it was in the video.

I saw that video, it wasn't a good look. He was being rather aggressive with whomever he was yelling at, but you couldn't see who it was in the video.
yeah...in his defense, he probably thought he was just talking to teammates. All good. I would imagine it would be a new world to have a TV camera on you all the time but it is something players, especially premier players, have to learn to deal with.

You aren’t necessarily wrong but remember how the players were treated in Iowa in 2012, that entire season, and sporadic comments (I assume) ever since. So I try to give them the benefit of doubt that lines were crossed

The same UU fans calling us Pedo State?

Reactions: Psugo823

Yep.

And for the record I don't like a lot of displays, not a big fan of KLS hammy limp, for example. I watched Justin Jefferson do it all year. It tempts fate and the football gods, feigning injury. But trash talking and some chippiness has always been with us. You could find somebody doing or saying something "unsportsmanlike" every two seconds in a game. Then you smash them in the face!
I remember Jack Lambert smashing a running back then telling him “that will cool your ass off a bit.” It’s football, not tidily winks.

Reactions: joeaubie21
I remember Jack Lambert smashing a running back then telling him “that will cool your ass off a bit.” It’s football, not tidily winks.
As shocking as it is, football can still be played while exhibiting good sportsmanship. I don’t recall the last time I watched a player pick up a selfish unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and said “perfect, we really needed to give up those 15 yards in that spot.”

• Haha
Reactions: jjw165
ADVERTISEMENT