ADVERTISEMENT

RULE CHANGES for 2021-22 through 2022-23

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Perusing the rule changes, I only found a couple worth mentioning...

-- Changes the first sudden-victory period in overtime to two (2) minutes in length and allows
for a winner to be determined if one wrestler has a riding time advantage of one (1) second or more at the conclusion of the first tiebreaker period. NOTE: if still tied, the second sudden victory period is one minute, with the tiebreaker periods riding time kept to determine the winner if the score is tied. Same with subsequent bout time, if needed.

(past rule was a one minute SV period followed by the tiebreaker 1 periods. Riding time was kept, but wasn't used until tiebreaker 2, if it went that far).

-- Weigh-in time for day 2 (and day 3 for the NCAA Championship) is now held two hours or sooner before the start of competition. The old rule was one hour.

Last edited:
Is the riding time component figure on riding time from the entire match or just the tiebreaker periods?

For example, if a wrestler has a 1:30 riding time advantage at the end of regulation and a tie exists, does that basically guarantee victory for that wrestler should the score remain tied thru the end of the 1st set of tiebreakers?

Reactions: Antaeus
Is the riding time component figure on riding time from the entire match or just the tiebreaker periods?

For example, if a wrestler has a 1:30 riding time advantage at the end of regulation and a tie exists, does that basically guarantee victory for that wrestler should the score remain tied thru the end of the 1st set of tiebreakers?
Riding time is counted from the beginning of the match.

Riding time is counted from the beginning of the match.
I'm not sure that's true, if you mean RT as a criteria for OT win. Yesterday Facundo had a good bit of RT racked up in regulation, but that didn't seem to factor in when Best won on RT criteria in OT.

Reactions: Oracle68
I'm not sure that's true, if you mean RT as a criteria for OT win. Yesterday Facundo had a good bit of RT racked up in regulation, but that didn't seem to factor in when Best won on RT criteria in OT.

That is incorrect. After regulation riding time is returned to zero just like it has been for years.
Thanks. Im glad it will be reset. I'd hate to see non-offensive riding be further rewarded.

That is incorrect. After regulation riding time is returned to zero just like it has been for years.
Yes. That's right. Facundo had riding time during regulation in his recent loss at the Clarion Open, but it was reset to zero in OT.

Yes. That's right. Facundo had riding time during regulation in his recent loss at the Clarion Open, but it was reset to zero in OT.
I personally would prefer that the criterea after an equal TB1 round starts with Riding Time in regulation when the regular stalling rules apply. They way the TBs are (not) called, it's "stall your butt off on top for 30 seconds" and basing the winner off of that is problematic.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia
I personally would prefer that the criterea after an equal TB1 round starts with Riding Time in regulation when the regular stalling rules apply. They way the TBs are (not) called, it's "stall your butt off on top for 30 seconds" and basing the winner off of that is problematic.
Why have overtime at all. Only adds 3 minutes of stalling. Just use the riding time from regulation as the tiebreaker. Don’t waste the extra time.

Why have overtime at all. Only adds 3 minutes of stalling. Just use the riding time from regulation as the tiebreaker. Don’t waste the extra time.
That is an argument that many make--I don't hate it--but I want to see if the 2 minutes this year opens things up any--there have been plenty of thrilling TDs in SV, See the Blue & White on Saturday Night, for instance.

Even in the Clarion Open match Facundo lost, the 2 minutes gave him time to try and finish a good, but slow developing attack--turns out he couldn't finish it, but he had the chance..

That is an argument that many make--I don't hate it--but I want to see if the 2 minutes this year opens things up any--there have been plenty of thrilling TDs in SV, See the Blue & White on Saturday Night, for instance.

Even in the Clarion Open match Facundo lost, the 2 minutes gave him time to try and finish a good, but slow developing attack--turns out he couldn't finish it, but he had the chance..
He had the chance for 7 minutes already.

If an extra 2 minutes is going to open things up, just think how the third period would open up if someone knew that the match would be over at the end of the period. All it does is delay the action. And as long as there is a chance that you can win by riding someone for 20 seconds and getting out in 19, people are going to go that route.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
He had the chance for 7 minutes already.

If an extra 2 minutes is going to open things up, just think how the third period would open up if someone knew that the match would be over at the end of the period. All it does is delay the action. And as long as there is a chance that you can win by riding someone for 20 seconds and getting out in 19, people are going to go that route.
I get the argument. I just like the thrill of squaring off after a tough bout in the winner-take-all environment a SV situation creates: Conaway vs. Graph, Zain vs. Steiber, RBY vs. Fix, Lee vs. Eierman, Starocci vs. Kemerer. All great memories to me. I don't like the TBs one bit though. And I think criteria is working great for Freestyle too. What's wrong with variety?

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I get the argument. I just like the thrill of squaring off after a tough bout in the winner-take-all environment a SV situation creates: Conaway vs. Graph, Zain vs. Steiber, RBY vs. Fix, Lee vs. Eierman, Starocci vs. Kemerer. All great memories to me. I don't like the TBs one bit though. And I think criteria is working great for Freestyle too. What's wrong with variety?
I get it, but I also think you’d like all those matches if your guy pulled out a win in regulation at the end of the third or am I wrong?

My goal would be to keep matches shorter. There’s so many breaks in a folkstyle match as it is that they take forever. Very unappealing to a casual fan. If we can pack the same amount of action into less time I think that is the way to go.

Reactions: nitlion6
I get it, but I also think you’d like all those matches if your guy pulled out a win in regulation at the end of the third or am I wrong?

My goal would be to keep matches shorter. There’s so many breaks in a folkstyle match as it is that they take forever. Very unappealing to a casual fan. If we can pack the same amount of action into less time I think that is the way to go.
I’d be willing to go for a step out if you give me 90seconds of bonus wrestling before criterea kicks in.

I’d be willing to go for a step out if you give me 90seconds of bonus wrestling before criterea kicks in.
You know I’m thinking about this a bit more, and I think they should take one more gradual step. What they did this year was basically cut out the number of periods before they go to criteria, which I think is a good thing.

As a next step I think they should just eliminate the OT rideouts. Fine, keep the sudden victory neutral period, but if it’s tied after OT just give the win to the guy that had RT in regulation. I think that would increase the action of the sudden victory period substantially.

Settle it on their feet, imo. Plus I know a few coaches that would agree.

Reactions: nerfstate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT