ADVERTISEMENT

Rules Question

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
You see some pretty crazy non-calls on escapes these days. Who was it at the collegiate duals that was in the standing position with his opponents leg up in the air and the opponent was still accumulating riding time?

Which leads me to my question. Did the rules in what constitutes an escape change since 19-18? Near the end of the first period, with Nevills down on the mat and Kyle pushing down on his head, not only was an escape called, but it was upheld on replay.

Watch at 3:15 on the video;

That seems to never be called an escape anymore.

You see some pretty crazy non-calls on escapes these days. Who was it at the collegiate duals that was in the standing position with his opponents leg up in the air and the opponent was still accumulating riding time?

Which leads me to my question. Did the rules in what constitutes an escape change since 19-18? Near the end of the first period, with Nevills down on the mat and Kyle pushing down on his head, not only was an escape called, but it was upheld on replay.

Watch at 3:15 on the video;

That seems to never be called an escape anymore.

If the bottom wrestler hasn’t broken away 100% and grabs & elevates the leg, he is in position to execute a reversal (rather than escape and takedown). The official waits to see if he executes the reversal
or otherwise loses the hold and breaks away (in which case the escape is called).

If he still has the leg and is clearly still not controlled by the other wrestler, and they go out of bounds (or there is a stoppage for another reason), then the escape is usually awarded.

Basically, the way they call this is that no escape is called in chain-wrestling action where the bottom guy has taken what appears to be an advantage without complete separation having occurred, first — “unfair” to the top guy to award an escape and TD to his opponent if it is really just a reversal that is in play.

Kinda like having to “break the hold” on tilts and other NF maneuvers to be awarded points before another set of NF points on the same move can be in play.

Wouldn't it make sense to stop riding time in these situations? Isn't the rule but should be.
Yes. But then that's one more call for the refs to make, and another coordination with the scorer's table. What could go wrong?

It would make even more sense to eliminate RT altogether. Get rid of the incentive to top stall.

I don’t see the separation on that escape in the first period as opposed to the complete separation that seems to be required before an escape is awarded these days.

For it to be challenged and upheld, I thought maybe there had been a rule change since.

(I was rewatching the last few matches of 19-18 today when I took note of it.)

I love Casey in that match. His coaching throughout and especially his throwing the brick. He was all in!

If you had a high level kid, how could you not want to hand them off to these guys!

Greatest Dual I ever attended.
My favorite part of the last match:

When Nevills sprawls and avoids a takedown with 8 secs left, Cael’s reaction is to swirl his finger in a circle for Nevills to spin around for his own TD.

The crowd is going nuts because the dual is won, and Sanderson is looking for Nevills to score with seconds to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT