ADVERTISEMENT

Sad reflection of this board

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
I wake up this morning with PSU 10-2 and headed to the rose bowl. What do I see as the threads at the top of this board?

1. Thread about our 3rd string backup qb transferring and then another follow up thread about this same topic
2. NIL ruining football
3. Thread about playing our backup qb over the starter
4. Over 1000 players in the portal
5. Not 1 but 2 threads about the worst case scenario for this 10-2 rose bowl bound team
6. Random threads about Drexel and US soccer

We are 10-2 and headed to the rose bowl! Why all of the negativity? Is this board just over-run by non-PSU fans and those PSU fans who aren't happy with anything less than undefeated and #1 ranking?

In case it hasn't been mentioned, we are 10-2 (with 6 wins by 4 or more TDs and 2 by 19 points) headed to the rose bowl and have a huge amount of young talent that got us there setting us up for a strong 2023 outlook.

It is the state of the world and the state of the country. We are a divided people that agree on every few things.And it is fashionable to disagree to show you are superior to group think. Always raise the counter point. Always look for flaws to exploit. Always attack any one with a differing opinion. And never….EVER…..give an inch.

All on display in the endless threads of meaningless minutia twisting over every word. And the same minutia brought up in threads after thread after thread. Putting one’s own amazing intellect on full display until it becomes universally recognized.

The anonymity of the internet amplifies that trend. It encourages such prophetilizing. These forums become their sounding boards. It’s a sad reflection of the country.

Perhaps an app that culls the redundant theme threads from the board would help. I would venture to guess if created and deployed the reaction would be redundant posts pertaining to censorship. But the app would take care of that. Lol

Reactions: BudatPSU
Sadly, you are spot on. There is a group that must constantly seek out the dark side, and if it is not there_ create it.

Reactions: BudatPSU
I wake up this morning with PSU 10-2 and headed to the rose bowl. What do I see as the threads at the top of this board?

1. Thread about our 3rd string backup qb transferring and then another follow up thread about this same topic
2. NIL ruining football
5. Not 1 but 2 threads about the worst case scenario for this 10-2 rose bowl bound team

We are 10-2 and headed to the rose bowl! Why all of the negativity? Is this board just over-run by non-PSU fans and those PSU fans who aren't happy with anything less than undefeated and #1 ranking?

In case it hasn't been mentioned, we are 10-2 (with 6 wins by 4 or more TDs and 2 by 19 points) headed to the rose bowl and have a huge amount of young talent that got us there setting us up for a strong 2023 outlook.
We've been told that the Rose Bowl is just an exhibition much like the Blue White game.

This contingent of doom and gloomers have a warped sense of history as well. I am very happy with 10-2. We are not ‘Bama and have not been consistently elite since the ‘70’s and 80’s. The last time we touched elite was ‘94. 10-2 is a very good season at PSU. Paterno would never look at 10-2 as a disappointment . I would argue it’s much more difficult to earn success these days with the necessity to recruit nationally, considering the gradual decline of western PA high school football, a former nationally recognized hotbed of talent that would autofeed the program.. We also went through Sandusky, and despite all the difficulties we are going to be competing in the playoffs over the next few seasons. I couldn’t be happier with where the program is right now.

There are a few here that state over and over - Franklin stink - we play nobody and don’t deserve any ranking and if we aren’t in the CFP the season was a total waste - it’s stupid and tiring and there are a few here to make sure they lost that in EVERY thread no matter what the topic is.

2. NIL ruining football

Boo Hoo

Over It Reaction GIF by filmeditor

I am neither thrilled or upset about our 10-2 record. One can talk about a ten win season and a Rose Bowl birth. On the other hand, we lost to both very good teams we played, beat a couple of "good" teams, beat a bunch of crappy teams. In addition, the reason why we are in the Rose is because the two best teams made the playoff. So even with our weak schedule, we backed into the Rose.

So PSU did what we were supposed to do. In fact, I was 100% correct predicting each game. I guess, one way to look at it, is that we didn't **** up winnable games like we did the previous years.

Now, what is thrilling, is that we have a half dozen absolute blue-chip true freshmen first-year players. We have a QB that is physically more talented than any QB in our history. If we can develop him and pick up some talent around him (this year's HS class and portal) we should be dancing over the next few years.

2. NIL ruining football

I agree and unfortunately this is our current world.. It is run by Facebook, Ticktok, Twitter, Negative News outlets, Instagram... It's hard to see any positives about our current world, let alone college FB. Negativity is being bread into our culture every minute, every hour, every day. The leaders of this world have totally brainwashed the population into this BS.

Plus, some people are just dumbasses!

I have to hand it those here who aptly point out that this reflection is more broadly capturing our society as a whole. We're all likely guilty of being influenced by it in facets of our lives as the push is so pervasive.

For me, I've always been an optimist but flawed. There are so many things for which I am grateful and hopeful. I'm in a position where the current economy is a nuisance whereas many millions of Americans are trying to figure out how to heat their homes and feed their families now. Yet, I succumb to the daily stock market hemorrhages and the sticker shock everywhere you go.

Some people maybe focus that negativity into football or whatever their release is. If it saves those closest to them from the worst of those posters than great. If it feeds a negative feedback loop, God help those close to those posters.

Certainly the ever presence of politics in the news, social media, sports, as you drive down the street, on signs on your lawn, etc. gives no escape from what for some can only be described as hate to the opposition, their neighbors, brothers and sisters. The political machines have successfully divided us for their power. And perhaps the negativity here in a 10-2 rose bowl bound season is but a symptom of the disease that sickens us.

So yes, a sad reflection of the board is perhaps deeper. Mary might say we are missing God. Regardless of your beliefs, we are missing gratitude for certain. In the words of Queen, I want it all and I want it now. Do we stop to think about how blessed we are? How good we have it? The good people in our lives?

Took a quick look at Alabama, Clemson, UCLA boards this morning. Hardly any discussion on their upcoming bowl games which are just under a month away. Lots of talk on the portal, transferring players, some recruiting, their backup qbs or qb situations, and even soccer. Some posts are even critical of their coaches (the horror) and what new assistants they need to get.

It’s like that all over. After finding out where your playing and against who there’s not much discussion a month out- other than players who sit out and how will that may affect the game etc. The portal and NIL are huge discussions on many boards now.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Took a quick look at Alabama, Clemson, UCLA boards this morning. Hardly any discussion on their upcoming bowl games which are just under a month away. Lots of talk on the portal, transferring players, some recruiting, their backup qbs or qb situations, and even soccer. Some posts are even critical of their coaches (the horror) and what new assistants they need to get.

It’s like that all over. After finding out where your playing and against who there’s not much discussion a month out- other than players who sit out and how will that may affect the game etc. The portal and NIL are huge discussions on many boards now.
well, UCLA has an awful fan base. And why not? There is so much else to do in SoCal and UCLA hasn't been any good for decades. AL and Clemson underachieved. Their base is used to dancing. NYD6 games no longer cut it.

I think the Utah/PSU Rose Bowl is the best bowl game not in the dance. I think it gets a huge rating on TV. And to think we came oh-so-close to playing Tulane in the Cotton Bowl. Huge difference.

Well, bama and Clemson both had very disappointing seasons by their recent expectations. Not a good comparison. How’s the Utah board? Or USC? Or Tennessee?

well, UCLA has an awful fan base. And why not? There is so much else to do in SoCal and UCLA hasn't been any good for decades. AL and Clemson underachieved. Their base is used to dancing. NYD6 games no longer cut it.

I think the Utah/PSU Rose Bowl is the best bowl game not in the dance. I think it gets a huge rating on TV. And to think we came oh-so-close to playing Tulane in the Cotton Bowl. Huge difference.
I chose those 3 quickly just to see a comparison (similar situation in non playoff teams). Same on the LSU boards, etc.

Anyway, I agree PSU vs Utah is a good matchup and one of the best non playoff games. No argument there. Tennessee got lucky with OSU to the playoffs in that they got to skip the Cotton Bowl (Tulane) and go to the Orange Bowl vs Clemson.

USC went from likely playoff spot to playing Tulane in Dallas. Want to guess what the discussion is like on their boards the last week or so? ;)

Last edited:
I have to hand it those here who aptly point out that this reflection is more broadly capturing our society as a whole. We're all likely guilty of being influenced by it in facets of our lives as the push is so pervasive.

For me, I've always been an optimist but flawed. There are so many things for which I am grateful and hopeful. I'm in a position where the current economy is a nuisance whereas many millions of Americans are trying to figure out how to heat their homes and feed their families now. Yet, I succumb to the daily stock market hemorrhages and the sticker shock everywhere you go.

Some people maybe focus that negativity into football or whatever their release is. If it saves those closest to them from the worst of those posters than great. If it feeds a negative feedback loop, God help those close to those posters.

Certainly the ever presence of politics in the news, social media, sports, as you drive down the street, on signs on your lawn, etc. gives no escape from what for some can only be described as hate to the opposition, their neighbors, brothers and sisters. The political machines have successfully divided us for their power. And perhaps the negativity here in a 10-2 rose bowl bound season is but a symptom of the disease that sickens us.

So yes, a sad reflection of the board is perhaps deeper. Mary might say we are missing God. Regardless of your beliefs, we are missing gratitude for certain. In the words of Queen, I want it all and I want it now. Do we stop to think about how blessed we are? How good we have it? The good people in our lives?
A lot of people focus on the few bad things that happen in their lives instead of all the good things that happen all the time. Imagine how happy we would be if we reversed that. This, to me, is the secret to true happiness. I, personally, am on a journey to strengthen my relationship with Jesus which teaches you to focus on your blessings.

Well, bama and Clemson both had very disappointing seasons by their recent expectations. Not a good comparison. How’s the Utah board? Or USC? Or Tennessee?

Quick scan of their front pages-

- Utah-
Recruiting
Portal
Transfers
Rose Bowl parade/ tickets
Utes in NFL
Utah teaching USC a lesson in the PAC championship game
PAC QB rankings

- USC-
Portal
Transfers
Something Mr Lincoln (coach) needs to think about…
Deon at colorado
Players on all PAC team
USC gets painful lesson from Utah
Heisman talk (their QB nominated).

- Tennessee-
Recruiting
Portal
Underage drinking
Draft status of players
Deon at Colorado
Titans
Finebaum
Recruiting rankings in SEC

Same issues discussed on most boards. Very little, if any, bowl game talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
It is the state of the world and the state of the country. We are a divided people that agree on every few things.And it is fashionable to disagree to show you are superior to group think. Always raise the counter point. Always look for flaws to exploit. Always attack any one with a differing opinion. And never….EVER…..give an inch.

All on display in the endless threads of meaningless minutia twisting over every word. And the same minutia brought up in threads after thread after thread. Putting one’s own amazing intellect on full display until it becomes universally recognized.

The anonymity of the internet amplifies that trend. It encourages such prophetilizing. These forums become their sounding boards. It’s a sad reflection of the country.

Perhaps an app that culls the redundant theme threads from the board would help. I would venture to guess if created and deployed the reaction would be redundant posts pertaining to censorship. But the app would take care of that. Lol
You can say that again ;)

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

I have no idea what you're talking about but it sure sounds convincing!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
B.S. A little click left this board and this board is way better for it.
Yes Tom was hard to put up with because he catered to those who thought like him and would censor anything that challenged those beliefs. To me, ideas should be openly discussed and respectfully debated. This board did not permit that.

Perhaps the best proof of this was early in the covid thread. You either were advocating hiding in your basement, triple masked, and afraid or your post was deleted. Good riddens to that crowd and their officially sanctioned censor.

A lot of people focus on the few bad things that happen in their lives instead of all the good things that happen all the time. Imagine how happy we would be if we reversed that. This, to me, is the secret to true happiness. I, personally, am on a journey to strengthen my relationship with Jesus which teaches you to focus on your blessings.
I agree but also feel that is a bit unfair. The key to life is to always be improving, learning, moving up. At the same time, balance in the notion of being happy. If you get really good at it, improvement makes you happy. It is life's journey. So to improve you have to be realistic with yourself. To me, there are some facts. The first fact is that PSU WAY underperformed in 20 and 21. The team did just fine in 22 but isn't where it needs to be in terms of competing for a B1G championship. Now, things will change with the expansion to 12 playoff teams (the B1G championship is meaningless and may well cease to exist). So the definition of college football success in 22 should have been to make the four team playoff. We didn't do that. We did, however, greatly improve. OK, fine.

In future years, our 22 performance would put us in the playoff so things change and we've got to keep up.

But recognizing our team's shortcomings and seeking a path to improvement isn't a bad thing IMHO.

Same issues discussed on most boards. Very little, if any, bowl game talk.
Because the playoff "lessened the significance of the bowls"
This isn't anyone being negative. The Rose Bowl isn't what it was 20 years ago. No bowl game is. And that's okay.

Yes Tom was hard to put up with because he catered to those who thought like him and would censor anything that challenged those beliefs. To me, ideas should be openly discussed and respectfully debated. This board did not permit that.

Perhaps the best proof of this was early in the covid thread. You either were advocating hiding in your basement, triple masked, and afraid or your post was deleted. Good riddens to that crowd and their officially sanctioned censor.
Bwahahaha..
Proving the OPs point.

Making the OPs point while winning the 'Beating a dead horse' award for 2022 early.
What an accomplishment!

I agree but also feel that is a bit unfair. The key to life is to always be improving, learning, moving up. At the same time, balance in the notion of being happy. If you get really good at it, improvement makes you happy. It is life's journey. So to improve you have to be realistic with yourself. To me, there are some facts. The first fact is that PSU WAY underperformed in 20 and 21. The team did just fine in 22 but isn't where it needs to be in terms of competing for a B1G championship. Now, things will change with the expansion to 12 playoff teams (the B1G championship is meaningless and may well cease to exist). So the definition of college football success in 22 should have been to make the four team playoff. We didn't do that. We did, however, greatly improve. OK, fine.

In future years, our 22 performance would put us in the playoff so things change and we've got to keep up.

But recognizing our team's shortcomings and seeking a path to improvement isn't a bad thing IMHO.
I agree with you, to a point. A realistic appraisal of strengths and weaknesses is necessary for improvement. However, what is most tiresome are the numerous posters on this forum who ONLY see negatives, refuse to acknowledge team and coaching strengths and act as if they are entitled to a National Championship every other year. These are the sad people who need to take a course on gratitude.

Reactions: psu_andy
Because the playoff "lessened the significance of the bowls"
This isn't anyone being negative. The Rose Bowl isn't what it was 20 years ago. No bowl game is. And that's okay.
I think that’s true to some extent. That said, I think it’s mostly because we’re a month out from the games (roughly) and it’s sort of a dead time where issues like the Portal, transfers, and Deon to Colorado fill the void.

I agree with you, to a point. A realistic appraisal of strengths and weaknesses is necessary for improvement. However, what is most tiresome are the numerous posters on this forum who ONLY see negatives, refuse to acknowledge team and coaching strengths and act as if they are entitled to a National Championship every other year. These are the sad people who need to take a course on gratitude.
fair enough.

On the other hand, I made a fairly bland post saying I was neither thrilled or unhappy with the '22 season. I was attacked as being negative. I look at it as being realistic.

I guess my point is that, by responding to questions, I started to look negative and I am far from negative regarding the status of the football program.

Reactions: psu_andy and psu00

This ^^^^.

In fairness when OP posted this thread you could go on the front page and see 4 or so threads that he himself started that had nothing to do with being 10-2 and was all about transfers and portal and how the committee dropped PSU so OSU could be in the playoffs. I appreciate the things the OP posts the majority of the time but found this thread to be a real lack of self awareness, considering

Reactions: psu00
In fairness when OP posted this thread you could go on the front page and see 4 or so threads that he himself started that had nothing to do with being 10-2 and was all about transfers and portal and how the committee dropped PSU so OSU could be in the playoffs. I appreciate the things the OP posts the majority of the time but found this thread to be a real lack of self awareness, considering
Lack of self awareness….. hmmmnnn🧐…not sure what that means?

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
ADVERTISEMENT