ADVERTISEMENT

Saquon contract talk.

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
New York's star running back reportedly turned down a contract worth $12 million per season.

"Barkley recently told the media he's not looking to "reset the market." but the report claims Barkley is looking for Christian Mcaffrey type money. ($16M average)," Dov Kleiman tweeted.

Reactions: NedFromYork
New York's star running back reportedly turned down a contract worth $12 million per season.

"Barkley recently told the media he's not looking to "reset the market." but the report claims Barkley is looking for Christian Mcaffrey type money. ($16M average)," Dov Kleiman tweeted.

Hope he jump cuts to the AFC. Then he and Micah meet in the Super Bowl next year.

I'd be shocked if he's playing for anyone other than the Giants next year...the big question is if it's with a new contract, or on the Franchise Tag.

Reactions: Obliviax
If there is one position that should try to get all the money it's a running back. Teams have no problem dumping a running back that never fully recovers from that tweak in week 5 or the wear and tear of a tough season.
It's a short shelf life and a dangerous position. You literally have to run full speed into gigantic athletic men play after play.

There was a rumor some time ago that the Bears may pursue him because they have a ton of cap space. I don't see that happening considering the Bears have many more pressing needs for their roster, but who knows.

Would love to see him end up somewhere with a strong oline but my guess would be with erial on saquon staying put one way or another. I think they know what they have there.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

I hope he gets to play with a great team with a great offensive line.

If there is one position that should try to get all the money it's a running back. Teams have no problem dumping a running back that never fully recovers from that tweak in week 5 or the wear and tear of a tough season.
It's a short shelf life and a dangerous position. You literally have to run full speed into gigantic athletic men play after play.

Same reason why a team should not pay it.

The franchise tag is a real possibility, but they also have to deal with signing Daniel Jones.
Even the non-exclusive tag for a QB is over $32 million next year, so Jones isn't a candidate for it. The non-exclusive tag for a RB is projected to be just over $10 million, and that's the route I'd take if I'm NY and you can't ink Saquon to a long term deal (and if someone else signs him, which I'd find highly unlikely, take the draft picks and run).

Even the non-exclusive tag for a QB is over $32 million next year, so Jones isn't a candidate for it. The non-exclusive tag for a RB is projected to be just over $10 million, and that's the route I'd take if I'm NY and you can't ink Saquon to a long term deal (and if someone else signs him, which I'd find highly unlikely, take the draft picks and run).
Jones absolutely is a candidate for the tag--that's been made very clear.

There's a good chance that tag goes to Daniel Jones.
There will have to be better options that Jones on a one-year rental north of $32 million.

And I don't know about "good". I'd certainly put a good chunk of $ on Jones not getting tagged (they'll likely sign him longer term).

I hope he gets to play with a great team with a great offensive line.
I’ve been praying the Chargers could make room for him. They need a back that player well between the 10’s. Plus he catches a ton of balls outta the backfield. Charger offense would be very special with him in backfield. Either that or I’d love to see the Chargers get TE Gesicki. He’d destroy opposing LBs and safeties in coverage.

There will have to be better options that Jones on a one-year rental north of $32 million.

And I don't know about "good". I'd certainly put a good chunk of $ on Jones not getting tagged (they'll likely sign him longer term).
There's a good chance that they'll sign him longer term but he absolutely will be tagged if they don't. We've seen lesser QBs be tagged. Giants made a huge mistake not picking up his option and they won't double down on that by losing him. He fits what Daboll wants in a QB. RBs are easier to replace. Notice how many teams are desperate for a QB.

I’ve been praying the Chargers could make room for him. They need a back that player well between the 10’s. Plus he catches a ton of balls outta the backfield. Charger offense would be very special with him in backfield. Either that or I’d love to see the Chargers get TE Gesicki. He’d destroy opposing LBs and safeties in coverage.
With Ekeler they're not spending that kind of money on Saquon. I also think they'll give Spiller more time to figure it. Everett is better than Gesicki.

I hope he doesn't maximize earnings, a few million is meaningless to him. Go to a team where he gets to play in a balanced offense with a good O-line and has a chance at a playoff run. He'll have a longer career and enjoy it more.
I agree.
Make millions from Hulu, Nike & Chunky Soup...Find a good team to win and play great on.
I think Marshall Faulk in this scenario. Pretty good in Indy, League MVP and Super Bowl winner on the Rams. If Saquon wants to win championships he needs to find a team he is an accessory on, not the feature be all, end all of the teams success. Amazing feature backs don't win championships, see Derrick Henry. Even the great Emmitt Smith was simply part of the Aikman, Novacek, Irvin, Harper machine.
You have to go back to 2014 to a team that won the super bowl riding a dominant running game in Marshawn Lynch with the Seahawks.
Hopefully Saquon has the vision to see this.

Reactions: Sullivan
Guy who I played ball with in college lives in Miami and says that the Dolphins are talking about signing Barkley to a 4 year deal. Obviously just talk until the actual free agent period happens

If Saquon leaves NY I would love to see him land in Buffalo. They need a quality RB who can also catch the football.
I think both he and Jones stay in NY. I don't necessarily think they should but I ultimately think they will because of Daboll.

Obviously he'd be a great additional for any team but I'd kind of like to see him end up in Miami (him in that offense is terrifying it Tua can stay healthy) or Kansas City. Wouldn't help my Steelers but it would be great for him.

There's a good chance that tag goes to Daniel Jones.
Could be, but my question would be "Why?" I realize that QB is necessarily the most important position on a football team, but am not at all convinced that Daniel Jones is the answer for the Giants. Maybe they could franchise tag him so that they have him for another year (rather than committing to a long term deal with him), and either draft a new QB or (better yet) work on upgrading their offensive line.

Could be, but my question would be "Why?" I realize that QB is necessarily the most important position on a football team, but am not at all convinced that Daniel Jones is the answer for the Giants. Maybe they could franchise tag him so that they have him for another year (rather than committing to a long term deal with him), and either draft a new QB or (better yet) work on upgrading their offensive line.
I think you kind of answered it. If they don't keep Jones they'll likely have to trade draft capital they desperately need to get someone like Carr or move up in the draft hoping they don't get a bust. Overpaying Jones for a year isn't a big deal.

Again, he’s my Chargers dream back. Provides good blocking on QB blitz, catches a ton of passes, and is good a chunk plays. Also like to see Gesicki added at TE. That offense would be best in NFL.

Last edited:
Again, he’s my Chargers dream back. Provided good blocking on QB blitz, catches a ton of passes, and is good a chunk plays. Also like to see Gesicki added at TE. That offense would be best in NFL.
You just want them because they're Penn State. The Chargers don't have a need for either. Everett > Gesicki. Barkley > Ekeler but Ekeler is a very good back that they're not going to chase Saquon. If Ekeler was a free agent maybe that would make sense but he's not.

Barkley also deserves better the Rivers 2.0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT