ADVERTISEMENT

Say Nice Things Only Thread

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
This team has a very real shot at 10-11 wins and a NY6 bowl this year A lot of underclassmen are playing and gaining valuable experience. While I’d like to win a national championship every year, I’m happy with the team and it’s future.

Please post positive things in this one positive thread.

(If you cannot stop yourself from being negative in even just one thread, then I thank you for telling me who (else) I should ignore.)

Ignoring the 2020 Covid season, here’s what I could find w.r.t top 10 FBS wins since 2016:

73 Clemson
72 Alabama
68 Ohio State
67 Georgia
63 Oklahoma
57 Michigan
55 Penn State
55 Wisconsin
54 LSU
53 UCF

Am I missing anyone? I have Penn State with the 7th most wins since 2016 (ignoring the 2020 Covid season).

Sure - it’d be great to be #1, but that’s pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Ignoring the 2020 Covid season, here’s what I could find w.r.t top 10 FBS wins since 2016:

73 Clemson
72 Alabama
68 Ohio State
67 Georgia
63 Oklahoma
57 Michigan
55 Penn State
55 Wisconsin
54 LSU
53 UCF

Am I missing anyone? I have Penn State with the 7th most wins since 2016 (ignoring the 2021 Covid season).

thanks for that data. Could I submit, it's not just about the wins and losses, it's also about how we lose. We've been up in the fourth quarter in at least 5 or 6 games over this period that we should have won, but end up losing for some stupid reason..can't get a first down, soft zone prevent defense, poor game plan, go for first down on fourth down...questionable substitutions, wtf time outs.
I didn't expect to win that game yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised at how close we came to winning..up by 5 with 9 minutes to go....instead of the screens to the right - where the DE was killing us all day - maybe same play to the left???? Maybe keep a back in to double team 44???? It's not like the guy just showed up in the 4th qtr, he was having a career game for the first 3 quarters.

Reactions: bison13
There were some positives, to be sure. We ran the ball adequately which is a major leap forward considering the last 2-3 years. The offensive line was not a total disaster. Ohio State has a couple of game breakers, #44 on defense and #18 on offense, but otherwise, we matched up with them fairly well. We scored over 30 points....and against Ohio state, look at the BIG 10 stats with MY, we rarely ever score 30 points and we have been over 30 the last two weeks. We got outcoached and outplayed big time in the 4th quarter, but we made OSU sweat for the majority of this game and that is a big deal considering Michigan a few weeks back. As has been said, a lot of good young talent on this roster. We have to get some more big depth at OL/DL/LB. Franklin struggles on the road, but I don't think we are that far away from winning one of these at home. In the 4th quarter we had Michigan(last year) and OSU(This year) down into the 4th quarter. Gotta find a way to finish, but some positives.

This team has a very real shot at 10-11 wins and a NY6 bowl this year A lot of underclassmen are playing and gaining valuable experience. While I’d like to win a national championship every year, I’m happy with the team and it’s future.

(If you cannot stop yourself from being negative in even just one thread, then I thank you for telling me who (else) I should ignore.)
Just one win away to clinch a non-losing season! Things are looking up!

Dani Dennis-Sutton is a Dude! Like watching him play!

thanks for that data. Could I submit, it's not just about the wins and losses, it's also about how we lose. We've been up in the fourth quarter in at least 5 or 6 games over this period that we should have won, but end up losing for some stupid reason..can't get a first down, soft zone prevent defense, poor game plan, go for first down on fourth down...questionable substitutions, wtf time outs.
I didn't expect to win that game yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised at how close we came to winning..up by 5 with 9 minutes to go....instead of the screens to the right - where the DE was killing us all day - maybe same play to the left???? Maybe keep a back in to double team 44???? It's not like the guy just showed up in the 4th qtr, he was having a career game for the first 3 quarters.
Are you implying having 86 come from other side of formation to block 44 on strip sack was destined to fail?

I think the OL appears much better than prior years. Running backs will be very good. Outside of rb and qb I don’t see a lot of reasons to be excited about youth. There are good individuals but I can’t say lb is loaded, de is loaded etc

I think the OL appears much better than prior years. Running backs will be very good. Outside of rb and qb I don’t see a lot of reasons to be excited about youth. There are good individuals but I can’t say lb is loaded, de is loaded etc
Really good point about individuals...there aren't too many good 'clusters' of players at specific positions...most notably on the front 7 on defense, and on the OL. Fashanu obviously is the best of the five on the OL...everyone else is ok/marginal. Yes, the OL has 'improved' as people have said here and throughout the season. But, they need a wayyy bigger uptick to get where we want to go. The nine deflected passes by OSU was ridiculous, and not to crush on Effner, but if he's the best you have after Caedan (who isn't good) at RT, that is absolutely egregious by JF. Getting manhandled annually by an elite DE is becoming old...Bosa's, Young, Hutchinson, now the OSU guy. If JF can find a way to recruit and DEVELOP the OL and DL like he has in other areas, then the playoffs should be a cinch. But, that is a tough task.

Reactions: psualt

73 Clemson
72 Alabama
68 Ohio State
67 Georgia
63 Oklahoma
57 Michigan
55 Penn State
55 Wisconsin
54 LSU
53 UCF

Am I missing anyone? I have Penn State with the 7th most wins since 2016 (ignoring the 2020 Covid season).

What a cherry picked bunch of crap. You start with Franklins arguably best two seasons in 16 and 17 yet ignore 14 and 15. Then you say let’s throw out 2020 because of Covid. You probably work in corporate America and are good spinning bullshit aren’t you.

I've been so busy this year I haven't had time to do my "Obli's Observations" but here is what I would have said about Saturday (and I haven't seen the game):

total yards: PSU 482, tOSU 452
Passing yards: 371, 354
Rushing yards: 111, 98
First downs: 24, 21
3rd Down Efficiency: 35.5%, 33%
Penalties: 6/50, 8/50

Turnovers: PSU 4, tOSU 0

there really isn't much else to be said. PSU played the game evenly with one of the best programs in the nation. They had some injuries up front and our 37 year old QB didn't take care of the ball. (I am OK with the strip sack but the INTs, jeesus). The defense wore down and the depth was apparent in Q4. In the end, you aren't going to win many games when you give up 3 INTs (one for a TD).

So, kudos to the kids for playing hard. PSU plays tOSU really hard but we always end up finding a way to lose. I am told that SC is the first QB to start and lose to tOSU for four straight years.

What a cherry picked bunch of crap. You start with Franklins arguably best two seasons in 16 and 17 yet ignore 14 and 15. Then you say let’s throw out 2020 because of Covid. You probably work in corporate America and are good spinning bullshit aren’t you.
I ignored the seasons before the team was back up to full scholarships again and I ignored the season that was initially cancelled and allowed players to sit out and for which PSU could barely field a team with true freshman walk-ons seeing considerable minutes.

I’m amazed Penn State went four seasons on sanctions (reduced scholarships, free transfers, no postseason, etc.) with all winning seasons. You think the coaches should be fired for somehow winning through that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
Dani Dennis-Sutton is a Dude! Like watching him play!
I was hoping for more from a 5* recruit even though he's a true freshman which was probably not a realistic expectation. That said, we should be good at DE for the next few years.

Sutton, Carter, King, King, Wheatley others in the secondary look like real players.

Need to pull in a big/big DT to allow our LBs to run......and another outside LB....maybe Rojas, and defense can be pretty good.

OL if Fashanu comes back, Tangwell, 77, we will need to find a C and OT.....perhaps Cornell Player slides to C ( I believe that he has 1 more year) and one of the young guys at OT....we could be ok. TE seems good, RB seems good.....need a speedster on the outside and hopefully Parker comes back along with some young players like Saunders and we could be pretty good on offense. Not far away...this last class can be a program changing class with Carter, Singleton, Allen, Allar, OL prospects........ I like that we are going after bigger OL, need the same on DL.

Rambling post sorry.

Were you the kid in school who always got his grade lowered because he couldn’t follow directions? Seems like it.

1) Team could finish regular season with 10 wins which is 2 wins above what was expected by odds makers and most here.

2) We did just go toe to toe with the #2 team who has more 5 stars than the entire conference combined. We were winning through 3+ quarters and that was with a big turn over disparity.

3) Those 10 wins would be with a ton of true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores in critical roles. And a ton of others in contributing roles with many of their roles growing. This bodes well for the future.

4) Our OL which was the weakness for years is playing much better and our top OL recruits have only just begun to hit the field with Tangwell who was actually out the last few. The best it seems are actually in next years freshman class.

5) You have only seen a glimpse of Allar and he does look good already as a true freshman. He could be very good by next season.

Personally shocked he leads team in sacks with very limited reps.
Saw a play earlier this year where he threw an offensive lineman out of his way and made the play.....not too many true freshmen in PSU history with the ability to do that on the defensive line. Bright future ahead!!

Reactions: psualt
I guess "only nice things" is relative

v1Mt0QV.png

This in spite of Penn State having two down years recently.

At 6-2, we're right where the more optimistic among us would have predicted. And should we win out, at 10-2, we would have to be considered among the most improved teams in the country.

"say only nice things" a tough concept for Mr Bullshit expert!!1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT