ADVERTISEMENT

Scathing yahoo article on rutgers joining big 10. Ouch. (link)

dwiz

Aug 4, 2002
Shots fired at Delany as well.

"On Nov. 19, 2012, Rutgers and Maryland formally accepted somewhat surprising invitations to join the Big Ten conference.

On that day, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany looked like Julia Roberts marrying Lyle Lovett, andJohn McCain selecting Sarah Palin as a running mate. Nobody could quite see the attraction.

Not yet three years after a day that will live in Big Ten infamy, the Rutgers part of the expansion equation looks even worse than it did then. Far worse. Of all the realignment maneuvers of the past five years, adding the Scarlet Knights is liking signing up for a lifetime case of poison ivy rash

Rutgers has suspended Kyle Flood three games after he contacted a faculty member over a player's grade. (AP)

This has been an absolute debacle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rutger...ues-to-drag-down-big-ten-010806500-ncaaf.html

Must add in this:

"But, hey, these are merely the most recent reasons why Rutgers has become the laughingstock of college athletics. The school has basically been on a negative roll ever since the Big Ten made its terrible error of inviting in the Knights."

Neither made sense. If you talk to ACC alums or fans, they are so glad to be rid of Maryland. Maryland always had a chip on their shoulder regarding UVA...UVA is better school. And now Maryland has the chip towards us....that display of bad sportsmanship before the game last year is exhibit #1. I wish neither school had been added.

"On Nov. 19, 2012, Rutgers and Maryland formally accepted somewhat surprising invitations to join the Big Ten conference.

On that day, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany looked like Julia Roberts marrying Lyle Lovett, andJohn McCain selecting Sarah Palin as a running mate. Nobody could quite see the attraction.

Not yet three years after a day that will live in Big Ten infamy, the Rutgers part of the expansion equation looks even worse than it did then. Far worse. Of all the realignment maneuvers of the past five years, adding the Scarlet Knights is liking signing up for a lifetime case of poison ivy rash

Rutgers has suspended Kyle Flood three games after he contacted a faculty member over a player's grade. (AP)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rutger...ues-to-drag-down-big-ten-010806500-ncaaf.html

Not trying to defend Flood here, but the article is loaded with hypocricy by focusing on what's transpired at Rutgers in the past few weeks while ignoring the academic joke that has become UNC as well as any given SEC school trying to get and keep a player eligible and how that has gone on for years. You also have 11 SEC schools ranked in the top 25 of most arrests in the past calendar year, all of which have more than Rutgers in spite of these incidents.

I was not really in favor of adding Rutgers since the school and its athletics really does nothing for my interest, but I understand why Delaney did it given the alternatives in this window. Regardless, if you're going to say Rutgers is a black eye for the conference, you should be dragging down the whole ACC over what has transpired at UNC. It's not a conference problem, it's an institutional problem.

Neither made sense. If you talk to ACC alums or fans, they are so glad to be rid of Maryland. Maryland always had a chip on their shoulder regarding UVA...UVA is better school. And now Maryland has the chip towards us....that display of bad sportsmanship before the game last year is exhibit #1. I wish neither school had been added.

Not to mention, Terp fans hated UNC, and really hated Duke. As an ACC alum/fan, I say good riddance. As a PSU fan, I say ugh.....

Reactions: BBrown
"He added Penn State, which was a boon until the Sandusky scandal brought down Joe Paterno and sent the school through a painful period of crisis."

Painful because of the university's corrupt "leadership". On the other hand, an active alumni base, including effective alumni-elected trustees, and legal action are bringing Joe back up where he belongs. And, 409.

Did anyone read the comments? One guy states that Rutgers and Maryland were admitted to the BIG because of....wait for it...Joe Paterno!

When my sister had cancer she really should have saved all the time and money on chemo and radiation and just had Joe lay hands on her....dude was omnipotent.

Yup, so it's *our* fault we added two bottom dwelling garbage athletics programs. Thanks Delaney!

I'm very happy with the additions. Maryland and Rutgers are about 10x more entertaining as an opponent as Minnesota and Indiana.

I'd rank both ahead of Iowa as well.

Michigan State is decent right now, but that game was extremely mediocre for years.

LdN
Well...OK....but the decision wasn't do we "Add Rutgers or do we add Indiana".

The choice was:

1 - Do we add Rutgers and Maryland
or
2 - Do we add someone else
or
3 - Do we stand pat

Given that THOSE were the options, I can't imagine a worse choice than Option #1

Besides football, PSU is better than Maryland at????
Really?

Good Lord....that is too much of a layup to even address.

But...here you go anyway: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/DIJune25.pdf

PSU:
Ladies' CC, Ladies' VB, Ladies' Soccer, Ladies' Swimming
Men's Cross Country, Men's Volleyball, Men's Gymnastics, Men's Swimming, Men's Indoor Track
Football, Wrestling, Fencing

MD:
Ladies' LAX, Ladies' Basketball, Ladies' Gymnastics, Ladies Indoor Track
Men's LAX, Men's Basketball

Learfield Points: PSU 1061 Points, 8th in Nation......MD 645 Points, 33rd in Nation

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited:
Besides football, PSU is better than Maryland at????

Everything. Except basketball and lacrosse. Penn State has won 92 total (76 regular season and 16 tournament) Big Ten Championships in at least a dozen different sports since joining the conference in 1992-1993. Here's a link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/May-2015-update-B1G-Championsh.pdf

You can chime in with Maryland's vast athletic accomplishments whenever you like (I couldn't find a similar list for Maryland....).

Reactions: lionbacker
Everything. Except basketball and lacrosse. Penn State has won 92 total (76 regular season and 16 tournament) Big Ten Championships in at least a dozen different sports since joining the conference in 1992-1993. Here's a link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/May-2015-update-B1G-Championsh.pdf

You can chime in with Maryland's vast athletic accomplishments whenever you like (I couldn't find a similar list for Maryland....).
Soccer
Are we talking sports? If so, I'll just lob up everything except basketball and women's basketball.
Lacrosse,Soccer,Womens Field Hockey and Terps Baseball has made it to the Super Regionals I believe 2 years in a row.

Well...OK....but the decision wasn't do we "Add Rutgers or do we add Indiana".

The choice was:

1 - Do we add Rutgers and Maryland
or
2 - Do we add someone else
or
3 - Do we stand pat

Given that THOSE were the options, I can't imagine a worse choice than Option #1

The worst option was option 3. The conferences are realigning and the Big Ten needed to move east. It was quite simple. The next step will be to add UVA and another ACC team, but Rutgers and Maryland were a good first salvo.

Adding someone else was also not an option. The league whiffed badly on Notre Dame in the 90's early 00s. The leagues goal seems to be to take over the ACC. Taking Maryland and Rutgers out of the east was a smart move.

Some of you apparently live in a PA / Midwest bubble.

The Big Ten is in a race with the SEC and was losing badly.

LdN

Reactions: pierremc

Norries Wilson takes over for Flood suspension, Flood and Hermann release statements (about an hour ago)
Scout.com

Soccer

Lacrosse,Soccer,Womens Field Hockey and Terps Baseball has made it to the Super Regionals I believe 2 years in a row.

You mean 'Men's Soccer'. And fine, you can be decent in those sports. Still, add very little to nothing to this conference. Should have stayed in the ACC.

The worst option was option 3. The conferences are realigning and the Big Ten needed to move east. It was quite simple. The next step will be to add UVA and another ACC team, but Rutgers and Maryland were a good first salvo.

Adding someone else was also not an option. The league whiffed badly on Notre Dame in the 90's early 00s. The leagues goal seems to be to take over the ACC. Taking Maryland and Rutgers out of the east was a smart move.

LdN

In what? Football? Or TV numbers? Would suggest we're as good or better in both - their dominance is at an end friend.

"The worst option was option 3. The conferences are realigning and the Big Ten needed to move east."

OK, that's a cliché that gets kicked around....but what specifically does the B1G gain from RU and MD that they didn't already have? TV markets? How much more attractive is the B1G to the NE TV markets with the adds of RU and MD?
The New York media markets (as one example) are going to be more attracted to a long-term B1G slate that dilutes the existing matchups by adding matchups of RU vs Indiana, RU vs Ohio State......MD vs Michigan, MD vs Illinois?
More "content" = more money. Obviously....anyone could see that. But how much extra $$$$ does that bring in? Enough to make it a better deal when all the existing B1G programs will have to take a 14% cut to include RU and MD to the party?
I doubt it.
Is the goal to bring in the most money (get "bigger"), or is the goal to be more profitable (more money per member)?
Generally, the CEO/Emperor/HMFIC LOVES the idea of building a bigger empire.....even when it means the "unwashed masses" end up paying more in taxes to assimilate the conquered lands (and are worse off for it). It is a recurring theme throughout history.

"It was quite simple. The next step will be to add UVA and another ACC team, but Rutgers and Maryland were a good first salvo."

Does this imply that adding RU and MD to the party, and now having to feed 17% MORE mouths, somehow makes the B1G more attractive to other potential "better" joiners down the road? Someone is gonna' have to 'splain that one to me.

"Adding someone else was also not an option."

Why not? If Temple was the only available "add"....would the B1G HAVE TO add them? What if it was UConn? Or Hofstra? AT some point (Personally, I think that point is WELL before RU should have even been considered) you gotta' say "WHOA".......if it doesn't accrete long-term it doesn't accrete. Cliches or not.

"The league whiffed badly on Notre Dame in the 90's early 00s. The leagues goal seems to be to take over the ACC."

Really? How many teams are going to be in this new "conference"?
With 14, we already have a situation where "interdivisional rivals" will only be playing each other home-and-home once every six years. Doesn't sound like much of a conference at all.
"Take over the ACC"? And then what......we'll see Nebraska, or Iowa, or Wisconsin come into Beaver Stadium once every 15 or twenty years? What would be the point of even pretending to be in the same conference?

"Taking Maryland and Rutgers out of the east was a smart move".

Agreed. Smart move for whatever conference got rid of them.

"The Big Ten is in a race with the SEC and was losing badly"

If the B1G was losing the race......carrying around another 50 pounds of dead weight ain't gonna' help.

Delaney and the boys shit the bed with RU/MD.

Why? IDK, but usually in these types of "bed-shitting" situations it comes down to a divergence of goals.

Most "emperors" love nothing more than expanding an "empire". Whether or not it was in the long-term fiscal interests of the members of the B1G, "expansion" certainly does enlarge an "empire".
That might be the point to consider in the starting the evaluation.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

LdN

If the big ten was in a race with the SEC and chose Maryland and Rutgers then it's losing badly by its own choice.

Reactions: NapaNit and bjf1984
Just another hack article.

The Big 10 will be crying all the way to the bank. One projection i saw had the B1G receiving $45 million per team in the next contract. That doesn't happen without Maryland and Rutgers. Also recruiting in the northeast has picked up for B1G schools. Adding Rutgers and Maryland will benefit all B1G schools.

The Big 10 will be crying all the way to the bank. One projection i saw had the B1G receiving $45 million per team in the next contract. That doesn't happen without Maryland and Rutgers. Also recruiting in the northeast has picked up for B1G schools. Adding Rutgers and Maryland will benefit all B1G schools.
We love ya' Al.

Seriously.....from the comparisons years ago between RU and USC (where RU was always the "better" program)....to your thoughts on the fiscal benefits causation of adding RU to the B1G.....it is refreshing to hear from you with you unbiased thoughts.

Some folks here may not be as familiar with your "TIC" history......but, for the rest of us, we enjoy your "KingAdBuck" form of irreverence. :)

When do we get the official RutgersAl prediction for Saturday? Love your twitter handle too btw

Reactions: sharkunit

Horse manure. To the extent that the first tier-rights contract comes anywhere near that per team yield, which will only be achieved in the last years of the contract if at all, it will be because of the general trend in contracts for sports properties in general (take a look at what NBC's new contract with the EPL will pay out). If the re-negotiated BTN rights agreement is any indicator, Maryland and Rutgers are losers economically.

Last edited:
Horse manure. To the extent that the first tier-rights contract comes anywhere near that per team yield, which will only be achieved in the last years of the contract if at all, it will be because of the general trend in contracts for sports properties in general (take a look at what NBC's new contract with the EPL will pay out). If the re-negotiated BTN rights agreement is any indicator, Maryland and Rutgers are losers economically.

Its like I snap my fingers and you come running.:p

Reactions: mn78psu83
Adding Rutgers was a terrible mistake. They will become a perennial doormat trying to directly recruit against the likes of PSU, OSU, UM, MSU.....

New Jersey is the Garden State for sure. Everyone BUT Rutgers goes there to pick the best recruits.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

No chip on shoulder regarding UVA..it is a very good school, we all know that. It's the bow tie, khaki pants dudes we like to mock.

The "display of sportsmanship" prior to the game last year was between the players and coaches on field during warmups....many MD players were recruited by Franklin, Donavan et al....lotta jawboning on field prior to game....

I do wish they shook hands though. Not the way I would have played it...but I am an old geezer and I do not understand to many 18 year olds these days....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT