ADVERTISEMENT

Screw NIL let schools buy recruits

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
If you're going to kill an amateur sport why not just pay the players and quit all the b**********. Why should chump's like me contribute to NIL. Let the rich alums buy players for the school. Next, why require paid players to be students. Not sure I'm going to be a fan of pro college FB.

That's kind of what's happening now. Schools like TAMU, Louisville, Miami and a few others are throwing huge money at recruits and just calling it NIL. It's a different age for CF

If you're going to kill an amateur sport why not just pay the players and quit all the b**********. Why should chump's like me contribute to NIL. Let the rich alums buy players for the school. Next, why require paid players to be students. Not sure I'm going to be a fan of pro college FB.
Great idea 🙄. Don’t bitch when we lose good talent.

What are you talking about? No one is forcing you to contribute to NIL. Organizations like Success with Honor are targeting rich alums. And if the money to play players came directly from the school, we would pay it in the form of increased ticket prices, parking fees, NLC dues, etc.

What does tic mean? If you meant TLC, my care is to keep amature sports just that. A $192,000 tuition, room and board seems like a good reward for playing football. I think they get spending money too.
I don't watch MLB, NBA, TENNIS and very little NFL. I don't miss them.
PS my total expenses, 1963-1967 for the same was about $24,000.
There are no adults in charge of collegiate sports now.
PS I am thrilled with the collapse of the TAMU professionals this year.²

What are you talking about? No one is forcing you to contribute to NIL. Organizations like Success with Honor are targeting rich alums. And if the money to play players came directly from the school, we would pay it in the form of increased ticket prices, parking fees, NLC dues, etc.
She doesn't like the changes . I don't either and feel less excitement for college sports than I did before.

What does tic mean? If you meant TLC, my care is to keep amature sports just that. A $192,000 tuition, room and board seems like a good reward for playing football. I think they get spending money too.
Unfortunately, this has been semi-professional football for decades. Joe did a good job of emphasizing academics, but make no mistake, even at Penn State it’s been transitioning out of amateur status since the 1980’s. It is what it is. It’s a huge revenue sport in the United States, and truly with the money that is there now, I have no problem with the players getting a piece of that.

Unfortunately, this has been semi-professional football for decades. Joe did a good job of emphasizing academics, but make no mistake, even at Penn State it’s been transitioning out of amateur status since the 1980’s. It is what it is. It’s a huge revenue sport in the United States, and truly with the money that is there now, I have no problem with the players getting a piece of that.
Much is true , but I don't like it. I wouldn't mind if these schools dropped the sports but they won't.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
If you were at PSU in the mid 60s your expenses were nowhere near $24,000 unless you brought a house too.

tic means tongue in cheek. As a joke.

I know you weren’t joking. And the way this NIL is not being enforced it pretty much is a pro sport now. Schools are just paying recruits to show up. Might as well be honest about it and make it all legal.

tic means tongue in cheek. As a joke.

I know you weren’t joking. And the way this NIL is not being enforced it pretty much is a pro sport now. Schools are just paying recruits to show up. Might as well be honest about it and make it all legal.
It's worse than pro sports. They have salary caps. This is just the wild west.

Reactions: indoorgolf
Much is true , but I don't like it. I wouldn't mind if these schools dropped the sports but they won't.
I truly believe that CFB has jumped the shark and we are teetering somewhere around peak-CFB (truthfully, peak major college sports). As I've mentioned before, amateurism has an appeal. Professionalizing of the Olympics has contributed to their ratings demise. Watching the same professionals play hockey in the NHL on Tuesday and the Olympics on Friday is not very interesting.
It will probably take a few years to fully net itself out, but as the playoff comes into existence, Super-conferences solidify, transfer portal(aka free-agency) grows, and NIL codifies itself into CFB culture, I think interest will wane. Who won the NBA G-league last year? The AAA baseball title? I don't know either, because no one cares about the minors. As CFB looks more like a lower-tier professional league, the appeal of amateurism declines.

I fully believe that major college basketball will eventually cease to exist and be replaced by developmental leagues. The model is already well established throughout the rest of the world for basketball, soccer, rugby, etc. Football is a different animal because the costs are so much higher, so I don't think a professional developmental system is a foregone conclusion, but I think we can definitely see the overall money associated with CFB decline significantly and I think we will see further stratification of a small "money tier" of CFB, but most returning to something resembling CFB of 30-40 years ago.
The moves the B1G is making and expectation that the B1G and SEC will effectively continue expansion and take over CFB is an interesting wrinkle. I think it will delay/stem the decline but I think it may be the start of the "money tier" I reference above. As that happens, the rest of CFB will quickly become a 2nd tier similar to 30-40 years ago, accelerated with players portaling over to the B1G/SEC. In this scenario, it will also eventually become necessary to shed the permanent football underclass. Schools like Kentucky, Indiana, Vanderbilt, MD, NW, etc will no longer have a place in the money-tier (especially once basketball is gone as a revenue sport.) Culturally, I also question whether PSU will fit in this new "money tier." I feel fairly confident that the alums with money today, who largely support the idea of "success with Honor" will not become Nevin Shapiros. The question will be whether a new guard of PSU alums/supporters, willing to throw money around, will rise quick enough to compete with the legacy "bagman" culture that has now been legalized and codified into "amateur" athletics.

I truly believe that CFB has jumped the shark and we are teetering somewhere around peak-CFB (truthfully, peak major college sports). As I've mentioned before, amateurism has an appeal. Professionalizing of the Olympics has contributed to their ratings demise. Watching the same professionals play hockey in the NHL on Tuesday and the Olympics on Friday is not very interesting.
It will probably take a few years to fully net itself out, but as the playoff comes into existence, Super-conferences solidify, transfer portal(aka free-agency) grows, and NIL codifies itself into CFB culture, I think interest will wane. Who won the NBA G-league last year? The AAA baseball title? I don't know either, because no one cares about the minors. As CFB looks more like a lower-tier professional league, the appeal of amateurism declines.

I fully believe that major college basketball will eventually cease to exist and be replaced by developmental leagues. The model is already well established throughout the rest of the world for basketball, soccer, rugby, etc. Football is a different animal because the costs are so much higher, so I don't think a professional developmental system is a foregone conclusion, but I think we can definitely see the overall money associated with CFB decline significantly and I think we will see further stratification of a small "money tier" of CFB, but most returning to something resembling CFB of 30-40 years ago.
The moves the B1G is making and expectation that the B1G and SEC will effectively continue expansion and take over CFB is an interesting wrinkle. I think it will delay/stem the decline but I think it may be the start of the "money tier" I reference above. As that happens, the rest of CFB will quickly become a 2nd tier similar to 30-40 years ago, accelerated with players portaling over to the B1G/SEC. In this scenario, it will also eventually become necessary to shed the permanent football underclass. Schools like Kentucky, Indiana, Vanderbilt, MD, NW, etc will no longer have a place in the money-tier (especially once basketball is gone as a revenue sport.) Culturally, I also question whether PSU will fit in this new "money tier." I feel fairly confident that the alums with money today, who largely support the idea of "success with Honor" will not become Nevin Shapiros. The question will be whether a new guard of PSU alums/supporters, willing to throw money around, will rise quick enough to compete with the legacy "bagman" culture that has now been legalized and codified into "amateur" athletics.
Everything you say has merit and the majority will play along. Look at our major sports? I don't watch baseball these days due to the expansion of playoffs. and I remember when the series mi8ght have been the biggest draw on TV. As for the other three I have zero interest except for some NFL playoffs. And I loved watching all of these sports from early 70s to late 90s. I just stopped caring. for me and PSU it's been happening lately.
When the pay players took off my kids were still paying on student loans. I found it ironic how they weren't getting screwed somehow but players were. And regular students feed the university much better than athletes when we look at financial aid and student loans.

Perhaps the future will see the pro teams sponsoring various universities. Or creating a fund that is distributed amount various conferences to subsidize NIL. Cheaper than starting their own developmental league and keeps the gravy training rolling down the tracks.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Perhaps the future will see the pro teams sponsoring various universities. Or creating a fund that is distributed amount various conferences to subsidize NIL. Cheaper than startitheir own developmental league @nd keeps the gravy training rolling down the tracks.
Most likely.

Despite the fact the major college football is transitioning out of amateur status, it seems more players are taking academics seriously than in years past. There seems to be many players graduating in 3 years, and it seems like less stars are sitting out due to being academically ineligible.

It seems that in general, high school sports are being dominated by the wealthier kids whose parents can afford to send them to expensive camps, clinics, etc. Even in sports like basketball and football that used to be dominated by lower class kids.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
So this is where I wonder if college football (other sports) would have made the players paid employees, they could have had various performance clauses in their employment contracts, class attendance, other things. Plus they could have engaged in collective bargaining and then the colleges could have had more control NIL and transfer etc as would be defined in a CBA. There is so much money in college football to call it amateur is really naive at this point. And there is enough money to set up salary/ employment framework for the players.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Yup, they have rules when players can change teams. Contracts, free agency, releases and waiver wires. The portal is no holds barred. Just wait until we have a kid play for 4 different schools over his career.

Yup, they have rules when players can change teams. Contracts, free agency, releases and waiver wires. The portal is no holds barred. Just wait until we have a kid play for 4 different schools over his career.
West Virginia's QB JT Daniels is about to be that kid. He's announced he's going in the portal to what will be his 4th school.

18-19: USC
20-21: UGA
22: WVU
23: TBD

Reactions: diontechristmas
So should players be compensated for the use of their NIL or should other entities not be permitted to use them?

Tuition for in-state students was $125 per term when I enrolled in 1966. Room and board was under $1000 per year. You weren't a math major, I take it.
I remember my tuition as $450/trimester. Tuition was not raised as I remember. Room and board at about $300/mo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT