ADVERTISEMENT

Seeing reports that Donald Sutherland passed away at age 88

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
JmU7.gif

I'll always remember him as the original Hawkeye in the movie MASH. Just a classic role

I'll always remember him as the original Hawkeye in the movie MASH. Just a classic role
He was an actor who seemingly always was working, and the thing is that, unlike other actors who work constantly, he mostly appeared in really good movies. Ironically, the first four Hunger Games movies were on AMC the last two days, and he was so good in them.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Just some of the movies that I remember him in are Kelly's Heros, MASH, Animal House, The Great Train Robbery, Eye of the Needle, JFK, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, all of the Hunger Games. What an ecletic and great career.
I have a special affinity for, "The Dirty Dozen".

Reactions: rrdd2021
I met him briefly at the United Premier lounge at LGA about 20 years ago. We were all trying to escape from New York before a snowstorm. He was a good dude based on our interaction.

One of my favorite actors. Whether it was small roles like in Animal House, Backdraft and such, or the bigger roles like Dirty Dozen, Kelly’s Heroes, etc always liked him.

^ Wouldn't say that TDD was one of his larger roles as he played a relatively minor character (actually got an extra memorable scene when another actor felt that the scene was right for his character).

While minor, his portrayal in TDD was what got him his breakout role in MASH.

Interestingly enough, Sutherland and Gould spent a better part of filming trying to get Altman canned as they didn't understand what he was trying to do and thought that he was going to ruin their young careers.

Sutherland would never work again with Altman but Gould would (guess writing an apology letter helped).

Got a nice paycheck for Animal House since the studio wouldn't back it unless they got a star; rest of the cast were unknowns and Belushi, while known for SNL, was not yet a film star), whereas for MASH, Altman entirely hired unknowns in order to get the film under budget and to avoid scrutiny from the studio.

Last edited:
Just some of the movies that I remember him in are Kelly's Heros, MASH, Animal House, The Great Train Robbery, Eye of the Needle, JFK, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, all of the Hunger Games. What an ecletic and great career.
I also totally forgot him in Ordinary People.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT