ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question

Can one be a fan AND a troll for the same team? Or by definition is a troll not a fan?
To me a troll is a person who posts just to start arguments or to get a reaction, disrupts the normal flow of the Board, and creates chaos for their own agenda or enjoyment. As to your question, if I am a true Penn State fan, but I don't like Coach Franklin and think he should be replaced, thereby making Penn State a better football team, I might troll on this subject, hoping it might somehow hasten his departure.

I'm guessing you are talking about Lionrevival!? I understand that fans don't have to be homers and pump nothing but sunshine and flowers up your butt about their team. I am a PSU alum and a huge fan of all the sports teams and still have moments when I am negative about players, coaches, and athletic admins. However this guy is negative 100% of the time and tries to lecture everyone on why he is right and you are wrong. He (she?) is not a troll by the classic definition and I believe there is a possibility he could be a PSU "fan", but reading the same negativity over and over and over again gets old really fast.

Reactions: fairgambit
Here's one modern definition of a troll:

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

Reactions: fairgambit
Here's one modern definition of a troll:

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevance to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
Damn, that's half the Board.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT