ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Session 3 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

He wrestles the edge and actually I do thing they call him. The whining on here is hilarious as if the whole world is against us. Did you not see the two Dean matches??? We got the benefit of the doubt big time. At least have some perspective.
There’s edge wrestling and then there’s flat out stalling. I don’t opine publicly about it much but I HATE when a guy presses for 6.5, manhandles a guy who spent the whole time turtling, who then gets dinged for stalling in the last 30 seconds when his opponent suddenly acts like he’s been pressing all match. I guess I just hate stalling as a rule. I wish it was less subjective to the official.

He wrestles the edge and actually I do thing they call him. The whining on here is hilarious as if the whole world is against us. Did you not see the two Dean matches??? We got the benefit of the doubt big time. At least have some perspective.
If my bitching about clowns not calling stalling was limited to PSU matches, whining would be an accurate description.
The clowns don't call stalling across the board, and there are many more kids from other programs screwed by pathetic officiating efforts centered around stalling. However, I certainly appreciate your critique. Maybe come around a little more often and participate in more wrestling conversations, instead of limiting yourself to post season board critiques.

Very solid in all three positions. Good athlete. Keeps a good stance and I imagine he gives Nick a very good match, but I’d be a bit surprised if Lee didn’t win something like 4-2 or 5-3.
I really was hoping they found a way to push Seabass/Eierman into the 4/5 spot and gave Woods a 3. Even after the Willits pin fiasco.

There’s edge wrestling and then there’s flat out stalling. I don’t opine publicly about it much but I HATE when a guy presses for 6.5, manhandles a guy who spent the whole time turtling, who then gets dinged for stalling in the last 30 seconds when his opponent suddenly acts like he’s been pressing all match. I guess I just hate stalling as a rule. I wish it was less subjective to the official.
The shame of it, if they don't spell it out in black and white, most don't seem to have the wherewithal to use subjectivity as a measuring tool to figure it out. Since all of these guys did wrestle you would think they would have a feel for whether something is stalling or not.

Cael's record in the semis at PSU: 44-4

0-6 is not going to happen.
@El-Jefe - you were very prescient 5-6 years ago when you posited that a kid already nicknamed “Bull” in high school because of his punishing, straight—ahead style might have an issue becoming transcendent in college. Not a lot of new technique learned during his time in college

We might see a repeat with Patrick Kennedy and Paddy Gallagher - both bruisers at places not known for talent development at those weights per se

Reactions: dsites52
If my bitching about clowns not calling stalling was limited to PSU matches, whining would be an accurate description.
The clowns don't call stalling across the board, and there are many more kids from other programs screwed by pathetic officiating efforts centered around stalling. However, I certainly appreciate your critique. Maybe come around a little more often and participate in more wrestling conversations, instead of limiting yourself to post season board critiques.

You call the above a conversation? What exactly did you contribute about actual wrestling except screaming the refs suck? Brooks wrestling Hidlay last year will help him tremendously. Again Hidlay will wrestle the edge of the circle and try to get to the third period just like last year It is up to Aaron to stalk him differently and I do believe he will get the stall call early as I believe our coaches will be in the ref’s ear. It is going to be tough for Aaron to change levels as Hidlay basically will stay on the ground. He will need to change directions and get to the side.

The shame of it, if they don't spell it out in black and white, most don't seem to have the wherewithal to use subjectivity as a measuring tool to figure it out. Since all of these guys did wrestle you would think they would have a feel for whether something is stalling or not.
There certainly seems to be a lack of tracking action in the match as far as stalling goes.

One thing I will say, if a guy is the aggressor for 6.5 minutes and earns a lead and the other guy did nothing, he earned the right to go sit in the third row for the last 30. It just doesn't get called that way.

Woods is the “real” deal. Nick got him 6-3 in the scuffle when woods was redshirting. This tournament, he’s got 3 bonus point wins. His coach might know a thing or two about how Nick wrestles. It’ll be a tough one, I’m sure.

Very solid in all three positions. Good athlete. Keeps a good stance and I imagine he gives Nick a very good match, but I’d be a bit surprised if Lee didn’t win something like 4-2 or 5-3.
Was decked by Willits in dual and then woods beat Willits soundly in the PAC tourney.

Reactions: RandyL
I think Nick has the perfect style to slow Woods down. Great position and always moving forward under control. Doesn’t take bad shots which will limit Woods counters. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Woods try to go for something big. I think Nick wins 7-3.

I’m ROARing to find out who just might have the stats on that…
It's an amazing statistic. As far as I can tell, since 2016, PSU is 24-1 in NCAA semi-final bouts. That's ridiculous. The one loss I could find was Nick Lee. (He was 7th seed.)
You guys can fill in the blanks with the 24.

Reactions: mcpat
Aaron Brooks and Real Woods are the only two wrestlers in the tournament to win all their matches and to win them all by bonus.

Think Zane had him in the scuffle when he was a rfs freshman

It's an amazing statistic. As far as I can tell, since 2016, PSU is 24-1 in NCAA semi-final bouts. That's ridiculous. The one loss I could find was Nick Lee. (He was 7th seed.)
You guys can fill in the blanks with the 24.
An earlier post claimed that Cael is 44-4 in semis. That's what ... 91 plus percent. And 24-1 since 2016 would be 96 percent.

You call the above a conversation? What exactly did you contribute about actual wrestling except screaming the refs suck? Brooks wrestling Hidlay last year will help him tremendously. Again Hidlay will wrestle the edge of the circle and try to get to the third period just like last year It is up to Aaron to stalk him differently and I do believe he will get the stall call early as I believe our coaches will be in the ref’s ear. It is going to be tough for Aaron to change levels as Hidlay basically will stay on the ground. He will need to change directions and get to the side.
I wasn't trying to have a conversation. I was correcting you!

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Woods is the “real” deal. Nick got him 6-3 in the scuffle when woods was redshirting. This tournament, he’s got 3 bonus point wins. His coach might know a thing or two about how Nick wrestles. It’ll be a tough one, I’m sure.
Koll is in his 2nd year as HC of Stanford. Looks like they are on a upward trajectory, I'd say one of the most interesting finals match of the tourney.

Reactions: mcpat
Zero time semi-finalist or finalist. He never initiated another offensive attack after the reversed TD.
"Bull" my ass! More like an overrated "Hefer" with his eyes to close together! Don't ever mention him in the same breath as Vincenzo Joesph! His matches with IMAR were legendary!

I just watched the Brucki/Cardenas match. Cardenas is string as hell! I couldn't belive how he was tossing Brucki around! Brucki is built like a brick shithouse.

He was a top recruit and always highly regarded. But this year is his first on the podium.

Nick beat him at the Scuffle a few years ago, something like 6-3. I'd expect something similar.
I am nervous about this one. Real looks like a terror this year. I hope nick is ready for him. Looks fast AND strong.

It would be absolutely flabbergasting to anyone who has watched college wrestling for the last decade.
I've watched it for longer than you've been alive. I clearly stated it won't happen, but we do have 6 tough matches. First and foremost "writers" like you should read.

Gee, that is something new and different. The kid should have been DQed for stalling in his match against Carr.
I couldn't agree more and when are they going to make Will Lewan wrestle? Generally, I feel the refs have left the stalling go more this year than in any of the past few years.

I've watched it for longer than you've been alive. I clearly stated it won't happen, but we do have 6 tough matches. First and foremost "writers" like you should read.
I have never understood making excruciatingly stupid comments and then “backing them up” by claiming some kind of expertise based on age. Shouldn’t you know better?

Reactions: dsites52
You also said it wouldn’t be a total shocker. Which, you’re entitled to speak for yourself, but that just isn’t true for the overwhelming majority of people. If Penn State went 0-6 it would be the number one story tonight among wrestling fans.

wow cass and Parris go down.....

this tournament is so brutal and toug

Wow, Crusher. That was quite a revelation!

You know almost as little about wrestling as you do about football.
I said last week there would be a lot of upsets but then was reminded that happens every year. What I did mean is that there would be more than usual and I wasn't disappointed. I can't believe some of the matches we have seen and a ton of sv matches especially for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT