ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Williams wants to be President of PSU

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
LINK

haven't had time to go through and fact check this interview, but that tidbit made me laugh.

a guy so far up Fina's backside wants to run PSU.
laugh.r191677.gif

For what it's worth, when he was asked why here was his response:

"Well my father went to Penn State. He was one of just 12 black students at Penn State. They were all black men, all black athletes. They couldn't live on campus. Despite all that I grew up loving Penn State. I went to Penn State. What I found that's really neat there is the Morrill Act of 1862, which made Penn State a land grant institution. It was created to provide a quality affordable education to the sons and daughters of the working class. So if we're think about the American dream and the next generation doing better than the current generation then a fundamental piece of that would be education. Penn State was founded just for that mission. Not to be like a little boutique, Swarthmore nice college. Like Lafayette or Bucknell. It was supposed to be like a Sears and Roebuck so the sons and daughters of the working class could send their kids there and the next generation could do better. Just for a lot of reasons in my opinion, it would be really cool. You could affect a lot of education opportunity a lot of economic opportunity."

What??? During what years was his father at PSU?

Sounds kinda bogus.

That's Seth the politician, the PSU student body Prez I knew

DO NOT TRUST A DAMN THING HE SAYS.

I will guarantee you he is a snake. The current BOT loves him -- enough said.

Re: 1940 then off to WWII , Back after service, finished in 1948

Originally posted by NorCalcLion:

ran track. Doubt there were only 12 blacks on campus
According to this website (http://blackhistory.psu.edu/timeline/lincoln_hall_becomes_the_center_of_colored_life_at_penn_state), in 1940 Lincoln Hall on Barnard Street became the hub of African-American life at Penn State and functioned as somewhat of a dormitory for African-American students. According to that link, Lincoln Hall could house 6 to 8 students, which "represented about half of the colored students on campus during the 1940s."

Re: What??? During what years was his father at PSU?

Well - Seth was born in 1967 which means his parents were probably 20-30 around then (guessing). That would put his dad in school likely in the early 60's maybe?

I read where PSU admitted its first black student in 1899.

Seems unlikely it took them 41 years to crack the fist dozen:)

Originally posted by psu00:
Well - Seth was born in 1967 which means his parents were probably 20-30 around then (guessing). That would put his dad in school likely in the early 60's maybe?
Williams' father Rufus, per another poster, attended PSU from 1940-1948, with his attendance broken up by service in World War II.

Missed that since he posted it while I was typing my post. Thanks though.

I am surprised, too, but then again. its not my history.

that is quite a story.

Originally posted by Raffycorn:
For what it's worth, when he was asked why here was his response:

"Well my father went to Penn State. He was one of just 12 black students at Penn State. They were all black men, all black athletes. They couldn't live on campus. Despite all that I grew up loving Penn State. I went to Penn State. What I found that's really neat there is the Morrill Act of 1862, which made Penn State a land grant institution. It was created to provide a quality affordable education to the sons and daughters of the working class. So if we're think about the American dream and the next generation doing better than the current generation then a fundamental piece of that would be education. Penn State was founded just for that mission. Not to be like a little boutique, Swarthmore nice college. Like Lafayette or Bucknell. It was supposed to be like a Sears and Roebuck so the sons and daughters of the working class could send their kids there and the next generation could do better. Just for a lot of reasons in my opinion, it would be really cool. You could affect a lot of education opportunity a lot of economic opportunity."
He's right about this. Not that I would trust him. As a politician, you know he's lying because his lips are moving.....

He's going to be disappointed when he sees the coffers have been drained. *

nm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT