ADVERTISEMENT

Shot a groundhog in the front field at 5:40.

Within about 10 minutes, at least a dozen buzzards/turkey vultures swooped down and began to rip him up. I always joke that when they hear the gun crack on this property, it's like a dinner bell for them. But this was ridiculous.
giphy.gif

They were only here about 10,15 minutes then my neighbor started shooting targets at his house and they left. Went down there, and the entrails are gone. Just like that.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Within about 10 minutes, at least a dozen buzzards/turkey vultures swooped down and began to rip him up. I always joke that when they hear the gun crack on this property, it's like a dinner bell for them. But this was ridiculous.
This must have been a historic shot for you since you started a thread about it.

.308 Win. My deer rifle. Kills em pretty dead.

Shoot a mans gun you urban city fella!

Come shoot my Marlin 1895 BIG GAME BRUSH GUN!

18 1/2" barrel SS 45/70

The Marlin website shows a picture of a moose, a bear, and an elk sir next to my gun! You getting the picture??

Why yours is a toy compared to mine Dem!

Mine will blow a hole in you twice sir.

Even when you miss you don't really miss if ya know what I mean.

:):):):):)

Shoot a mans gun you urban city fella!

Come shoot my Marlin 1895 BIG GAME BRUSH GUN!

18 1/2" barrel SS 45/70

The Marlin website shows a picture of a moose, a bear, and an elk sir next to my gun! You getting the picture??

Why yours is a toy compared to mine Dem!

Mine will blow a hole in you twice sir.

Even when you miss you don't really miss if ya know what I mean.

:):):):):)
That's a real nice gun for showing you buddies at work, and having your picture taken when you dress up like the Marlboro man, but I intend to kill things, not pretend I'm John Wayne. :)

When I lived in southern Lancaster County, I got permission to hunt groundhogs on a nearby Amish farm. I asked the farmer what I should do with the groundhogs I shot... let then lie where they fell, drop back in the hole, etc. The Amish farmer said to bring it back so he could feed to his dogs. I noticed that there was a bowl of what looked like watery mush in the dog's feed bowls, and thought that they probably deserved a little protein.

When I shot the first groundhog I carried it back and knocked on the front door to ask where to put it. The woman told me to just throw it in the front yard. I tossed the groundhog into the yard, turned, and started walking down the lane to the main road. Almost immediately, I heard the sound of these dogs devouring the groundhog. It was something out of a horror movie. I didn't turn around, but could hear these two off-white Pomeranians, growling, fighting over the groundhog... probably pulling its limbs off and tearing open its abdominal cavity to feast on it's guts.

The moral of the story is that nature, and Farmers, do not typically waste anything.

When I lived in southern Lancaster County, I got permission to hunt groundhogs on a nearby Amish farm. I asked the farmer what I should do with the groundhogs I shot... let then lie where they fell, drop back in the hole, etc. The Amish farmer said to bring it back so he could feed to his dogs. I noticed that there was a bowl of what looked like watery mush in the dog's feed bowls, and thought that they probably deserved a little protein.

When I shot the first groundhog I carried it back and knocked on the front door to ask where to put it. The woman told me to just throw it in the front yard. I tossed the groundhog into the yard, turned, and started walking down the lane to the main road. Almost immediately, I heard the sound of these dogs devouring the groundhog. It was something out of a horror movie. I didn't turn around, but could hear these two off-white Pomeranians, growling, fighting over the groundhog... probably pulling its limbs off and tearing open its abdominal cavity to feast on it's guts.

The moral of the story is that nature, and Farmers, do not typically waste anything.
Is a Pomeranian bigger than a groundhog?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I grew up on a farm....we used to shot them with .22's and an occasional 3006. we used to trap them too. they used to make a mess of the corn fields.

JpuzoR2.gif
7mm with ballistic tips at 300 yds. is much more fun!

I've shot them with about every kind of gun there is, including a 12 Ga once in my back yard, but I just want em dead now, and I shoot my deer rifle better than my other guns.

I got one of those break - barrel pellet rifles at Dick's that supposedly has a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps.
I live in a neighborhood, so I don't like to use a shotgun. It does kill the hogs.
Sometimes need multiple shots, though.

I got one of those break - barrel pellet rifles at Dick's that supposedly has a muzzle velocity of 1350 fps.
I live in a neighborhood, so I don't like to use a shotgun. It does kill the hogs.
Sometimes need multiple shots, though.
Hell of an air rifle as hogs are tuff skinned critters.

Used to hunt them with a buddy and a 220 Swift. Shooting at 300-400 yards. Couldn't even see them with out glassing them. Fun stuff!

It's no different than when I disturb the soil around my house and the Robins are eagerly waiting to see what I unearthered.

It's the "Ciricular Cycle of Life" :)

Last edited:
I always shoot squirrels from my back porch, watch them drop, and they are usually gone the next morning, though it sometimes takes 2 days. I think it is fox or coyote that pick up my squirrels.
Only taken out a couple groundhogs, but many many squirrels.

In the good ole days before marriage and kids a group of us would go out west on prairie dog hunts. There'd be all sorts of hawks an eagles watching us and waiting for us to leave to go pick up the scraps

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT