ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP but Allar got bumped up to highest rated '22 player on offense

PSUQBKeeper

Dec 11, 2016

2022 Top247 update: New 5-stars and pre-Early Signing Period tweaks

TOP QUARTERBACKS RISE

And deservedly so. The combination of continued stellar on-field performance and position value justifies the ascension of Drew Allar, Cade Klubnik, Conner Weigman, and Ty Simpson, the top four quarterbacks in the class. Allar, a Penn State commit, is now the highest-ranked offensive player in the 2022 cycle at No. 3 overall.

The big-framed Medina (Ohio) standout possesses the physical tools, playmaking instincts, off-schedule creativity, and on-field production to lead the QB class with a five-star 99 rating. Clemson commit Klubnik also ascends to five-star status and No. 16 overall. Weigman, committed to Texas A&M, moves up into the top 25 as the highest four-star player in this update, while Simpson (Alabama) reaches the mid-thirties as a high four-star himself. Each of the four quarterbacks rose at least 10 spots

They sign I'm a happy man. Frankly, I want the entire class to sign, but it starts with these guys. They commit, the rest likely stay the course. They bail... look out.

I know everyone got their panties out of joint when osu began courting Allar. Get ready, because if um slams iowa and beats it's first round opponent in the foursome brawl... i fully expect harbaugh to come hard after Allar. He had no shot before... at that point, he's earned a place at the table.

We're about to find out whether winning is really important or not to impressionable high school kids. I've been told it isn't.... hoping those folks know more than others.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
They sign I'm a happy man. Frankly, I want the entire class to sign, but it starts with these guys. They commit, the rest likely stay the course. They bail... look out.

I know everyone got their panties out of joint when osu began courting Allar. Get ready, because if um slams iowa and beats it's first round opponent in the foursome brawl... i fully expect harbaugh to come hard after Allar. He had no shot before... at that point, he's earned a place at the table.

We're about to find out whether winning is really important or not to impressionable high school kids. I've been told it isn't.... hoping those folks know more than others.

McNamara is back next year and they have former 5 star true freshman McCarthy (rated higher than Allar in the composite) on deck. Not sure that's all that attractive a situation for him. Here he's basically guaranteed to be starting in 2023 and could be starting day 1 next season if things pan out. At UM he's potentially looking at 2025 before seeing the field if McCarthy is as good as advertised.

Considering that signing day is 2 weeks before the playoff semifinal games it's safe to say with 100% certainty that Harbaugh and UM won't have a playoff win to use as recruiting leverage. Both Allar and Singleton have said they plan to sign in December and enroll early.

Considering that signing day is 2 weeks before the playoff semifinal games it's safe to say with 100% certainty that Harbaugh and UM won't have a playoff win to use as recruiting leverage. Both Allar and Singleton have said they plan to sign in December and enroll early.

With the portal does signing really matter that much? it not like you lock them down for long if things don't go like the recruit plans.

How can Allar be the best offensive player in the country but still only be rated 4 stars by rivals?

Reactions: royboy
How can Allar be the best offensive player in the country but still only be rated 4 stars by rivals?
This is why I only pay attention to the 247 Composite rating as they average all of the different recruiting ratings by the different services together. Who really knows which service is correct on any HS kid ? I've attached it below.

Reactions: mdking001
This is why I only pay attention to the 247 Composite rating as they average all of the different recruiting ratings by the different services together. Who really knows which service is correct on any HS kid ?

Rivals pulls Allar's ratings down. 247 has him #3 overall, which is higher than anybody else. On3 has him at #11, ESPN at #36, and Rivals at #195.

Good enough for the composite of #72 overall -- #7 QB overall. I suspect that will rise a bit before it's all said and done.

Sometimes, 247 likes our kids more than the industry average. Allar is a good example. Sometimes they don't -- DDS is #93 per 247, but a composite of #47 because Rivals loves him. It all sorta balances out. And why the composite is the way to go.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Rivals pulls Allar's ratings down. 247 has him #3 overall, which is higher than anybody else. On3 has him at #11, ESPN at #36, and Rivals at #195.

Good enough for the composite of #72 overall -- #7 QB overall. I suspect that will rise a bit before it's all said and done.

Sometimes, 247 likes our kids more than the industry average. Allar is a good example. Sometimes they don't -- DDS is #93 per 247, but a composite of #47 because Rivals loves him. It all sorta balances out. And why the composite is the way to go.
Yeah, Rivals' ranking is ridiculous considering all of the other services have him - at least - in the top 40 overall. In reality, any kid ranked in the top 100 to 150 is a bigtime HS recruit and catch for any school

UM has no shot at getting Allar.

Recruiting fanatics realize that this bump in ranking does NOT in fact make him a better football player, right? If his ranking falls to #50 tomorrow, he's still got the same skillset, right? Sometimes I think recruiting folks don't see it that way...

Reactions: Cpeplion
Recruiting fanatics realize that this bump in ranking does NOT in fact make him a better football player, right? If his ranking falls to #50 tomorrow, he's still got the same skillset, right? Sometimes I think recruiting folks don't see it that way...
looks good though, in particular for other recruits

Many NFL experts now have Mac Jones as the best rookie QB. Ahead of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance. All of them taken before him. At the end of a college career, they still can not get it right.

Many NFL experts now have Mac Jones as the best rookie QB. Ahead of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance. All of them taken before him. At the end of a college career, they still can not get it right.
Tradition! Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, and Spergon Wynn were taken before Tom Brady.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
You're correct but all of them - along with Mac Jones (15th overall) - were taken in the 1st round. And let's be honest about it since we're comparing them, Lawrence (Jax), Fields (Bears) and Wilson (NY Jets) all have BAD, CRAPPY teams around them - especially Lawrence - and don't have the luxury of Bill Belichick as the HC. Not an apples to apples comparison

Maybe we need to let this play out long-term and revisit it in a few years

Reactions: The Spin Meister
well, its not like many have seen him anyway.

But the fact is that his value has continued to climb all year and the recruiting sites are reflecting that. the local talk shows have said:
  • shoe in for best player in the state
  • Grew several inches from Jr to Sr year
  • Gain ~ 20 lbs and quickness
  • Took a team with a 20 or so preseason ranking in NE Ohio to the championship game
  • Showed much better arm strength and mobility, not to mention pocket awareness
  • And, local buzz is, that the kid is really smart, isn't phased by the buzz and prepares really well (is coachable)
So, my point is, things are static. His ranking just reflects his performance. and better performance bodes well for PSU assuming he signs

You're correct but all of them - along with Mac Jones (15th overall) - were taken in the 1st round. And let's be honest about it since we're comparing them, Lawrence (Jax), Fields (Bears) and Wilson (NY Jets) all have BAD, CRAPPY teams around them - especially Lawrence - and don't have the luxury of Bill Belichick as the HC. Not an apples to apples comparison

Maybe we need to let this play out long-term and revisit it in a few years
I said, the experts "Now" not down the road!

Anthony Morelli, Paul Jones, Rob Bolden, Chris Bell, Antonio Logan-El, Rickey Slade, all the current RB’s < Matt McGloin…..just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT