ADVERTISEMENT

so does Allar start the rest of the year?

The 6th year QB (cannot believe that is even a real thing) got us to this point, but, wow what a train wreck in the last 10 minutes today.

They should at least be splitting time the rest of the way. It seems to me like it would be better to go 9-3 and get Allar lots of playing time, than to go 10-2 and not give him any starts
I believe it was said earlier that Allar wouldn't start unless we lost 3 because of the stupid goal of a NY6 bowl

If Allar was better than clifford he would be starting. What I'm thinking is Allar is not ready, or why are they not utilizing Clifford running ability? I think they are afraid of getting him hurt, and Allar is not ready to go.
You all know it would be obvious in practice which QB is the best.

If Allar was better than clifford he would be starting. What I'm thinking is Allar is not ready, or why are they not utilizing Clifford running ability? I think they are afraid of getting him hurt, and Allar is not ready to go.
Oh baloney, Clifford was starting no matter what if healthy or he wouldn’t have come back. He’s likely better at some things due to experience. He isn’t as good at seeing over linemen and throwing. Two things kind of important for a QB.

Reactions: Ski
lololol

The 6th year QB (cannot believe that is even a real thing) got us to this point, but, wow what a train wreck in the last 10 minutes today.

They should at least be splitting time the rest of the way. It seems to me like it would be better to go 9-3 and get Allar lots of playing time, than to go 10-2 and not give him any starts
Will Levis beat Clifford out 2 years ago but Franklin is stubborn and for some reason he is totally loyal to Clifford. Clifford should have hit the portal in 2020 and Levis should have been our starter in 2020 and 2021. Levis would probably have opted for the draft last year and right now we would have Allar as the starter. Clifford doesn't have the athletic ability to be a top Big 10 QB. He is a fine young man and should have finished his college career at a MAC or ACC school.

Steve Jones who watches practice even said it was obvious who was the better QB between Clifford and Will, at that time anyway. Maybe Will has a better supporting cast at Kentucky or wherever he went.

Reactions: john4psu
Steve Jones who watches practice even said it was obvious who was the better QB between Clifford and Will, at that time anyway. Maybe Will has a better supporting cast at Kentucky or wherever he went.
Will had a much better OLine and RB last year than Clifford did. Their OLine isn’t great this year which is why they likely end up 8-4 this year. And Will had two big turnovers in their biggest game this year and lost, so there’s that.

I just remember when he had to throw vs. OSU in 2019, and it was pretty bad. It is hard to see how the coaches should've known to promote him to starter based on what he did in games.
Even Kentucky fans see a lot of weaknesses in him and most that I talk to don’t see him as a first or second pick. Maybe he will develop in the NFL because he does have a lot of the physical tools, but it’s not like we let Joe Burrow go.

I believe Allar only gets in if 1) the game is settled 2) Clifford gets hurt.

Whether that is right or wrong, I don't know.

I do think efforts need to be made to solidfy depth. QB included. For some players, auditions should begin.

I believe Allar only gets in if 1) the game is settled 2) Clifford gets hurt.

Whether that is right or wrong, I don't know.

I do think efforts need to be made to solidfy depth. QB included. For some players, auditions should begin.
I agree. If we lose a third game I think he'll go to Allar. I think it should be Allar next week but...

I believe it was said earlier that Allar wouldn't start unless we lost 3 because of the stupid goal of a NY6 bowl
That's really sad, he could get some valuable playing time instead of the team playing a meaningless game. And a game where any professional prospects won't be playing.

See Levis tonight for the evidence…not pretty.

Reactions: Gitzit
To be fair to Levis, he's playing through about 4 injuries but he is hurting his team by playing at this point....well, maybe not, they have no chance without him but it is all Tennessee.

If we see the same nonsense from Cliff in the first quarter, then its time to yank him out. No 6 year QB should ever be making the back foot, sloppy lobs, and poorly executed throws he did today.

Reactions: bytir

As I just typed in another thread, the absuolute ceiling has been established for this season, and it's still October.

If NY6 is a goal, who's goal is it? Does Franklin get a bonus for it? Bowl games are now like the wishbone, a vestige of a previous era.
When a ceiling of "2nd tier" is established at this point in the season, it's time for the coach to start considering how to prepare the next meaningful game, Wich is labor day '23.

There is literally nothing to win this year. The next oppty to win something is next year. The focus should now be putting psi in the best position to beat scUM and tOSU next year, or we'll be right here again, next year, talking about '24 when we don't have a first year starter taking snaps.

Reactions: bytir and MacNit07
Will Levis beat Clifford out 2 years ago but Franklin is stubborn and for some reason he is totally loyal to Clifford. Clifford should have hit the portal in 2020 and Levis should have been our starter in 2020 and 2021. Levis would probably have opted for the draft last year and right now we would have Allar as the starter. Clifford doesn't have the athletic ability to be a top Big 10 QB. He is a fine young man and should have finished his college career at a MAC or ACC school.
I don't know where you heard that Levis beat out Clifford. That's interesting, if true.

I don't know if Clifford's problem is athletic ability. He makes some great plays He's good enough where you go into any game thinking there's a chance, or at least I do. He also usually makes a few bad plays each game, seemingly unforced, often at the worst times. Against top competition that's usually the difference between winning and losing.

Reactions: RickinDayton
As I just typed in another thread, the absuolute ceiling has been established for this season, and it's still October.

If NY6 is a goal, who's goal is it? Does Franklin get a bonus for it? Bowl games are now like the wishbone, a vestige of a previous era.
When a ceiling of "2nd tier" is established at this point in the season, it's time for the coach to start considering how to prepare the next meaningful game, Wich is labor day '23.

There is literally nothing to win this year. The next oppty to win something is next year. The focus should now be putting psi in the best position to beat scUM and tOSU next year, or we'll be right here again, next year, talking about '24 when we don't have a first year starter taking snaps.
I don't know, we've had a lot of 2-loss seasons that I remember fondly (1981, 1991, 1993, 1996) even though we had no chance at winning the title those years after loss 2. I think we've ratcheted up expectations so much that we now see it as a lost season if there's no chance for the CFP.

But at this point I'd rather take a chance at going 8-4 with Allar than 10-2 with Clifford.

• Wow
Reactions: bytir and Gitzit
But at this point I'd rather take a chance at going 8-4 with Allar than 10-2 with Clifford.
This I agree with--we should have started Allar week 1 and now we should start him next week
Next year anything less than 11-1 though isn't acceptable. We have to beat Michigan or Ohio State.

I don't know where you heard that Levis beat out Clifford. That's interesting, if true.

I don't know if Clifford's problem is athletic ability. He makes some great plays He's good enough where you go into any game thinking there's a chance, or at least I do. He also usually makes a few bad plays each game, seemingly unforced, often at the worst times. Against top competition that's usually the difference between winning and losing.

Levis never beat out Clifford. You will not find an article that says it. You won't find a coach that speaks it. It's a pipe dream by people who love the "other guy".

Clifford beat out Stevens as a younger player then beat out Levis as the elder player. Clifford is who he is. Levis has given similar performances this year (Ole Miss, Tennessee), except yesterday he didnt have the 3 TD passes.

The difference: Levis still has NFL hype because he's a height weight pro teams desire with arm strength. If you don't think his stock is dropping some after these performances, you may be kidding yourself. Spencer Rattler was a top 10 first round pick last year during the off season. Where's he mentioned at now?

I don't know, we've had a lot of 2-loss seasons that I remember fondly (1981, 1991, 1993, 1996) even though we had no chance at winning the title those years after loss 2. I think we've ratcheted up expectations so much that we now see it as a lost season if there's no chance for the CFP.

Don't disagree about high poll finishes and bowls 25yrs ago, 2022 is not then. I'll also note that you didn't include 2016 when 10-2 got us left out of the playoff for a team we beat, and saw Franklin blow a 3 score lead in the rose bowl.

Imagine if Clifford starts next week after 4 turnovers. Would be hilarious.
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start. I don't care if he starts, but I'll be mad if Allar doesn't get at least some meaningful reps. Maybe like the second quarter. I don't see much upside to playing Clifford the whole game at this point. Reps given to Allar are investments for next year. You can always put Clifford back in if Allar struggles, but I have a feeling that won't be a problem if he's given a shot.

Levis did not beat Clifford out on the field either. That’s he’s better at Kentucky…if he is….is good for him. But he was not the better QB when he had the ball at PSU.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Don't disagree about high poll finishes and bowls 25yrs ago, 2022 is not then. I'll also note that you didn't include 2016 when 10-2 got us left out of the playoff for a team we beat, and saw Franklin blow a 3 score lead in the rose bowl.
Good point - that was a 3-loss season, ultimately, but resulted in a Big Ten championship. We've got no shot at the Big Ten now, so guess I'm looking at seasons where we had no championship possibility, either Big Ten or national.

Kind of like Levis

Reactions: Gitzit

Preparation could be accelerated by a change at the top.

Reactions: heckmans
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT