Jun 26, 2001
Drew Allar
Nick Singleton
Kaytron Allen
Abdul Carter
Dani Dennis Sutton
Drew Shelton
and so many more.
Great class coming in and recruiting should finish out strong when recruits see the potential for championship run.
Great tight end development
Elite DB development with many NFL level talent
Linebackers trending up
Three Oline studs coming in

Now we are seeing elite recruitment and player development everywhere including Oline—- Juice Scruggs was only starter in whole game but line dominated and has true depth

Give Franklin credit— future is bright!!! He runs a great program now poised for championship runs

Gotta hand it to the broadcast analyst Dan Orlovsky. He really did his homework, knows the PSU personnel well, and spoke glowingly about Allar and what he could mean to the program.

Words to the effect that the main thing Penn State needs to join the top ranks nationally is an upgrade in talent at the QB position and Allar may be just the guy.

Gotta hand it to the broadcast analyst Dan Orlovsky. He really did his homework, knows the PSU personnel well, and spoke glowingly about Allar and what he could mean to the program.

Words to the effect that the main thing Penn State needs to join the top ranks nationally is an upgrade in talent at the QB position and Allar may be just the guy.
I found his comments regarding qb being the differentiator to be very interesting. It is no coincidence that the last time we were actually elite was the last time we had a true nfl qb in Kerry Collins. We all loved Trace, and in fact Trace is one of my favorite PSU players over the last few decades, but he truly was a gritty overachieving athlete that could throw a football and by no means an elite qb. Clifford always had the arm to be a great qb but never the confidence. An elite qb puts us in the playoffs multiple times between ‘16 and ‘19 and beats OSU last week. Hope Allar is the answer! Look at Clemson. Without Lawrence they would have been a slightly above average ACC team and instead they were competing with ‘Bama.

First, living in Cleveland, I’ve had enough of the ‘wait’till next year’ mentality. Secondly, tap the brakes. This is a bad Indiana team that, inexplicably, started a QB who is on the team but in the transfer portal. Worse, he gets hurt. Worse, they put in a kid that was clearly an overwhelmed freshman. Then they put in a kid who actually looked competent, because he could run, but they were behind by 3 tds.

So the team did what they needed to do. CJF has them ready to play. We’ve got some great freshmen but, with the portal and the nature of football, there are no guarantees. I am still skeptical of his game time coaching. You watch LSU and Tennessee who have found ways to beat good teams. We still haven’t found a way to do that.

Drew Allar
Nick Singleton
Kaytron Allen
Abdul Carter
Dani Dennis Sutton
Drew Shelton
and so many more.
Great class coming in and recruiting should finish out strong when recruits see the potential for championship run.
Linebackers trending up

Now we are seeing elite recruitment and player development everywhere including Oline—- Juice Scruggs was only starter in whole game but line dominated and has true depth

Give Franklin credit— future is bright!!! He runs a great program now poised for championship runs
Careful now, logic and optimism will get you a lot of enemies on this board!

Agreed. The future is VERY bright!

WE ARE!!!

That and I feel like I learn something relatively new with him in the booth. Like the options available to an offense when you have the two tight ends set in the backfield along with QB and RB.

Drew Allar
Nick Singleton
Kaytron Allen
Abdul Carter
Dani Dennis Sutton
Drew Shelton
and so many more.
Linebackers trending up

And don't sleep on Zane Durant, a year in the weight room and replacing PJ becomes a bit easier.

Do not forget the talent that surrounded Kerry Collins. There was not a running back room any deeper anywhere in the country....and this was not a good Indiana team. But the program is heading in the right direction... for sure.

Reactions: PVBill
That and I feel like I learn something relatively new with him in the booth. Like the options available to an offense when you have the two tight ends set in the backfield along with QB and RB.

He laid out a very cogent case for PSU finishing out the season strong with the amount of quickly improving new talent they're putting on the field..... going to a NY6 Bowl... and being set up for a Championship run the next couple years with Allar at QB. The posing-fan trolls on this board are beside themselves about it.

I don't know about the best ever part but the future does look bright and there is no doubt that Franklins methods for talent evaluation are tough to match. His remark yesterday that it's not just star rankings was spot on.
Now he has to develop the talent, or bring in people who can, or stay out of the way if he has the coaches who can

Drew Allar
Nick Singleton
Kaytron Allen
Abdul Carter
Dani Dennis Sutton
Drew Shelton
and so many more.
Linebackers trending up

This is pure hyperbole. It is way too early to make such judgements. Right now, Franklin's first class (and worst rated one) remains his best by a country mile, never mind some of the classes pre-Franklin. Go look at Kerry Collins freshmen class and say this is the best freshmen class in Penn State history with a straight face. Look at the 05 class. Same story. Maybe it will be it will be in the discussion in two years but not likely given the overall strength of our best classes. This one looks short on both talent and impact.

You don't get a true NFL QB very often, and, the recruiting rankings are notoriously bad at predicting who they will be.
Very true. But one real nfl starter (with all due respect to guys like McGloin and McSorley) since 1994 is not good! That is on Paterno and Franklin obviously. Over the recent years we are producing quality wr’s like never before. Imagine a guy like Lawrence or even Fields throwing to Dotson, Hamler, Godwin, Geseiki, etc over the years. We would be unstoppable with otherwise the same personnel.

This is pure hyperbole. It is way too early to make such judgements. Right now, Franklin's first class (and worst rated one) remains his best by a country mile, never mind some of the classes pre-Franklin. Go look at Kerry Collins freshmen class and say this is the best freshmen class in Penn State history with a straight face. Look at the 05 class. Same story. Maybe it will be it will be in the discussion in two years but not likely given the overall strength of our best classes. This one looks short on both talent and impact.
Another reason to wait is to ultimately determine who sticks around to fulfill the promise of the class. There will be player movement this winter that will force fans to evaluate the team year by year, not based on the promise of recruiting classes presumed to be marching up the depth chart.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

We need a major upgrade in talent on both offensive and defensive lines. We'll never take the next step until we own the LOS.

....Words to the effect that the main thing Penn State needs to join the top ranks nationally is an upgrade in talent at the QB position and Allar may be just the guy.

I take issue with this. Not to suggest that a great QB can't take an otherwise good team and make it great, but the teams we've had of late have had some glaring weaknesses. My point is that many, if not most, great QBs don't get to play on elite teams and many championships are won by teams with good, but not great, QBs. Michigan isn't an elite team because of their QB.

Allar has me as excited as anyone. His progress has been excellent. I just think some other areas of the team need to shore up a bit. We're close. A lot of young talent will mature along with Drew. Franklin should continue to bring in good to great classes. The portal should help. It does change the building process.

I think Allar could very well become a superstar. I just hope we can solidify the OL and LB positions, in particular. The next few years will be fun to watch for sure!

Reactions: Hotshoe
I found his comments regarding qb being the differentiator to be very interesting. It is no coincidence that the last time we were actually elite was the last time we had a true nfl qb in Kerry Collins. We all loved Trace, and in fact Trace is one of my favorite PSU players over the last few decades, but he truly was a gritty overachieving athlete that could throw a football and by no means an elite qb. Clifford always had the arm to be a great qb but never the confidence. An elite qb puts us in the playoffs multiple times between ‘16 and ‘19 and beats OSU last week. Hope Allar is the answer! Look at Clemson. Without Lawrence they would have been a slightly above average ACC team and instead they were competing with ‘Bama.
He also said in the last 6 seasons OSU has had 3 NFL QB's....On of those 3 originally committed to PSU.

talk about hyperbole....come on Wallace....look at the names listed who are playing and playing well as true Freshman. two best runningbacks, best linebacker, best DE, most talented QB, Oline talent, solid DBs, waiting on the WRs who in camp we heard were very solid........Shelton looked solid, the big fella from Washington has looked good at OT......so far an excellent class you could get 10 starters next year out of this class...........

Still need to see a DT step up in this class or next class or portal for a large body and I would like to see a 6'3" or taller WR who can scare a defense........... the rest of the team looks pretty solid with DBs as good as anyone in the country.

Reactions: bison13 and royboy
"I never was but am always to be, and everyone looks forward to me."

There is no future, only present. How many times must PSU miss the boat by Halloween and we are left with "the future".

If Franklin holds onto lead last week, PSU is Md, Rutgers and MSU away from the playoff or pretty darn close. Now we are hoping for the Citrus, a 3rd place finish and "next year". The cycle never stops.

Reactions: manilion
How’s WR look next year?
I like what I have seen from 82, He has size. I like 18 as well. Shows quickness like Hamler.
I am warming to our OC. I like how he is shaping run game.
I also like 11 and 41. I want both on field from here on out

It's not good, but, both Morelli and Hackenberg were rated so highly coming out of HS, that most thought they would be NFL QBs. And in fact, Hackenberg did play in the NFL. Maybe Morelli played on a practice squad. McGloin was a better NFL QB than either of them and he was not on the radar of the recruiting services. Tom Brady would not have been given 'five stars' in the silly recruiting rankings.
Heck, Hackenberg was picked in the 2nd round by an NFL team. Well, kind of an NFL team...it was the Jets.

Very true. But one real nfl starter (with all due respect to guys like McGloin and McSorley) since 1994 is not good! That is on Paterno and Franklin obviously. Over the recent years we are producing quality wr’s like never before. Imagine a guy like Lawrence or even Fields throwing to Dotson, Hamler, Godwin, Geseiki, etc over the years. We would be unstoppable with otherwise the same personnel.
Curious data point as 1994. How many prior to 1994?

I am impressed with Orlovsky every time I hear him. Does his homework. Him and Bob "whatever his name is" are a solid team. I know they got off track about candy the last part of the broadcast. But the game was a blowout and they were having some fun. To me, Blackledge and Orlovsky are better analysts than Herbstreit. They give more indepth analysis of plays.

Who returns next year?
Sounds like Olu and Joey Porter are gone for sure. Washington & Jacobs would be big losses. Hopefully we keep 2 if our 3 TEs.

And don't sleep on Zane Durant, a year in the weight room and replacing PJ becomes a bit easier.
Really like his motor and upside. Hopefully he can get up around 290-295, maintain it and retain his quickness.

Who returns next year?
Sounds like Olu and Joey Porter are gone for sure. Washington & Jacobs would be big losses. Hopefully we keep 2 if our 3 TEs.
The major consideration for Olu is his age. That would give me pause. I think Jacobs needs another year in the weight room and on the field in college football. JPJ is definitely gone and probably Parker Washington.

How’s WR look next year?
I like what I have seen from 82, He has size. I like 18 as well. Shows quickness like Hamler.
I am warming to our OC. I like how he is shaping run game.
I also like 11 and 41. I want both on field from here on out
Regarding WR, I thought Kaden Saunders would play this year based on how well he did @ all the camps against the high end DBs. Maybe it's a weight issue?

Reactions: NCLION
Drew Allar
Nick Singleton
Kaytron Allen
Abdul Carter
Dani Dennis Sutton
Drew Shelton
and so many more.
Linebackers trending up

Don't care if IU is having a down year. Those were true Freshman playing very well yesterday and they will be the core of next year's team. Priority #1 from the portal is a big space eating DT. I would also like to see Beamon moved to DE. I think he would be an impact player.

Careful now, logic and optimism will get you a lot of enemies on this board!

Agreed. The future is VERY bright!

WE ARE!!!
Bright only if the Offensive Line and QB and LBs get major upgrades.

Lots of ifs and the recruiting pipeline is only fair on OL and LBs.

The major consideration for Olu is his age. That would give me pause. I think Jacobs needs another year in the weight room and on the field in college football. JPJ is definitely gone and probably Parker Washington.
We have to replace our top 3 pass catchers if Tinsley, Washington, and Strange leave. Jacobs would be a big loss too. We would be relying on 2 true freshmen LBs.

First, living in Cleveland, I’ve had enough of the ‘wait’till next year’ mentality. Secondly, tap the brakes. This is a bad Indiana team that, inexplicably, started a QB who is on the team but in the transfer portal. Worse, he gets hurt. Worse, they put in a kid that was clearly an overwhelmed freshman. Then they put in a kid who actually looked competent, because he could run, but they were behind by 3 tds.

So the team did what they needed to do. CJF has them ready to play. We’ve got some great freshmen but, with the portal and the nature of football, there are no guarantees. I am still skeptical of his game time coaching. You watch LSU and Tennessee who have found ways to beat good teams. We still haven’t found a way to do that.
Those Freshman are real impact players.

I am impressed with Orlovsky every time I hear him. Does his homework. Him and Bob "whatever his name is" are a solid team. I know they got off track about candy the last part of the broadcast. But the game was a blowout and they were having some fun. To me, Blackledge and Orlovsky are better analysts than Herbstreit. They give more indepth analysis of plays.
I agree

Bright only if the Offensive Line and QB and LBs get major upgrades.

Lots of ifs and the recruiting pipeline is only fair on OL and LBs.
Agree but we did get two 4* LBs. It's tough to count on true freshmen though.

Herbstreit loves to hear himself talk. Can never enjoy a second or two of peace and quiet with those two doing a game.

Liked the crew yesterday….a more refreshing take by both guys…although, I gotta say they were both wrong about one thing though…Snickers is the clear #1 mainstream candy bar.

Herbstreit loves to hear himself talk. Can never enjoy a second or two of peace and quiet with those two doing a game.

Liked the crew yesterday….a more refreshing take by both guys…although, I gotta say they were both wrong about one thing though…Snickers is the clear #1 mainstream candy bar.

Reactions: NedFromYork

Also need a dominant WR ala Robinson. Parker is good, but not dominant. Need dominant player on D-line and/or LB. Carter looks like he could be it and let's hope Sutton is. Then, we can talk matching up against the likes of OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT